Trying to get new build up and running

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
Well I finally got my rig built.

I flashed my bios to p05 and set loaded defaults. The only change I made was to set my dvd as the first boot device and to set my memory timings to 5-5-5-12 (auto set them to 5-5-5-18).

I did a single pass of memtest86+ just to make sure my ram was good.

Went to install Vista 64. The install went fine but then trying to get Vista to start just results in a flash of blue screen and then a reboot.

Here is my hardware:
2 - EVGA 880GTS 512mb
E8400
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 780i motherboard
2 - 150gig Raptors
Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 996593

My temps seem fine, at least as reported by the bios since I cant get windows up and running. They are cpu - 38, board - 34, mcp - 46.

My voltages are all auto but are:
Core 1.18v
FSB 1.1v
Memory 1.85v

Any tips would be appreciated.

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
I just tried setting my mem voltage up to 2.0 but still blue screening at launch.

Edit: Also just bumped up my core voltage to 1.25 and the same result.

I dont know if this is an issue with the mix of hardware I am using, hardware that doesnt like vista 64, bios settings for my hardware, whatever. Just trying to look for some solutions or at least narrow down the field of possibilities.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Set everything to auto, including timings, just to see if it will boot.

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: boomhower
Set everything to auto, including timings, just to see if it will boot.

I set all settings to auto and rebooted, still blue screen.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I would set the memory speed manually to 400 (net 800 fsb), and leave all the other settings on auto. Some memory won't run at full speed on certain boards. You can also try removing the sound card. I've had more conflicts with sound cards than any other devices.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I'd stay out of your bios, or put your ram back to stock timings, and reinstall your OS>

sounds like you borked something in the vista installation.

I know it's tempting, but try to Overclock it after you have an OS ;)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: jaredpace
I'd stay out of your bios, or put your ram back to stock timings, and reinstall your OS>

sounds like you borked something in the vista installation.

I know it's tempting, but try to Overclock it after you have an OS ;)

He is running stock, almost his first sentence was
The only change I made was to set my dvd as the first boot device and to set my memory timings to 5-5-5-12 (auto set them to 5-5-5-18).

OP, I do think its memory related. Use 2.1 vdimm, 5-5-5-18 manually set, and one stick of memory only, and then re-install vista. See what happens and take it from there.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Markfw900

He is running stock, almost his first sentence was
The only change I made was to set my dvd as the first boot device and to set my memory timings to 5-5-5-12 (auto set them to 5-5-5-18).

He's saying that he tightened his memory timings, and then installed Vista 64bit. I only suggested that he leave it stock for the meantime, and overclock it later after the OS was installed.

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
The timings on the ram at default should be 5-5-5-12, I dont know why the auto setting puts them at 5-5-5-18.

I reset the defaults and bumped up the voltage to 2.1, still blue screens.

I then:
Set SLI-Ready memory to expert
Set FSB to linked/sync
Manually set the FSB to 1333 which naturally brought the memory speed down to 666

Result: Still blue screen

jaredpace:
By borking something in the installation, you mean by having the timings not at stock? Bcause there isnt a whole lot to the vista install hehe :)

o1die:
I didnt set my fsb down to 800 since that would bring my cpu speed down to like 1.8ghz right?

I'm going to try pulling a stick of ram next....

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
I should also note that I have the ram placed in slots 2 and 3, I dont know if that makes a difference or not or if I should have them in 0 and 1

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
Ok now we are making progress :)

Set vDimm to 2.1, manually set timings to 5-5-5-18 2T
Pulled the second stick of RAM and reseated the first stick into slot 0 and no blue screen and the installation is continuing.

Now...how to get the second stick working...

I'm going to try putting the second stick into slot 1 after the install completes. Maybe it didnt like being in 2 and 3...

jellyrole

May 10, 2008
techarkade.com
You should have it in 0 and 2

>--------------------------
----------------------------
>----------------------------
-----------------------------

The > is where your memory should be.

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
The motherboard manual said:
"Two DIMMs: Install into either slots 0 and 1 or 2 and 3. The idea is to not have the DIMMs in adjacent slots."

I went with 2 and 3 since they were farthest fro the cpu to give them a little more breathing room.

EDIT:
Originally posted by: jellyrole
You should have it in 0 and 2

>--------------------------
----------------------------
>----------------------------
-----------------------------

The > is where your memory should be.

My mother board slots are:
Slot 0 >--------------------------
Slot 2 ----------------------------
Slot 1 >----------------------------
Slot 3 -----------------------------

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
Inserted the second stick into slot 1 and am getting blue screens now. At least the problem is somewhat narrowed down now.

Medwynd

Dec 26, 2007
memtest86+ passed one pass. I'm installing sp1 for vista now with 1 stick in and then after its done ill put in the second stick and see if I can get it to boot.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
yah bad 2nd stick. just saw that mushkin 593's are "redline" with 5 5 5 12 latencies.

I thought you were Ocing them, wonder why the mobo recognized them as 5 5 5 18.

ShadowFlareX

May 6, 2008
This was just the 4GB memory issue before applying the fix/patch, nothing to do with voltage, timings, or bad stick. It was pretty obvious from your first post from the PC specs, plus personal experience of this BSOD after Vista install with 4GB of memory :eek: Unless you're installing a Vista slipstreamed with SP1, just use 2GB memory until you get SP1 installed.

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: ShadowFlareX
This was just the 4GB memory issue before applying the fix/patch, nothing to do with voltage, timings, or bad stick. It was pretty obvious from your first post from the PC specs, plus personal experience of this BSOD after Vista install with 4GB of memory :eek: Unless you're installing a Vista slipstreamed with SP1, just use 2GB memory until you get SP1 installed.

That's a good thing to know...... Where were you this morning?