Trying to find water blocks for Nvidia 6800 PCI-e cards...

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I've been looking around trying to figure out how to piece together a water cooling kit. The only VGA water blocks that I've seen say that they're made for AGP cards. Is there some difference on the board that would not allow these to work on a PCI-e card? Who really needs this option on AGP anyway? SLI setups are new, I know; SLI are really the only systems that may necessitate use of water cooling, especially for 6800 Ultra cards. What's the deal?? :|

Aug 8, 2004

Hmmm I thought Dangerden had water blocks that will fit 6800 series cards. Do the new PCI-E cards move the mounting holes around or is there other obstructions that prevent the 6800 series water blocks from working?

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I DON'T KNOW! Arrrrgh....I wish I knew. I figured I could always ask when I call to order them, but a lot of the time the CSR's that take orders don't have a clue especially about newer products. That's why I'd like to find out before I'm on the phone with them. If anyone knows or knows where to find out, please let me know!

Aug 8, 2004

Okay from what I can tell. The below is a picture of a 6800gt agp

6800gt

The following picture is a close up of a 6800gt pci-e board. (note the HSI bridge chip under the core)

6800gt pci

From what I can tell there is no difference in the mounting holes or the memory. The only difference is the hsi bridge chip under the core. So I think it would be safe to assume that the 6800gt water blocks will fit both agp and pci-e

Also if you google sli setups there are numerous individuals displaying watercooled setups with 6800gts.

Leads me to believe that the 6800gt water blocks work on the pci-e version too.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I don't want a kit for the following reason:
I want to liquid cool pretty much everything, including the chipset. All of the kits that I've seen that I'd be interested in don't have Nvidia chipset compatible blocks. I think I can piece together a custom build that won't cost much more and I'll get nicer waterblocks (like VGA blocks that'll cool the chip AND ram).

I'm starting to think that the 6800 waterblocks will work on the PCI-e versions as long as it doesn't get too close to the golden fingers on the top edge of the cards, but I'd still like that confirmed for absoluteness. I hate RMA'ing and delays...;)

EDIT: Madmac, your first link worked but the second one is just a logo...