Trying to GAIN weight? This is my success story

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Looking to gain weight?

I?ll first explain my story, and wrap up with a how-to to help anyone do it faster than I did by avoiding some of the mistakes I made.

First, I?ll start with my story. I am 22 years old, and just graduated college a few weeks ago. I am 5?11? tall, and about 11 months ago, I weighed about 120lbs. I decided that I wanted to gain weight, but really didn?t have any education on how to do so. When I first started, I didn?t change my diet at all. I just started by going to the gym and lifting weights. My diet probably consisted of 60g protein a day and about 2000 calories.

My routine consisted of an entire body workout using nautilus machines. I would do 2 sets of each exercise, and probably 2 exercises for each muscle group. I would workout 3 times a week. After 3 months of lifting this way, I increased marginally in strength, but only gained about 5lbs. (My bench press went from about 80lbs to 110lbs on the Nautalus) This routine is the first mistake I made. If you want to see more rapid weight gains, you HAVE to use free-weights (dumbbells, barbells, etc..).

When the fall semester started, I started using free weights, and changed to a workout separated into muscle groups. For example, Mondays I do chest/triceps, Wednesday I do Back/Biceps, Friday I do shoulders and legs. Keep in mind, at this point, my diet is still nothing special.

When I started lifting with free weights, it was embarrassing. My bench press was 50lbs (25lb dumbbell in each hand). This is because after 3 months of lifting, I NEVER worked my stabilizer muscles. By December, I had worked my way up to 55lb dumbbells in each hand, and had increased to about 135lbs in weight.

After Christmas, I decided I needed to change my diet. I started forcing myself to eat more, and I ordered some whey protein. After this change, I consumed about 100g protein a day, and around 2700 calories. Combining this with my same free-weight lifting, I was able to reach 144lbs

This is when I discovered something amazing. It?s called BSN True Mass Protein Powder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calories 626
Calories from Fat 140
Total Fat 15.5g 24%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 110mg 37%
Sodium 260mg 11%
Potassium 410mg 12%
Total Carbohydrates 75g 25%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Sugars 13.5g
Protein 46g
Vitamin A 5000iu 100%
Vitamin C 60mg 100%
Calcium 250mg 25%
Iron 18mg 100%
Vitamin D 400iu 100%
Vitamin E 30iu 100%
Thiamine 1.5mg 100%
Riboflavin 1.7mg 100%
Niacin 20mg 100%
Vitamin B6 2mg 100mg
Folic Acid 400mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 6mcg 100%
Biotin 300mcg 100%
Panothenic Acid 10mg 100%
Iodine 150mcg 18%
Zinc 15mg 100%
Copper 2mg 100%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The stuff is simply amazing. Unlike most protein powders, this stuff is loaded with carbs, and actually has a lot of calories in it.

In the last month using this, I have gained nearly 15lbs. I now have reached my one year goal of over 160lbs.

I will now describe my current diet and routine to give anyone who wants to know how I have gained weight:

Diet:

1) As soon as I wake up, I walk to the kitchen and have True Mass protein shake.
2) I go and shower or whatever, and then make breakfast, usually consisting of 2 eggs, some bacon, a wheat bagel, and a banana.
3) Lunch meat sandwich and potato chips for lunch
4) 2 or 3 hotdogs as a snack before going to the gym
5) True Mass protein shake immediately after the gym
6) Dinner, usually consisting of a chicken breast, some frozen veggies, and a potato
7) Evening snack, usually consisting of cheese and crackers
8) True Mass protein shake immediately before bed

Adding all this up, I get about 4500 calories, 200-250g protein, and >400g carbs.

This may seem like a lot, but spaced out about every 2 hours, your body will quickly get used to it. After a month of this, I am now constantly hungry.

Lifting:
1) You MUST use free weights
2) You MUST use a system that maxes you out on every set performed (pyramid, etc..)
3) You MUST do squats. Make sure you get a trainer to show you the proper form, however, as you can hurt yourself doing them wrong.

I perform 3 sets of each exercise, and I start with my heaviest weight, and lower in weight in each set, making sure to struggle on the 10th rep in each set.

Chest/Triceps
1) Flat Bench Press
a. In the last year, I have gone from 25lb dumbbells to 80lb dumbbells
2) Incline Bench Press
3) Chest Flys
4) Decline Bench Press
5) One-Arm Tricep Extensions

Back/Biceps
I use Hammer Strengh Machines to work my back, and do a few different types of rows and pulldowns. For biceps, I just to bicep curls since the back exercises work the biceps really well on their own.

Shoulder
1) Military Press
a. Have gone from 15lb dumbbells to 60lb dumbbells
2) Front Raise
3) Shoulder Shrug
4) Lateral Raise

Legs:
1) Squats
2) Leg Press
3) Leg Extension
4) Leg Curl
5) Calf Raise

To wrap up, I have presented MY routine, and what has worked for ME. I am in no way a personal trainer, so there might, and probably are better ways of doing this. Basically, the key to my weight gain was maxing out at the gym, and eating a ton. It may seem hard to eat so much, but BSN True Mass (bodybuilding.com) is simply the best way to do it.

eminemrh25

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2005
Hahaha... You gotta be kidding me.. You had to do all this to gain weight?

