Trying to get into the IT industry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
im probably the only one in this thread who even lives in PA, besides you.
check out the civil serivce like i posted earlier.
well except for y2kc

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: CVSiN
Originally posted by: rxtrom
I just need some quick advie on how to get into the IT industry. I am an accountant for a public firm. I decided that money is not everythig and want to do something I love to do. I figured I would start with my hobbies and see if it is possible to get a job doing one of them. I have a accounting degree, but nothing computer related. I am a big time hardware modder and know alot about O/S apps and databases such as access and sql, networking is nothing new to me either. My question is how does someone get into the IT field w/o a degee, who will give me a chance to prove myself? What do companies look for?

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

BTW I live inbetween allentown and Philly, PA
Just in case someone knows of an opportunity.

Unless you like answering helpdesk calls at 15 dollars an hour.. run far away...
you have an accounting degree go make some real money.

if you're lucky
most i've seen lately have been offering about $10-12

And then they complain about a "shortage of IT people".

filetitan

Jul 9, 2005
I am a IT Admin working for the airport and it is a truly great field, at least thats what i think hope that helps

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: PHiuR
Originally posted by: dquan97
I was also thinking about making the transition...currently working fulltime in accounting (making decent $) and part-time as IT director for my church. I figured that since I enjoy the IT side so much more, I should do it fulltime.

IT director for a church? What did you do, hook 2 computers up to the internet?

There are currently 5 desktops, 1 laptop, 1 server running Exchange and 2003 Server. In the next two months, we're upgrading to fiber and adding a couple desktops.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Wow, everyone is bitter about IT now-a-days. Can't find a job, don't get paid enough. I guess it goes to prove it's not what you know it's who you know. ;)

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I was also thinking about making the transition...currently working fulltime in accounting (making decent $) and part-time as IT director for my church. I figured that since I enjoy the IT side so much more, I should do it fulltime.

There are currently 5 desktops, 1 laptop, 1 server running Exchange and 2003 Server. In the next two months, we're upgrading to fiber and adding a couple desktops.

And how does that require an IT director again?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: y2kc
far be it from me to try to discourage anyone from chasing their dreams but... keep computing a hobby, trust me on this.

I agree, the only time i touch my PC at home anymore is when i am on call and have to get up at 3am because a stupid sql job failed or one of the crappy programs our developers wrote is hung on a record...

keep your hobby your hobby do not turn it into your job. The luster and excitement will wear off fast and you will hate your job and your hobby.

QFT! I was JUST explaining this to one of my friends the other day. He asked me why I don't really game or work on my rig any more. I sit in front of the computer all day every day, the last thing that I want to do when I get off work is come home and get back on the computer and not get paid.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Wow, everyone is bitter about IT now-a-days. Can't find a job, don't get paid enough. I guess it goes to prove it's not what you know it's who you know. ;)

Nah, it really isn't any of those things. I work for myself and I STILL hate my boss! :p The pay is fine (it's actually better than fine) but it starts feeling like you're selling your soul for a few extra bucks.

Example: I'm at a client site pretty much every day now for the next 12 months, providing them with an entire IT department (literally, their company is 100% sales, they contracted us to do web design, in house support, server administration and telephony) it's a huge contract for us, and I had to expand my staff to meet their needs, but at least once an hour someone will come into my office and ask me to come take a look at their computer (mind you I'm in the middle of scripting a backup solution for their servers which host the web site that makes 5 times more money than the entire sales team combined) I get to their computer and the person asks me something like "I can't print this document" to which I reply "What happens when you hit print?" "Uh how do I do that?". I mean really they should be going to my support guys (I staff 2 full time at their location) and I've repeatedly told them this, but in the end, it's my company and my reputation, so I keep dropping whatever I'm doing to help some moron with a problem that a chimpanzee could solve.

