[TT]NVIDIA's rumored GeForce GTX 990M to offer insane portable performance

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/46981...-offer-insane-portable-performance/index.html

"..NVIDIA's purported GeForce GTX 990M would reportedly be as fast as current GTX 980M SLI configurations, with the GTX 980M being based off of the GM204 die with 1536 CUDA cores. A laptop powered by GTX 980M SLI beats a desktop GTX 980 by around 10%, so for a GTX 990M to beat both of those setups, we're talking about some serious mobile performance...."
I believe this is real impressive if true and thoughI am not in the market for this card I bet many portable gamers will love it lol

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
....And priced accordingly.

For those who dabble in portability with no concern for pricing it sounds like the future goto.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Impressive but the last part in that article is BS:

"we could be looking at mobile 4K 60FPS gaming on the GTX 990M."

Ya right, not even 980Ti SLI can do that.

If NV goes for 150-180W TDP, I can see how there could be a highly binned card with 2500+ CUDA cores given where M6000/M5000 sit in terms of performance vs. TDP. The 980M SLI being only 10% faster than a single 980 sounds a bit suspicious to me though because 970M SLI = 980 MAX power target/turbo without overclocking.

Very impressive stuff by NV. They truly are in a league of their own right now when it comes to mobile dGPUs. Having said that, I never consider 8.5-10 lbs gaming laptops "laptops". They are basically unusable for productivity given their horrible battery life, they are way too heavy to use in college/university on a daily basis (and again their battery life is junk), their gaming performance on battery is about 30-40% of the plugged in usage, their screens are usually far inferior to what we can get externally. Personally, I'd probably get a MacBook Air (or similar) and just build myself a miniITX gaming rig and connect it to a 32"+ monitor but I suppose for those working in consulting or jobs that require travel 75% of the time, this gaming laptop is probably the only solution to game on the go if hardcore PC gaming is the goal.

Can't wait to see what Pascal brings to the table.

Last edited:

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
...Having said that, I never consider 8.5-10 lbs gaming laptops "laptops". They are basically unusable for productivity given their horrible battery life, they are way too heavy to use in college/university on a daily basis (and again their battery life is junk)...

That's exactly what I was thinking. The 980M sli @ 180W will knock a 9000mah battery down from 100% charge to zero in about 30 minutes, faster if you include the rest of the laptop. That means it needs to stay plugged in, the battery acts more like a built-in UPS than a normal source of power.

They are like the modern day equivalent of one of these (this was the type of system I went to college with, a Corona luggable) :

Cordata_PPC-400-25-200.jpg

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

If NV goes for 150-180W TDP, I can see how there could be a highly binned card with 2500+ CUDA cores given where M6000/M5000 sit in terms of performance vs. TDP. The 980M SLI being only 10% faster than a single 980 sounds a bit suspicious to me though because 970M SLI = 980 MAX power target/turbo without overclocking.

Very impressive stuff by NV. They truly are in a league of their own right now when it comes to mobile dGPUs. Having said that, I never consider 8.5-10 lbs gaming laptops "laptops". They are basically unusable for productivity given their horrible battery life, they are way too heavy to use in college/university on a daily basis (and again their battery life is junk), their gaming performance on battery is about 30-40% of the plugged in usage, their screens are usually far inferior to what we can get externally. Personally, I'd probably get a MacBook Air (or similar) and just build myself a miniITX gaming rig and connect it to a 32"+ monitor but I suppose for those working in consulting or jobs that require travel 75% of the time, this gaming laptop is probably the only solution to game on the go if hardcore PC gaming is the goal.

Holy crap the results in that Techspot review.

Metro Redux, SLI 980 Ti Stock ~= CF Fury X OC and uses ~150W less power.
Tomb Raider, same SLI 98 Ti Stock ~= CF Fury X OC but this time uses ~70W less.
Civ, SLI 980 Ti Stock > CF Fury X OC, and again uses ~150W less power.

I wished they showed power consumption on games where stock CF Fury X Stock > SLI 980 Ti OC.

So much power used to still lose, and in Civ by such a huge margin.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com

I wished they showed power consumption on games where stock CF Fury X Stock > SLI 980 Ti OC.

Weird, I just assumed that Fury X CFX would win almost all the time vs. stock 980 TI's.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Weird, I just assumed that Fury X CFX would win almost all the time vs. stock 980 TI's.

