Trying to Install win7 on a laptop

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
Wonder if anyone can help me

Buddy brings his Asus X553M laptop over and asks me to fix it for him. Sure I say leave it there and I'll have a look
So I turned it on and it is actually riddled with virus's / malware and Macafee wants me to buy it. No danger am I trying to remove that crap

I called him and said that I can put windows 7 on it instead , fine. So a wee bit messing about in the bios(you have to set the OS to win7) I set it to boot from DVD , put the windows disc in and reboot

It starts as normal loading windows installation files , then it hangs at the windows logo

Tried it 3 times and it keeps hanging ? I've installed windows on dozens of PC's never seen this before

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Probably need to change it out of Secure Boot UEFI mode in the BIOS.

Not sure what Asus does for restore but you should try that option. Probably an option at boot to restore from a partition on the HDD, or use the built in Windows 8.1 restore functionality.

To reset your PC

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
I was kind of wanting to nuke windows 8 and put 7 on it instead

Secure boot UEFI hmm never noticed that in the BIOS - that were hardly any options. I'll have another look

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Why would you try to downgrade the OS? If your friend really doesn't like the UI, just install Start8 + ModernMix and it will fix most of the UI issues with windows 8.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Why would you try to downgrade the OS? If your friend really doesn't like the UI, just install Start8 + ModernMix and it will fix most of the UI issues with windows 8.

This. Not sure how you went from virus-ridden Windows 8 (where you could easily do a re-install of 8 if you didn't want to mess with the viruses) to a downgrade where you may end-up having to really hunt for drivers, if you get that far.

If the recovery partition is still in place, restore the laptop to factory settings and, if you friend wants, get a start menu as mentioned above.

In addition to not hurting the warranty of the laptop, your fried may get the free upgrade to 10 that has been rumored.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
This. Not sure how you went from virus-ridden Windows 8 (where you could easily do a re-install of 8 if you didn't want to mess with the viruses) to a downgrade where you may end-up having to really hunt for drivers, if you get that far.

If the recovery partition is still in place, restore the laptop to factory settings and, if you friend wants, get a start menu as mentioned above.

In addition to not hurting the warranty of the laptop, your fried may get the free upgrade to 10 that has been rumored.

This. And whatever you do, do not blow away the recovery partition.