Tryptophan - should I try it?

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Been considering supplementing with tryptophan, due to sleep reasons. I'm pretty much lacking in any sleep. I already have GABA and melatonin supplements.

What's the word on tryptophan?
Anyone a fan of the trypto?

I know to be cautious if simultaneously using other serotonin-boosting meds. Maybe I'll start out at 100mg.
What could go wrong?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
never tried it. i use these if i have rough sleep over a few days, usually due to stress:
Sleep-eze_spotlights_03.png

haven't had to take them in a while though. I also drink tart cherry juice which is melatonin related. And exercise.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
It's been years since I popped some Di-HCL aids (typical OTC stuff). Might be time to revisit them.

I'm kind of looking for stuff I haven't tried - more in the amino acid/ mineral/ vitamin vein.
As of now I plan to dabble in SAMe and cautiously, Tryptophan.
I bought tryptophan yesterday, and today I'll go find some SAMe.

Exercise is great, but I'm too exhausted to do that at the moment. Maybe just some walking around ...

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It's been years since I popped some Di-HCL aids (typical OTC stuff). Might be time to revisit them.

I'm kind of looking for stuff I haven't tried - more in the amino acid/ mineral/ vitamin vein.
As of now I plan to dabble in SAMe and cautiously, Tryptophan.
I bought tryptophan yesterday, and today I'll go find some SAMe.

Exercise is great, but I'm too exhausted to do that at the moment. Maybe just some walking around ...

I'd tread lightly on the SAMe. I tried that years ago and it's really meant as a natural anti-depressant. It made me feel kind of spaced out, very similar to Zoloft.

Reactions: FeuerFrei

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
ahh, tryptophan. Popped some just now for the first time ever. :relieved: Such a calmness, and sense of well-being. It's a window into a forgotten world. Been soo long since I felt this way.
Starting out at low dose - less than 50mg - maybe 20? Lidtke brand.

I d e f i n i t e l y should have tried this sooner.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
ahh, tryptophan. Popped some just now for the first time ever. :relieved: Such a calmness, and sense of well-being. It's a window into a forgotten world. Been soo long since I felt this way.
Starting out at low dose - less than 50mg - maybe 20? Lidtke brand.

I d e f i n i t e l y should have tried this sooner.

I would add magnesium to that to help you actually achieve enough REM cycles during your sleep.

I used to do tryptophan and it works, no doubt about it but even though I got to bed earlier and slept through the night i was always just as tired in the morning until I started taking ZMA (416mg of magnesium, zink and B6 that is unimportant to this issue). Now I don't need the trypto and I feel more rested after sleeping 7 hours on this than I ever did when sleeping 10 on trypto.

Try it alone or as a combo, just a tip.

Reactions: FeuerFrei