Trying to resolve an issue with my new vid card.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
My system:
New card- Diamond HD4870 1 gig
q6600 processor at 2.4 ghz
Old card- 8800GT
P5k Deluxe- current bios
Vista 64
8 gigs OCZ ram
Silencer power supply 750 watts
Display Samsung LED/DLP HDTV

I uninstalled (from program manager) the Nvidia drivers, installed the new card and DL catalyst 8.11 drivers from the ATI site.

It looks fine until I try to use it for games. Far Cry 2 (which ran fine but slow on the old card) wouldn't load. Sometimes it just started then stopped. Sometimes it ran fine until I tried to change it to DX10, when I got severe artifacts. It came up as 640x480 and what should be on the left side of the scrren is moved to the right, and the left is just a mess. The cursor moves off the screen and wraps around. Hard to explain, but there's massive artifacts. Bioshock shows the first screen where I can select play/update/configure etc, but when I click the "play" button, it just goes away. I tried running in Admin mode. Nothing.

So I uninstalled/reinstalled Farcry and the same thing happened.

What's happening?

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Try *deleting or renaming your "Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2" folder.

*Deleting will delete your saved games

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
So I have Far Cry 2 running. Here's what I did.

Went in safe mode and used a driver cleaner to remove what was left of nvidia files
Loaded the drivers from the Diamond site.
Went to AMD and loaded Catalyst 8.11 and the hotfix for Far Cry 2

It works now, but the performance is hardly different from the 8800gt it replaced
DX10 is completely unplayable.

The benchmark app set at 1280x720- Overall performance at high, and very high for fire, physics and trees. No AA

Peak frame rate is 23
Average is 15
Low is 9 fps.

That's completely unacceptable for a high end card. Something is still not right

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Ack, this gets worse and worse.

Ran 3d vantage

P5559

CPU score 10397
Graphics score 4813

Did Unigine Tropics, default values

17.2 FPS, Score 325

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Something definitely seems out of whack. Were you running the Ranch benchmark? Or something else?

I actually just got this game today (Black Friday special from Amazon). Cat 8.11 in my case. I have the 512MB HD4870, and I definitely did see some noticeable texture draw-in. Other than that, I didn't notice anything unusual.

I'm probably not using the exact same settings as you, but my benchmark results.

Are you only having problems with DX10? The main differences I saw between DX9 and DX10 were the environment destruction effects (i.e. the trees getting blown up looked more spectacular with DX10). Nothing too critical though. You've installed all of the Vista updates right?

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Ok, I just reread your post. I'd have to check to be sure, but I thought that the Far Cry 2 hotfix was intended for Cat 8.10, not Cat 8.11...

Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Went in safe mode and used a driver cleaner to remove what was left of nvidia files
Loaded the drivers from the Diamond site.
Went to AMD and loaded Catalyst 8.11 and the hotfix for Far Cry 2