Question Trying to tether my mobile phone to my router via Ethernet Tether. Not sure what adapter I need.

Tarvaln

Apr 28, 2004
So, I'm trying to tether my mobile phone to my router's WAN port to use my hotspot as the internet connection for the router. I'm guessing this can be done via Ethernet Tether on my phone (andriod 11+) But, all of the Usb c to Ethernet adapters I've seen only transfer data from the ethernet cable to the usb c. Not the other way. I've looked at adapters from Ugreen, Belkin, and Uni.
I'm looking for an adapter that can transfer from usb c to ethernet. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

P.S. I know you can use a Pi and basically do a bridge connection but, I was hoping for a simpler and cheaper solution with the new Ethernet Tether ability.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I haven't tried this but sabrent makes good C adapters that just work. I keep a 5ge on standby for when I need to get my Linux box online with livecd since the on board and pcie cards aren't included in the drivers automatically.

Any adapter should work in both directions though as long as the phone recognizes it.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Buy a travel router/wifi extender, put it in client/bridge mode and connect wirelessly to smartphone's hotspot,

then wire existing router WAN port to travel router / wifi exender.

Reactions: VirtualLarry