Trying to get specific Outlook 2013 behavior

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Alrighty, in Outlook 2013, I need to (somehow) make it so that:

a) Sent items are all put in the sent items folder, and kept. This is not default behavior, for some unknown reason. A handful of items are in there, but I personally witnessed much more mail being sent than is there. Every sent mail needs to be there. This is one is seriously important (like, "WTF are you Office devs smoking," important).

b) Deleted items are moved to another folder than the inbox, but never actually deleted (local copies would preferable). I know, but some people are set in their ways, and it worked in their decade old version. I couldn't find a rule trigger for being moved to deleted/trash, so if there if a wording for that I missed, that would work, probably ((on delete, move to custom local archive folder...which would be a better solution in the long run, anyway).

Currently, the email is IMAP, but POP is an option (if anyone knows how to do both with POP, that's what I'll do, but I can't find solid answers, at least not that resemble what I see in 2013's UI). Anybody have a clue? I may have already fixed the sent items bit--time will tell--but I'm at a loss for the deleted items. Said user's old PST has thousands of sent and deleted items, from either Office XP or 2003 (the PC itself is long gone), right up through the change day.

Last edited:

postmark

May 17, 2011
Who's the email hosted through? That will help with finding the IMAP settings. In general what you're looking for should be in the folders and general tab of the change account settings dialog.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Rackspace. Sent and trash are set to be kept for years and years (999999 days, 999999 messages :)), ATM, which is why I'm pretty sure it's something with Outlook.

postmark

May 17, 2011
You might want to look at this:
http://www.rackspace.com/apps/support/portal/5906

Also on the general tab on the settings there should be something about move deleted items to a folder. Make sure you move them to the trash folder on the IMAP server. I'm not at a PC this morning but maybe later I can get the exact settings for you.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
All that stuff is set and working (apparently) correctly, and has been (that said, that whole page could be a couple of bullet points, but I've been getting the idea they like long help pages that state nothing of substance as a way to make it look they did something :)), and deleted have been set not to be purged.

I can Google and find other users w/ sent items problems, and some things, like recreating the profile (tried that, no dice), fix it for some people, but not others, and they're all IMAP users (deleted items is another story, in part because deleted items isn't meant to be used this way, but this isn't the first person I've encountered to do it).

I may just have to try POP and see, and :rolleyes: at the supposed improved IMAP support :sneaky:.

crash331

Sep 26, 2013
Sounds like a server issue to me. Sent items are always saved on my company's exchange server.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Sounds like a server issue to me. Sent items are always saved on my company's exchange server.
Exchange users are all fine, TMK, but there aren't many of those :).

It's a busy season, right now (for me, as well, as some stuff broke, and there is a constant influx of PCs, to rid ourselves of XP before April), so I haven't gotten an opportunity, but I bet POP, set to leave non-deleted always on the server, will do the job fine (even though IMAP has been working fine for everybody else).

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
You might want to ask your provider if they offer compliance archiving. This may accomplish what you need at the server level, instead of trying to do it with the client settings.