Feb 28, 2015
hello, hello
good to see everybody

just installed Windows 95 many times
goes to splash screen then goes to error
new computer
1) windows protection error or
2) insufficient memory

does anybody know enough about computers to solve this?
is there a computer expert out there somewhere in the blue yonder?

Captain Kirk

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
new computer

1) windows protection error or
2) insufficient memory

If you're trying to install Windows 95 on new hardware, that would be issue. That OS is so old, it would not even know what the components were. A lot has changed hardware-wise since 95 was supported.

Heck, a person has to do extra steps to install Windows 7 on some modern hardware, and that OS was still being supported and updated.

Why do you want to install such an old OS anyways?

pjmssn

Aug 17, 2017
Actually, I installed windows 3.1 in a virtual machine and it worked great. I managed to run a very old version of MATLAB a run a program I had written in my first years of college. I am sure you can install Windows 95 or 3.1 on a TR build, but in a VM!
I think it is time to move on and get a license for WIndows 10...

pjmssn

Aug 17, 2017
It might even be possible to run Windows 95 in DosBOX (?) In linux. Definitely in a VM in linux.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
What is up with people trying to install old versions of Windows on new computers? Or for that matter using such old versions of Windows at all???

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
What is up with people trying to install old versions of Windows on new computers? Or for that matter using such old versions of Windows at all???
Maybe because the two latest versions are steaming garbage and they want to look back to where Microsoft exactly went wrong? :D

Reactions: fiskrond

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
ProTip: Don't try to install Win9x on anything newer than an LGA775 rig on Intel, or AM3 on AMD.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I was able to get 98SE to install on a vm a month or two ago. No success with anything older.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
That I can see doing with old versions of Windows.
it took some doing to get it to recognize my USB sticks.

Overall it's working quite nicely but I need a better browser. Might even try KernelEX.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Even back in the day when Win95 was the latest, you were likely to run into errors.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
it took some doing to get it to recognize my USB sticks.

Overall it's working quite nicely but I need a better browser. Might even try KernelEX.
How are you able to connect to the internet with Win98SE? AFAIK Win9x doesn't support DSL or Cable OOTB, and I can't see ISPs even bothering with supporting such old OSes.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
AFAIK Win9x doesn't support DSL or Cable OOTB,
Nonsense! Sure it does. It just doesn't support IPv6.

Edit: To clarify, Win9x supports ethernet LANs just fine, and that is what connects to a DSL router or cable modem / router.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Nonsense! Sure it does. It just doesn't support IPv6.

Edit: To clarify, Win9x supports ethernet LANs just fine, and that is what connects to a DSL router or cable modem / router.
Sorry I was having a brain fart, I should have already known the answer.:grimacing:

Captain Kirk

Feb 28, 2015
UsandThem, hello!
how's your day today?
big%20hug.gif

i didn't hear about difficulties with windows 7 being installed on new computers already. interesting!
looking to utilitize my graphics capabilities. vm machines are limited to the sky national debt limit of 256 vRAM (OR 22 trillion dollar in the USA)
i must run these programs in windows 95 as "system requirements" for the programs, and then GPU use.

I do have one program that runs in 3.1 but it is all on floppy 3.5's. I don't have a floopy eared dog right now so i can't use it. do you want to install it?
i don't install anything less than windows 95!!!

XavierMace, hi

this is not the same person
person #2: this is

hi Rifter, nice to meet

what is a necro? you mean like the moneychangers in the church, those undead creatures that are buried alive, unliving things without any humanity and who
have NO Absolute Power scruples about starting WW3?

pjmssn, hello

I own windows 10. that is not the point. now your going to find a person next who ONLY has the OS of 3.1 trying to run programs and he is going to ask you
questions about doing it. And you will love helping him!!

VM is definitely out of the question at the moment, as there is a vRAM limit (256): I need higher than this, as much as the program requires
or it is completely useless.....

howdy whm1974, good to hear from you!

not so fond of linux. I've tried it, but not so great.

hi whm1974

REASONS:
1) the challenge. success = yea, now I'm an expert
2) program "system requirements"
3) full use all the vRAM capabilities:cool:
4) can only be run in DOS. DOS is an OS. later versions discontinued this. Also, in windows 10, in dos prompt, even simple program commands
such as "sfc /scannow" can not utilize the sfc utility from "inside" the pentegram of the pentagon in the Inner Circle of the Brotherhood unless it is
completely outside the Absolute Power "system", i.e. maybe a fresh start, start from scratch, rebuild the Civilization of Man from the ground up
to prevent mass extinction in the Final War and the eight Extinctions of Man. Windows 10, though, has completely disabled any ability of We The People
to access this power, or to opt to a "command prompt" at start up which is a stand alone OS. This was VERY useful in windows 95 for example and could
solve many problems!!!!!!!!!!

yep, you heard correctly, windows 95. and if Great Depression wasn't heard, get a Q-tip to clean out the ear wax. windows 95. This is very real.
these are the things that happen under these conditions.....

quote by whm1974
"Don't even bother anything older then Windows 7"
dude, Windows 7 takes up more than 24 gigs of space, hides your own files from you, arbitrarily causes innocent devices to not work, such as external
devices if it is not on the list, causes a time and headache bottleneck with constant updates, and is unweildy. not only that it lacks a couple ESSENTIAL
FEATURES that were available in previous versions, which, as time goes on into windows 10, that they keep discontinuing more and more useful and
ESSENTIAL FEATURES

do you think you could connect to the internet running 3.1? they used to do it on tiny phone cables! some said it literally took hours.

yo PliotronX

:eek:reverse engineering:eek: and :mad:USER FRIENDLY:mad: would postage stamp out the trampling herd of 300 million animals, YET they don't make even previous versions
which the same company, let alone another company, has put out, to be compatible, choosing to put out OS's as fast as possible and never looking back.
windows 7 is a good example, as noted above. refer above to where the sky is the limit on unending and ever increasing national deficit, which will lead
to the Great Depression.

