Trying to install NVIDIA gtx 1080ti in dell precision t3610

Rajnish Kumar

Jun 8, 2018
I am trying to upgrade my dell precision t3610 with an NVIDIA gtx 1080ti. I got a power supply of 685 watts from dell, but the problem is the proprietary power supply (it is a hot swap that feeds power to a little board which has two 8 pin female connectors and one 24 pin female connectors) doesn’t have enough connectors. NVIDIA gtx 1080ti needs one 8 pin connector and one 6 pin connector. The 24 pin connector and one 8 pin connectors are connected to the motherboard and the other 8 pin connector is free. I could connect this available 8 pin connector to the graphics card but I still have to connect the remaining 6 pin connector on the card. Do you know if there is any work around this ? I also bought a 650 W power supply from corsair but Dell makes it really hard to replace their proprietary power supply with something else.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I think your best bet is to return the 1080 Ti and either buy a 1070 Ti/1080 or wait for the 1170/1180.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I was wondering what part if any was really tough to swap in a Dell desktop. Looks like the psu is one of them. At least on that model.

Rajnish Kumar

Jun 8, 2018
You can get a proprietary PSU of higher wattage and just pull the previous one out and slide the new one in. But the power supply unit supplies power to a little board which has just one 8 pin connector available to send power to GPU. The way wiring is done that everything goes from under the motherboard and you can't see anything. If I get the dell power supply out and try to use one from corsair, I still won't be able to supply power to various other connectors because of different types of connectors. I also have a feeling that if I remove the motherboard and try to make sense of wiring, I will have more surprises waiting for me.