I think the other reviews we saw were 3+ GPUs where AMD just destroyed Nvidia.

I guess at two cards, it can go either way. Surprised to see NV win in Civ:BE, since I was recently informed it's an AMD BE Game:

civbe_3840_2160.gif

Unless it's the dreaded driver overhead issue on CFX, even Techspot shows Fury X > 980 Ti, but adding the second card SLI runs over CFX OC and doesn't look back, all while using ~150W less.

Civ_01.png

Power_03.png

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Surprised to see NV win in Civ:BE, since I was recently informed it's an AMD BE Game:

That's why it's always good to look at 10-20 reviews, as many as possible to get an overall idea. Some systems can have driver issues, some drivers have issues, some settings have issues. At Computerbase, Fury X CF beat 980TI SLI in CIV:BE at 12K gaming with still a respectable 66 fps:

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-07/...diagramm-civilization-beyond-earth-11520-2160

Way to cherry-pick 1 game and ignore the entire review and again cherry-picking stock power usage while ignoring the review.

Not that this thread has anything to do with it because my reference was specifically to the comment how 990M would be able to hit 60 fps at 4K. However, since you decided to derail the thread/main message, maybe next time you try to do that at least read the actual review.

From that review:

1. The average frame rate data saw the Fury X cards come out 4% ahead of the GTX 980 Tis based on the 10 games that we tested at 4K.

2. If you are going to try to cherry-pick some games to go along with your power usage metrics, maybe be reasonable and discuss the situations where 980Ti SLI bombs too:

Where the Fury X Crossfire setup won big was in Thief where it was 50% faster and Total War: Attila where it was 36% faster.

3. Now for the interesting part, typically we expect Nvidia to have the edge when looking at frame time (99th percentile) performance, but this wasn't the case here. The R9 Fury X Crossfire cards were on average 22% faster when comparing the 99th percentile data.

In other words, your rant not only was biased since you failed to acknowledge that Fury X CF is actually faster than 980TI SLI but you suggested that 980Ti SLI is faster on average while using 150W less power.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with the main thread but thanks for derailing the main point.

No. If you look at CF vs. SLI, both have scaling/frame times issues depending on the games. On average though Fury X CF does beat 980TI SLI when comparing stock vs. stock performance and frame times. If you happen to play games that scale better on NV, then you could have 980Ti SLI winning 100% of the time. I am not sure how this is new.

However, a certain poster decided to cherry-pick the data to prove his power usage by not disclosing that while a stock 980Ti SLI uses less power, it actually loses on average. Sure, in overclocked states 980TI SLI is superior but then the power usage is nearly the same.

Anyway, I am curious to see what the 990M specs are if the rumors are that it's actually faster than 980 desktop version. Even if it's just 10% faster than the desktop 980, that's seriously impressive for a laptop part.

So the 990M is almost as fast as a 980ti? That's crazy.

I find that hard to believe unless the TDP is 160-180W. We all know that 980Ti reference card is severely held back in terms of its true potential just like HD7950/7970 cards were. While the reference 980TI boosts to about 1202mhz, in after-market form 1480-1525mhz is common. If comparing the speeds at which enthusiasts will actually run a 980Ti on the desktop, 990M will never come close to it. Sure in stock form it might be within 15-20% of the performance but how many enthusiasts buy a reference 980TI instead of an after-market 980Ti and then also run it completely stock?

The other thing is, it would be one thing if the 990M could offer 80-90% of the performance of a 980Ti in an awesome laptop like the MacBook Pro or the 4.3-4.5 lbs 15.6" laptop like the MSi Gaming Ghost, but it's only going to end up in desktop replacement products that weigh > 8.5 lbs, are almost 2" thick, have non-existent battery life and cost > $2500 US.

It's been a long time since I graduated from university but I just can't see how buying a $2500 laptop this heavy with pathetic battery life is a good choice vs. building a desktop that sits in your dorm/rental apartment and having a super thin and light laptop with 8-12 hours of battery life for school. Besides, if someone went to college/university, they are paying tens of thousands of dollars a year to learn, not play videogames. I would personally never buy my kid a gaming laptop from the age of 18-22. Since I was 18 I've tried to figure out why these laptops exist and outside of consultants who travel 5 days a week out of the office, I still can't figure out how these "gaming laptops" are popular and gaining popularity?

