Trying to GAIN weight? This is my success story

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
thanks for the tips special K... i dont know the form for deadlifts, but next time I see a trainer, I will learn it.

In terms of food, most of the things I eat are because they are fast and easy to prepare. Normally, the only meal I actually have time to prepare is dinner. I guess tuna would be a pretty easy snack though.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
You a shill?

144 at 5'11" is still really skinny, congrats on putting on some weight though I guess.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by: RBachman
You a shill?

144 at 5'11" is still really skinny, congrats on putting on some weight though I guess.

I was 144 a month ago.. I am now around 160lbs, and my goal for the end of the summer is 170-175

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
4500kcal is like 2x your BMR... and it shows in the fact that you put on 15lbs in one month. It's good that you're gaining, but there's a lot of non-lean mass in that (unless you're on the juice). A healthier goal would be 5lbs a month. Cut out the crap food like hotdogs and crackers... actually, most of Special K's suggestions are great. Also I'm a big advocate of only using protein shakes immediately post-workout. Any other time you should be able to fix yourself some real food.

And to add to what Special K said about your leg day... don't just drop Leg Ext because it's a machine lift... drop it because they fvcking kill your knees. Even partial rep leg ext work is bad. Replace with more squat/press work or deadlifts if you really need more quad work.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
4500kcal is like 2x your BMR... and it shows in the fact that you put on 15lbs in one month. It's good that you're gaining, but there's a lot of non-lean mass in that (unless you're on the juice). A healthier goal would be 5lbs a month. Cut out the crap food like hotdogs and crackers... actually, most of Special K's suggestions are great. Also I'm a big advocate of only using protein shakes immediately post-workout. Any other time you should be able to fix yourself some real food.

And to add to what Special K said about your leg day... don't just drop Leg Ext because it's a machine lift... drop it because they fvcking kill your knees. Even partial rep leg ext work is bad. Replace with more squat/press work or deadlifts if you really need more quad work.

How are leg extensions any worse than deadlifts or squats on your knees? I usually do leg extensions and leg presses.

Serious question.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k

How are leg extensions any worse than deadlifts or squats on your knees? I usually do leg extensions and leg presses.

Serious question.

I would guess it has something to do with the way weight is transferred. In squats and deadlifts, it is mostly vertically displaced, whereas in extensions, you are putting most of the weight perpendicular to your leg... not really sure though.