/edit OP, to answer your original question: Really, you're going to have to start entry level. What I would do if I were in your position is see if you can cut back your hours some during your non busy season and take some cert classes, once you've gotten a few certs (based on your interest) find something entry level, maybe tech support but make sure it's at a fairly large company. If you start entry level at a small company you're likely to stay there (most small companies don't have multiple tiers of tech support) From support you can decide what interests you (if anything) and proceed from there with certification. Many jobs will allow you to work in several different directions (you might have a tier 2 or 3 support job that lets you handle some domain administration tasks which you could use as a stepping stone into net or system administration)

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: tfinch2

And how does that require an IT director again?

After a brief survey, IT Director sounds 10x better than IT Monkey. I'm also the network admin and media guy (we use projectors during service).

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: CVSiN
I just need some quick advie on how to get into the IT industry. I am an accountant for a public firm. I decided that money is not everythig and want to do something I love to do. I figured I would start with my hobbies and see if it is possible to get a job doing one of them. I have a accounting degree, but nothing computer related. I am a big time hardware modder and know alot about O/S apps and databases such as access and sql, networking is nothing new to me either. My question is how does someone get into the IT field w/o a degee, who will give me a chance to prove myself? What do companies look for?

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

BTW I live inbetween allentown and Philly, PA
Just in case someone knows of an opportunity.

Unless you like answering helpdesk calls at 15 dollars an hour.. run far away...
you have an accounting degree go make some real money.

if you're lucky
most i've seen lately have been offering about $10-12

And then they complain about a "shortage of IT people".

haha when we signed with our newest client, the HR manager was relating that they'd been looking for IT staff for the past 6 months and they didn't get a single response for the job (which is why they hired us) the problem? Their description was something like "We need a tech to support in house users (213 mind you) maintain our web site and servers, and create custom applications based on our specifications" Apparently they think that you can just hire any "IT guy" off the street and he'll not only be proficient in end-user support, but also network administration, and web and application development as well. That's probably the cause of some of the problems we've had with them as well, they think that any one of my guys can do all of the jobs of the contract and get upset when they find this not to be the case.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Hmmm...Accounting...

Look into getting some skills (training) for "Cognos"

With your background and this training you could find a nice job that will pull you through IT and still not starve you. Once you get into the IT system, then you can grow the rest of your IT skills. Basically, you need to be really really good at one thing in IT to get into the business that is not at the support/helpdesk level - which is hell for many people.

InlineFour

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
after reading all the negative replies about IT, i'm starting to become a little nervous about my future. :(

i want to be involved in networking after graduating college, but now i'm not so sure if that's a good choice. perhaps i should change field while i'm still young?

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Thanks for all the input, although not what I was expecting.
Anyone have any good experiences in the IT field?

The thing is if you are good at any job there will always be work for you...regardless of the field.

I had a hard time when I graduated from school with a MIS degree getting a job that I liked. I basically took a job that gave me IT experience and then tried to get my hands into as much as possible.

Two years later I accepted a job just today for a DBA position...something that I am not totally qualified for but can certainly learn the trade and couldn't be more excited.

Along the way though i had really doubted my decisions with getting into IT...moral of the story in my opinion is if you want it bad enough stick it out and you will be rewarded...but don't expect stuff to drop in your lap...you have to put in the effort too

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: leeland
Thanks for all the input, although not what I was expecting.
Anyone have any good experiences in the IT field?

The thing is if you are good at any job there will always be work for you...regardless of the field.

I had a hard time when I graduated from school with a MIS degree getting a job that I liked. I basically took a job that gave me IT experience and then tried to get my hands into as much as possible.

Two years later I accepted a job just today for a DBA position...something that I am not totally qualified for but can certainly learn the trade and couldn't be more excited.

Along the way though i had really doubted my decisions with getting into IT...moral of the story in my opinion is if you want it bad enough stick it out and you will be rewarded...but don't expect stuff to drop in your lap...you have to put in the effort too

:thumbsup:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: DaiShan
haha when we signed with our newest client, the HR manager was relating that they'd been looking for IT staff for the past 6 months and they didn't get a single response for the job (which is why they hired us) the problem? Their description was something like "We need a tech to support in house users (213 mind you) maintain our web site and servers, and create custom applications based on our specifications" Apparently they think that you can just hire any "IT guy" off the street and he'll not only be proficient in end-user support, but also network administration, and web and application development as well. That's probably the cause of some of the problems we've had with them as well, they think that any one of my guys can do all of the jobs of the contract and get upset when they find this not to be the case.