Here is a tip:

Do what they did in SuperSize me, and you're gonna gain weight easily...

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
lol.. i started eating a few double-quarter pounders a day for a few days and it just made me feel sick. Besides.. its alot more expensive to eat on the supersize me diet, as odd as that may seem.

edit:
I can see how it might look like spam, but it really isnt. If you look in the past, I have posted several times on the subject of gaining weight, and have tried many things. I just felt compelled to post when I finally figured it out

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: eminemrh25

Here is a tip:

muscles weigh more than fat and look better too

bignateyk, after looking at the pics you posted in your other thread you linked to, i'd stay stop.

im barely under 5'11 and currently weight around 170lbs. How the hell that is, I don't know. I am quite skinny, a lil muscle in my legs, not much upper-body muscles, and quite a bit of a stomach that sticks out. lol
first goal, before i get into ROTC this fall, is to lose some of the stomach and get my legs into better shape than they are now. upper body on off days inbetween leg strengthening days. i got a lot of work cut out, and my goal is to drop the stomach and keep a similar weight, maybe around 180. but with my chest 180 will look weird as all hell. i got a dent in my chest, some kind of defect, so i really dont see myself getting any larger in the chest than I am now, and my chest is kinda small.
edit: actually, don't stop workin out, of course not... BUT do start cutting back and start on maintenance-type workouts instead of muscle-building. if you want more muscle and more weight, then I guess don't, but for your frame, more weight might start makin you look kind of too muscular. everyone views muscles differently, but my goal is a good muscular frame but not one that is bulgin in any way possible. probably somethin around what you have built up already.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
How about some before/after pics?
The pics in the other thread are a couple months old.

Working out lightly with EAS Myoplex, I've been getting good results.

magicfame

Jun 12, 2004
hey good job man, i was on the same page as you..
i gained about 30 pounds with 3 months.. using nlarge2... does the BSN True Mass Protein Powder taste good? i've tried some really nasty ones.

Bolvangar

Golden Member
May 20, 2001
15lbs in 1 month is pretty unheard of unless your juicing....you sure its all muscle and not fat? if it is muscle....good job, cause thats pretty damn good for 1 month without using the juice....

oh and i'd like to know how it tastes as well.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Bolvangar
15lbs in 1 month is pretty unheard of unless your juicing....you sure its all muscle and not fat? if it is muscle....good job, cause thats pretty damn good for 1 month without using the juice....
there's some fat in there, nobody puts on 1 lb of muscle every second day, even if they are juicing it.

ta8689

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2006
Seriously, eat lots of food. Not crap that doesnt taste good. I mean like Burgers and brats and pizza. Then go lift. It works great.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
I bought 3 containers of the BSN, a chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Strawberry and chocolate taste fine when just mixed with water. Another thing I noticed is that when I stir it up, it actually dissolves into the water and doesnt leave alot of chunks like other protein ive had to use blenders for.

I dont notice any fat, but I had no fat to begin with, so i guess its possible that increasing my calorie count by 2000 a day would add a little fat that wouldnt really be visible.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: bignateyk
I bought 3 containers of the BSN, a chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Strawberry and chocolate taste fine when just mixed with water. Another thing I noticed is that when I stir it up, it actually dissolves into the water and doesnt leave alot of chunks like other protein ive had to use blenders for.

I dont notice any fat, but I had no fat to begin with, so i guess its possible that increasing my calorie count by 2000 a day would add a little fat that wouldnt really be visible.

So vanilla is no good? I usually mix with milk.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: eminemrh25

Here is a tip:

muscles weigh more than fat and look better too

bignateyk, after looking at the pics you posted in your other thread you linked to, i'd stay stop.

im barely under 5'11 and currently weight around 170lbs. How the hell that is, I don't know. I am quite skinny, a lil muscle in my legs, not much upper-body muscles, and quite a bit of a stomach that sticks out. lol
first goal, before i get into ROTC this fall, is to lose some of the stomach and get my legs into better shape than they are now. upper body on off days inbetween leg strengthening days. i got a lot of work cut out, and my goal is to drop the stomach and keep a similar weight, maybe around 180. but with my chest 180 will look weird as all hell. i got a dent in my chest, some kind of defect, so i really dont see myself getting any larger in the chest than I am now, and my chest is kinda small.
edit: actually, don't stop workin out, of course not... BUT do start cutting back and start on maintenance-type workouts instead of muscle-building. if you want more muscle and more weight, then I guess don't, but for your frame, more weight might start makin you look kind of too muscular. everyone views muscles differently, but my goal is a good muscular frame but not one that is bulgin in any way possible. probably somethin around what you have built up already.

I will probably go into a maintanance mode on my upper body once I hit around 170lbs. My legs are still fairly skinny though, so i'll really start to concentrate on those for the rest of the summer.

edit: I have not opened the vanilla yet, so im not sure how it tastes. Ive also only tried them with water, but I would imagine mixing with milk would only make them taste better...