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
That's why it's always good to look at 10-20 reviews, as many as possible to get an overall idea. Some systems can have driver issues, some drivers have issues, some settings have issues. At Computerbase, Fury X CF beat 980TI SLI in CIV:BE at 12K gaming with still a respectable 66 fps:

http://www.computerbase.de/2015-07/...diagramm-civilization-beyond-earth-11520-2160

Okay, what am I going to do with a 11520x2160 resolution benchmark? And you accuse me of cherry picking?

Way to cherry-pick 1 game and ignore the entire review and again cherry-picking stock power usage while ignoring the review.

Did you not ready my post where I compared the three games with power consumption, not just one? Or where I said "I wish they showed power consumption for the other games." Or did you just gloss over it like you usually do?

Here let me quote it for you:

Not that this thread has anything to do with it because my reference was specifically to the comment how 990M would be able to hit 60 fps at 4K. However, since you decided to derail the thread/main message, maybe next time you try to do that at least read the actual review.

Sorry for commenting on the link you posted, the info in it was new to me.

Try to read my posts before you accuse of me anything, please. Thanks.

EDIT:
In other words, your rant not only was biased since you failed to acknowledge that Fury X CF is actually faster than 980TI SLI but you suggested that 980Ti SLI is faster on average while using 150W less power.

You know what I'm so sick and tired of you twisting other people's post for whatever reason, here is the conclusion from the article YOU linked:

And the Winner is...
As a result, when comparing average frame rates once overclocked, the GTX 980 Ti graphics cards became 11% faster on average. Games where the GTX 980 Ti SLI cards were previously slower, such as Battlefield 4 and Watch Dogs, now favored the green team.

Gamers wanting to play at 4K will be happy with either setup overall, but we feel Nvidia offers a more consistent gaming experience while allowing for an additional 15% performance bump through overclocking. Normally we don't place so much emphasis on overclocking, but we feel those seeking an enthusiast multi-GPU setup are probably able and willing to enjoy the benefits of overclocking

Last edited:

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
To me it looks like he just wants to argue and promote AMD products in the nvidia sub forum. Fury this and fury cf that, Ignore him.

Even if he don't see the point in a 2500$ powerful gaming laptop, you can bet that many people would be really really excited if such a product did come out.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Looks like he just wants to argue, and promote AMD products in the nvidia sub forum. Ignore him

Even if he don't see the point in a 2500$ powerful gaming laptop, you can bet that many people would be really really excited if such a product did come out.

I guess what pissed me off is he quoted my post where I compared three games, cut out the body of my post (where I compared three games) then goes on to say

At that point don't even bother responding to me if you're going to ignore half my post and accuse me of something I didn't do because you ignored most of my post.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
yeah, i think I would be offended too. I might take it as a personal attack.

But was it really? Or just an opportunity to plug fury cf in the nvidia sub Forum?

Idk

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Quit calling others out. Railven was the first to make comparisons to AMD in this thread. This is a warning to all involved, get back on topic or the thread will be closed and appropriate action taken.

Moderator Subyman

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011

I had one of those in the XT days! A Compaq equivalent...

But, yeah, these types of gamer laptops aren't designed to run on battery (I wonder why they bother!) LUG from home to destination, then plug in.

I'm okay with that. Heck, the designers should plan for this and just dump the battery for more cooling space and be a couple pounds lighter.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012

Sorry but that article is bullshit. I get better FPS on my crossfired 290x's.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

So when they say "we could be looking at mobile 4K 60FPS gaming on the GTX 990M." You immediately think "maxed out in all AAA titles". You certainly can play most games at high or better settings. Even in AAA titles that are super demanding, you can turn down a few settings and enjoy a game at 4K resolution. That quote does not say "with maxed settings" and it didn't specify any games.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I think the other reviews we saw were 3+ GPUs where AMD just destroyed Nvidia.

I guess at two cards, it can go either way. Surprised to see NV win in Civ:BE, since I was recently informed it's an AMD BE Game:

What you may not be aware of is that Civ:BE uses SFR in Mantle. While SFR can be smoother, or at least this is why they chose it, it does not give as good of FPS as AFR.

I know a lot of people excited about the use of SFR in DX12, due to providing more consistent frame times, but this is why I doubt it will be used often. The scaling is just dreadful with SFR.