Trying to set up older HP printer with Windows 7 Home Premium

jyates

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Hi folks,

Got my wife a new laptop yesterday and I'm trying to share my older HP PSC 750XI USB printer/copier/scanner that is on our wireless network and it can't find the drivers with the windows update feature. The laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it.

I hooked the laptop and the printer up directly and it found the drivers to make it work automatically on windows update, but it will only "find" the printer on the network but it can't / won't install drivers for it.

Any tips? (Other than go and buy a newer printer) :)

Thanks,
Jim

jyates

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
They don't offer printer drivers on the HP website for this older printer with Windows 7....XP is where they stop supporting it....they say that they are available on the windows update on the internet which works fine when the printer is connected directly to the laptop but trying to install printer through the wireless network it appears to be trying the windows update but it doesn't load drivers.

I even connected the printer directly to the laptop and installed it and it worked fine and hoped that maybe when I tried it through the wireless network that it would "remember"
where the drivers were but that didn't work.......

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I even connected the printer directly to the laptop and installed it and it worked fine and hoped that maybe when I tried it through the wireless network that it would "remember" where the drivers were but that didn't work.......

There are two ways to install a printer. 1. As a stand alone, direct connection. 2. As a network printer. Did you try both installations?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Chances are if you can't find hacked drivers for the printer your not going to get it working with your Win7 PC. Vista and Win7 have a different driver structure so they are unable to use older drivers. So older devices that haven't had driver updates to support Vista and Win7 aren't going to work for you. The manufactures of the devices just don't want to spend the time and money to develop new drivers for products they don't produce anymore.

jyates

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Chances are if you can't find hacked drivers for the printer your not going to get it working with your Win7 PC. Vista and Win7 have a different driver structure so they are unable to use older drivers. So older devices that haven't had driver updates to support Vista and Win7 aren't going to work for you. The manufactures of the devices just don't want to spend the time and money to develop new drivers for products they don't produce anymore.

Understood......I just bought several new ink cartridges for this printer and really hate to throw it away and go and buy a new one that gets along with Vista/Win7.

What I don't understand that if the windows update on the internet installs the drivers for the printer when it's hooked up directly to the laptop why it won't do the same thing when trying to install and share it on my wireless network?

Jim

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Because its not directly connected to a single system. The system isn't going to automatically ID the printer on the network. Sure it will show up in your network folder but the system isn't going to know that its something that needs drivers until you point to it and try to use it. When you try to print to it the system should see that it needs drivers for it and then try to find them. Don't take my word for it since i never tried to deal with a networked attached device. All my items are connected to a system then shared on the network. But i'm pretty sure thats how it goes.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I have a similar printer an HP PSC750 but to lazy to try myself. but you should be able to install it by usb allow windows to find the driver then go into C:\windows\system32\spool and copy the drivers from there and manually add the printer. and point to the copy of those drivers