I read an article I found on Digg yesterday that suggested exactly that. HR managers keep looking for this perfect fit IT person that is proficient in all their systems. And they're unwilling to train candidates that have some or even most of the qualifications. And of course, I see a lot of companies offering pay that I could probably get at best buy. (not all of them, but I do see small companies all the time that offer some pretty weak wages) So we have HR complaining about a big IT shortage because the industry isn't churning out custom made candidates for their specific setup in large numbers.

The thing is though, in order for IT people to have mobility to get into these companies they have to know a lot of different subjects. And lets face it, any candidates that have all the experience they want probably have a lot of other experience and get the "overqualified" stamp.

I think business still just doesn't understand what IT is. Which is understandable, its a new industry in the grand scheme of things.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Don't let these fools shake your conviction to go into IT... it takes work like any other field... most of these people complaining are still in the part of their career when they're still paying their dues. In a few short years the story changes completely.

I've been in the field in some manner or another for 8-10 years... I make six figure income, with aggressive bonuses, stock options, benefits... the works... my job is awesome... I love the work, I love the people I work with. I make my own hours... life is great.

My fiancee is a physician... and she says all the time how she wishes she had my job.

IT is a great rewarding career track... you just have to put the work in and pay your dues first.

-Max

VoteQuimby

Jan 27, 2005
Wow I'm a little nervous now about my future in the IT field. I hope I don?t end up hating my job in the next 5 years. I lucked out and got an awesome job as an Oil & Gas companies IT admin. Before that I was working in a grocery store and going to college.

I'm currently 22 and still have another year before I get my bachelors in CIS. I've been with this company now for two years and in that time the company went from a 15 person operation to 55. We moved into a new building 6 months ago and are looking to move again because of our growth. The money is ok but when I get my bachelors I'm looking for a handsome raise.

I'd have to agree that certs don?t really mean anything unless your going for an entry level position. You need to start low and gain experience to get people?s attention.

BTW - what is a good way to check and see what kind of money people make in IT?

Edit-Doboji I hope you're right :)

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
I graduated two years ago with a B.S. in computer science and the last two years have been a nightmare for me. I've had 4 jobs (first out of college was fixing computers in a retail store, second was managing edi which wasn't too computer related, third was tech support in a call center, fourth was a high volume (stressful) helpdesk job that i'm still doing. I was offered a government job as a programmer though and start a week from monday (this is my dream job).

My point? You might get lucky and land a great job out of college if you have connections or get lucky or had a 4.0 in college. Otherwise you'll end up getting a job you likely don't like. Just keep looking.

JOHNGALT99

Mar 26, 2001
I suggest a career in information security or computer forensics.

Get a degree in computer science with a concentration in information security.

For now start learning c++. python, and perl. Pick up a learning TCP/IP book it should be your bible.

Also start capturing packets with ethereal and practice understanding them and parsing them.

During college get a government internship that gets you a clearence. Then when you graduate work for the gov and you can do some really cool things.

In my opinion computer forensics and information security are the most interesting fields in what your calling IT.

A good place to start out learning about computer forensics is

http://www.forensicswiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://www.linux-forensics.com/links.html

On information security I would read this these articles

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1779

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1861

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: VoteQuimby
Wow I'm a little nervous now about my future in the IT field. I hope I don?t end up hating my job in the next 5 years. I lucked out and got an awesome job as an Oil & Gas companies IT admin. Before that I was working in a grocery store and going to college.

I'm currently 22 and still have another year before I get my bachelors in CIS. I've been with this company now for two years and in that time the company went from a 15 person operation to 55. We moved into a new building 6 months ago and are looking to move again because of our growth. The money is ok but when I get my bachelors I'm looking for a handsome raise.

I'd have to agree that certs don?t really mean anything unless your going for an entry level position. You need to start low and gain experience to get people?s attention.

