Question Trying to quiet water pump - do these coils get hot enough to ignite foam or sound dampening material?

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I’d like to line the housing with something to reduce vibration noise, but figured I’d ask first if the exposed copper being in contact with the material poses any danger. Does anyone know if they get hot enough to do that?

The pump is a Swiftech MCP30/MCP50x.

24DC0469-19C6-4E6F-8F33-2A3E0FFDF43A.jpeg

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I’d like to line the housing with something to reduce vibration noise, but figured I’d ask first if the exposed copper being in contact with the material poses any danger. Does anyone know if they get hot enough to do that?

The pump is a Swiftech MCP30/MCP50x.

View attachment 22299

Nooo, you cannot or should not try to dampen the pump which will only lead to overheating the pump. What you want to do is decouple the pump from your case chassis. And the other thing is you do not need to run this pump over 60% PWM. You get 99% of the power at just under 60% PWM. Are you running yours all the way to 100%? These pumps get ridiculously loud past 70% PWM.

Reactions: aigomorla

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Yes they do get hot... rediculously hot enough to melt gell isolation pad PetraTech used to sell.
This is why you see metal housing with heat sinks on them as options, and all my DDCs have aftermarket heatsinks.

If you want quiet, you should of gotten a D5.

Reactions: Meghan54

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Yes they do get hot... rediculously hot enough to melt gell isolation pad PetraTech used to sell.
This is why you see metal housing with heat sinks on them as options, and all my DDCs have aftermarket heatsinks.

If you want quiet, you should of gotten a D5.

Ain't that the truth! DDC's run hot. Full stop.

When I was active in watercooling, I ran a pair of DDC2's in series via an XSPC top. As there were no heatsinks available for that pump when I was active, I made a small decoupling platform for the pumps and mounted an active fan below the pumps. Seems to have worked...still have those DDC2 pumps, decided last week to test them out and they still work.

Such fun squirting water all over creation! Darned pumps are still strong as heck.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I am not familiar with this pump, but my initial impression after seeing the pic was to agree with
thesmokingman. Yes you should dampen the chassis mounting.

However then I took a look at the pic again, it seems to have some outer cover over it. Is that outer cover what is vibrating against the main, lower portion? Is that outer cover required (for mounting) or just for visual aesthetics? If it is just to make it prettier, I'd leave the cover off as it is also causing an insulating air pocket that would make it run hotter still.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I am not familiar with this pump, but my initial impression after seeing the pic was to agree with
thesmokingman. Yes you should dampen the chassis mounting.

However then I took a look at the pic again, it seems to have some outer cover over it. Is that outer cover what is vibrating against the main, lower portion? Is that outer cover required (for mounting) or just for visual aesthetics? If it is just to make it prettier, I'd leave the cover off as it is also causing an insulating air pocket that would make it run hotter still.

The noise isn't from the case and without the case it might leak or worse. Again, you people need to read the reviews of said pump and PAY ATTN to the PWM curve. This pump does not like to be run above 70% duty cycle unless you are deaf. Read up on Martin's heat scope testing, the heat from DDC style pumps is on the bottom of the pump, which is why they make heatsinks for the bottom of the pump. The 50x is pretty close to classic DDC albeit with a different impeller style, so close enough.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
These are the heatsinks on my DDC BTW.
I thought i should share them.
20190617-115857.jpg

They are made by Barrow. But i am not sure if they will work on your ddc's as mine are original Laing, and yours seem to be a copy, as in the originals had a PCB while that one seems like it does not.