trying to get sound working on a laptop in RedHat 7.2 - please help.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Ok, I've got redhat 7.2 running on my IBM 600E laptop (rh7.2 uses the 2.4 kernel)

I'm trying to get the sound (Crystal Audio 4232) to work, but, all all the docs I can find are eitther for old 2.0/2.2 kernels, or they're like 40 pages of discussion with no actual examples of what to do, or they're jsut 1 line to enter at the console with no explanation, that doesn't work.

I'm not a linux expert (I've never compiled the kernel before) but I have used it quite a bit. (used it a lot, done very little hardware configuration). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a few more things to ask, but I'll wait on those till the sound is working.

stirling

Oct 29, 2001
There's probably an easier way to do this, but poke around in the modules directory (/lib/modules/2.4.x) to see if the driver's available.
It'll take some guesswork to figure out which module to load, but if you have the kernel docs handy you could look there first.
If you find it, you can do a 'modprobe module_name'.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

<< There's probably an easier way to do this, but poke around in the modules directory (/lib/modules/2.4.x) to see if the driver's available.
It'll take some guesswork to figure out which module to load, but if you have the kernel docs handy you could look there first.
If you find it, you can do a 'modprobe module_name'.
>>

I've tried that, but I don't seem to have the required module, and I have no idea where to find it on the www.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Ok, got, compiled and installed the alsa drivers. doing modprobe snd-card-cs4232 gives me a "no such device" error.

What am I doing wrong???

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001

<< Did you create your sound device in /dev and edit /etc/modules.conf? >>

How do I create the sound device? and I edited modules.conf by coying and pasting from a howto.