BTW - what is a good way to check and see what kind of money people make in IT?

Edit-Doboji I hope you're right :)

I think everyone in every career thinks that they can just grab a great job right out of college, make great income, and be happy. Real life doesnt work that way.... even the elite jobs... Doctors, and Lawyers require paying dues before you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

The smartest thing you can do is work in your field WHILE you are in college... so that when you get out you have some experience under your belt.

Otherwise I don't care what field you're in... you WILL have to survive crappy jobs for a few years while you build experience.

-Max

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Doboji
Don't let these fools shake your conviction to go into IT... it takes work like any other field... most of these people complaining are still in the part of their career when they're still paying their dues. In a few short years the story changes completely.

I've been in the field in some manner or another for 8-10 years... I make six figure income, with aggressive bonuses, stock options, benefits... the works... my job is awesome... I love the work, I love the people I work with. I make my own hours... life is great.

My fiancee is a physician... and she says all the time how she wishes she had my job.

IT is a great rewarding career track... you just have to put the work in and pay your dues first.

-Max

lol, First of all. I'm not foolish enough to call people I don't know "fools". You sound like a commercial for Computer Learning Center..

The fact of the matter is IT is a business expense. god forbid your company decides it's time to trim the fat... my company just canned 20 people at your level last week. IT budgets are easy to trim. And in 8 - 10 years (the length of time and experience the OP will need according to you before it becomes rewarding) do you honestly think larger companies are going to be doing their own IT work? outsourcing\automation is real and it's happening at ALL levels of IT.

The OP has a degree in accounting. If he feels he made a mistake in his choice of career, fine, I can't argue with that but considering the way things are going right now in IT... his best bet is to not blindly pursue his passion.

As I said in my first post, far be it from me to discourage him from chasing his dream but he should consider all opinions and experiences before making his choice. The OP is an accountant, I suggest he do the math. So far it's 20/1 telling you to think long and hard before going into IT.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: y2kc
Originally posted by: Doboji

-Max

lol, First of all. I'm not foolish enough to call people I don't know "fools". You sound like a commercial for Computer Learning Center..

The fact of the matter is IT is a business expense. god forbid your company decides it's time to trim the fat... my company just canned 20 people at your level last week. IT budgets are easy to trim. And in 8 - 10 years (the length of time and experience the OP will need according to you before it becomes rewarding) do you honestly think larger companies are going to be doing their own IT work? outsourcing\automation is real and it's happening at ALL levels of IT.

The OP has a degree in accounting. If he feels he made a mistake in his choice of career, fine, I can't argue with that but considering the way things are going right now in IT... his best bet is to not blindly pursue his passion.

As I said in my first post, far be it from me to discourage him from chasing his dream but he should consider all opinions and experiences before making his choice. The OP is an accountant, I suggest he do the math. So far it's 20/1 telling you to think long and hard before going into IT.

Is everything on ATOT always an argument between people who know nothng about each other?

1) My term fools was more of an endearing term... I realize it didnt come off that way... but thats how it was meant. I apologize if I offended anyone.

2) You don't know what my level is... you don't know what my experience is... you don't even know what I do.

Allow me to enlighten you.

I work for a company that provides IT solutions... that IS OUR BUSINESS... so my job is not an expense.. it IS the business. I provide my company's services and products to various organizations in the Washington DC area. If my company were to cut me... that would be a clear sign that the company itself was in deep trouble... and that the demand for our product and services was in serious trouble.

This is really no different than an accounting firm who provides accounting services to customers... the only reason they would start cutting accountants would be if they were having trouble as a company.

So the assertion that IT is somehow inherently more instable than the accounting field is utter nonsense...

It seems to me you have very little understanding if the IT field as a whole. If you see being a helpdesk support provider as being the end all and be all of the IT field... then yes... you shouldn't even consider IT. But if you see IT for what it is... dealing with emerging technologies... providing project level services to organizations looking to use these new technologies.. then you would see that the IT field is quite a good career... and is not coming to a close anytime soon.

-Max