VirtualLarry, hi

dude, a VM could easily work. you mean without a VM such as what I am trying to do?
by the way, what's the RAM on a LGA775 rig on Intel, or AM3?
what specificially is the reason(s) why past a (LGA775 rig on Intel, or AM3) does hardware changes cause a software problem?

hi JerYnkFan

yes, i would agree, windows 98 is way better than windows 10. i would choose windows 98 over windows 10 any day of the week!!!!!!!

howdy Iron Woode

quote by Iron Woode
"I built a windows 98SE box the other day out of old parts just for fun."

you mean you put together your own homemade build of the windows 98SE software program?
or are you talking about a toothpick art project?
or you built a computer from scratch (one compatible with windows 3.1 or 95)?

quote by Iron Woode
"it took some doing to get it to recognize my USB sticks. "
how did you do that? did you use PLOP. plop, plot, fizz, fizz, what a relief it is. plot, plot. plop, plop. 2 4 inch 100 dollar bill stacks
in every yellow envelop. but that what be pushing the envelop. they saw it relieves indigestion. an upset stomach or something, maybe from all
the pollution of mercury poisoning in the ocean and all the seafood we eat now, as the ocean is at a 2% mercury poisoning.

hi Ketchup,
glad to see you

SIDE NOTE
i tried the VM machine, was successful, at first. then, after installing several OS's, it may have caused it to become convulted.
whatever the reason, it stopped working. not looking forward to installing it all from scratch again.

GENERAL NOTE
i am not trying to install windows in a VM machine.
if i had been trying to do so, as i was initially, i was ALSO, still, unsuccessful as well.
some kind of trouble possibly syncing the floppy drive with the program or something?

hello sandorski,
hows everything?;)

quote by sandorski
"Even back in the day when Win95 was the latest, you were likely to run into errors."
what kind of errors?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
howdy Iron Woode

quote by Iron Woode
"I built a windows 98SE box the other day out of old parts just for fun."

you mean you put together your own homemade build of the windows 98SE software program?
or are you talking about a toothpick art project?
or you built a computer from scratch (one compatible with windows 3.1 or 95)?

quote by Iron Woode
"it took some doing to get it to recognize my USB sticks. "
how did you do that? did you use PLOP. plop, plot, fizz, fizz, what a relief it is. plot, plot. plop, plop. 2 4 inch 100 dollar bill stacks
in every yellow envelop. but that what be pushing the envelop. they saw it relieves indigestion. an upset stomach or something, maybe from all
the pollution of mercury poisoning in the ocean and all the seafood we eat now, as the ocean is at a 2% mercury poisoning.
I had some older computer parts (motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd, dvd and a case) and then installed win98SE.

I used a program to install USB storage drivers. Now my 16GB thumb drive works.

All I need is a better browser for surfing the internet.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
howdy whm1974, good to hear from you!

not so fond of linux. I've tried it, but not so great.

hi whm1974

REASONS:
1) the challenge. success = yea, now I'm an expert
2) program "system requirements"
3) full use all the vRAM capabilities:cool:
4) can only be run in DOS. DOS is an OS. later versions discontinued this. Also, in windows 10, in dos prompt, even simple program commands
such as "sfc /scannow" can not utilize the sfc utility from "inside" the pentegram of the pentagon in the Inner Circle of the Brotherhood unless it is
completely outside the Absolute Power "system", i.e. maybe a fresh start, start from scratch, rebuild the Civilization of Man from the ground up
to prevent mass extinction in the Final War and the eight Extinctions of Man. Windows 10, though, has completely disabled any ability of We The People
to access this power, or to opt to a "command prompt" at start up which is a stand alone OS. This was VERY useful in windows 95 for example and could
solve many problems!!!!!!!!!!

yep, you heard correctly, windows 95. and if Great Depression wasn't heard, get a Q-tip to clean out the ear wax. windows 95. This is very real.
these are the things that happen under these conditions.....

quote by whm1974
"Don't even bother anything older then Windows 7"
dude, Windows 7 takes up more than 24 gigs of space, hides your own files from you, arbitrarily causes innocent devices to not work, such as external
devices if it is not on the list, causes a time and headache bottleneck with constant updates, and is unweildy. not only that it lacks a couple ESSENTIAL
FEATURES that were available in previous versions, which, as time goes on into windows 10, that they keep discontinuing more and more useful and
ESSENTIAL FEATURES

do you think you could connect to the internet running 3.1? they used to do it on tiny phone cables! some said it literally took hours.

:eek:reverse engineering:eek: and :mad:USER FRIENDLY:mad: would postage stamp out the trampling herd of 300 million animals, YET they don't make even previous versions
which the same company, let alone another company, has put out, to be compatible, choosing to put out OS's as fast as possible and never looking back.
windows 7 is a good example, as noted above. refer above to where the sky is the limit on unending and ever increasing national deficit, which will lead
to the Great Depression.
Dude you not making much sense. And why bother with such old programs and Operating Systems? And as far as disk space goes, it's cheap! HDDs have been at the 1TB size and larger for years now.

And Linux? It has gotten so much easier now that it even easier then Windows 10!