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
you look healthy enough, unless you have to competitevely lift weights, go flex @ bodybuilder contests, or have to lift very heavy weights at your job I'd say your weight is good :p

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Yup BSN makes great products. I swear by CellMass, NO-Explode and sometimes Nitrix (depends if I am cutting). Albeit, they can be expensive, (Xceed with bulk CEE PW is a good alternative to the Cellmass/NO-Explode Stack).

I know a lot about supplements, and if you have any questions PM me, otherwise keep reading! :)

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Alright, I commend you on your accomplishment but your diet could use improvement:

1) As soon as I wake up, I walk to the kitchen and have True Mass protein shake.

This is ok, but see my comment at the bottom.

2) I go and shower or whatever, and then make breakfast, usually consisting of 2 eggs, some bacon, a wheat bagel, and a banana.

This is fine.

3) Lunch meat sandwich and potato chips for lunch

Potato chips? Those are absolute crap. Lunch meat isn't much better. You should switch to something like chicken breast and rice or something.

4) 2 or 3 hotdogs as a snack before going to the gym

Again, hotdogs are crap food. I'm not saying you can't gain anything from them, but honestly there are much better sources of food out there.

5) True Mass protein shake immediately after the gym

In regards to your shakes - you can make the same thing for much cheaper using your own ingrediants. Use milk, whey protein, natural PB, oilve oil, bananas, oats, etc. Any combination of those will give you the same nutrients for less.

6) Dinner, usually consisting of a chicken breast, some frozen veggies, and a potato

This is good.

7) Evening snack, usually consisting of cheese and crackers

WTF? Cheese and crackers? I can tell you right now there isn't much protein in that. Why not tuna or another protein shake?

8) True Mass protein shake immediately before bed

Good, but see my comments on making your own shakes.

Granted, you didn't weigh much to start with, so probably anything you eat will cause you to grow at first. However I think it would be in your best interest to start moving toward healthier, more high protein foods. Seriously, potato chips and cheese and crackers really have no place in a mass building diet.

I recommend you read this to get an idea for what foods to eat:

What a bodybuilder Eats

Another tip: use fitday for tracking what you eat. It makes it so easy:

Fitday

Finally, I'm not sure where you are buying your supplements but I have found these places to be the best/cheapest:

All The Whey - for whey protein
DPS Nutrition - for everything else

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: bignateyk

So vanilla is no good? I usually mix with milk.

Use Vanilla Ice.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Here's some comments on your routine:

Lifting:
1) You MUST use free weights

O RLY? I see quite a bit of machine work in your routine. Your statement is correct though, free weights are best.

2) You MUST use a system that maxes you out on every set performed (pyramid, etc..)

agreed

3) You MUST do squats. Make sure you get a trainer to show you the proper form, however, as you can hurt yourself doing them wrong.

also good

I perform 3 sets of each exercise, and I start with my heaviest weight, and lower in weight in each set, making sure to struggle on the 10th rep in each set.

I would personally keep the reps low and the weight high for every set. I'm not a fan of pyramids or high reps, although as you said there isn't 1 "right" way to train. If this rep scheme is working for you, great. Just don't ever believe the fallacy that "high reps get you cut". Your diet gets you cut.

Chest/Triceps
1) Flat Bench Press
a. In the last year, I have gone from 25lb dumbbells to 80lb dumbbells
2) Incline Bench Press
3) Chest Flys
4) Decline Bench Press
5) One-Arm Tricep Extensions

The flies and tricep extensions are isolation movements. At your size I would focus mainly on the compounds. Replace them with skull crushers.

Back/Biceps
I use Hammer Strengh Machines to work my back, and do a few different types of rows and pulldowns. For biceps, I just to bicep curls since the back exercises work the biceps really well on their own.

I am not sure why you only use machines for your back. Barbell rows and pullups are great for the back. Lat pulldowns are good too though. Agreed about the biceps getting a lot of work from back exercises. Most gym rats seem to be doing waaaay too many bicep exercies. I personally do 2 sets of barbell curls and 2 sets of DB curls after my back workout, and my biceps have been coming along fine.

Shoulder
1) Military Press
a. Have gone from 15lb dumbbells to 60lb dumbbells
2) Front Raise
3) Shoulder Shrug
4) Lateral Raise

This looks good, but I think you will find it is too much volume for such a small muscle group that gets hit a lot indirectly.

Legs:
1) Squats
2) Leg Press
3) Leg Extension
4) Leg Curl
5) Calf Raise

Alright, I would replace 3) and 4) with stiff legged deadlifts and/or barbell lunges. As you said in your first post, free weights are best.

Overall I think your choice of lifts is fine, but you have too much volume in there. You might be doing fine now because of n00b gains, but eventually I think you will have to take some of those sets out to keep making progress. Sometimes less is more with lifting.

One last note - add deadlifts to your routine! They are like squats in that they work your entire body.

Trikat

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Dang...
I would love to gain some weight, but can't force myself to hit the gym that much.