Tummy/gut ache or pulled muscle(s)?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
This may seem like a silly question but here goes.

For more than a couple of days (certainly more than the whole of today and yesterday, day before as well I think), my abdomen has been feeling tender. I have Crohn's disease so my gut not being happy about something would hardly be a newsflash, but these symptoms are unusual for me. It feels like the slightest movement affecting that area produces a 'twinge' type of discomfort. I think it probably is gut related because of how non-specific the area is (though maybe a more consistent tender area is equi-distant between my belly button and my right side).

However, I'm wondering whether it might be some kind of pulled muscle because while I've been doing slow press-ups for some time now (holding the lowest position for a couple of seconds, then all the other part of the exercise is slow), I recently started using a couple of light weights for bicep work as well as an exercise movement that I would liken to the arm movements one would do during the butterfly stroke when swimming. Yesterday I stopped the exercises to see if the tenderness would go away but nothing seems to have changed.

I'm acquainted with the feeling of a generic abdomen muscle pull, ie. a lot of discomfort when using abdomen muscles primarily for moving from lying on one's back to an upright position, but this discomfort doesn't seem to consistently be triggered if I try to find a movement that triggers it. It's more like the temporary tenseness when getting ready to change positions seems to trigger it, but I just can't put my finger on it.

hightree

Jan 4, 2016
Pulled muscle would be likely tender at the exact spot.

The pain you have described can come from the intestine. The location is suspiciously close to the appendix. Appendicitis usually develops quicker as you've described, but if the pain moves further to the right and down or if you get fever or nausea you can start thinking about it.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
to make a long story short, suggest you make sure you've been regular. If not, grab the milk of magnesia and let er rip.