Trying to connect Panasonic BR player to Canton HM55 sound bar, having trouble

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Currently I have an LCD TV (LG), a Panasonic BMP-BD75 Blu-ray player, and a Canton HM55 sound bar.

If I want to play a CD, I have to have the TV on, then the audio is piped to the sound bar via an optical cable.

The BR player and sound bar both have what appear to be RCA/Phono connections so I thought I'd be able to use a strategy I'm familiar with of connecting the two up, switch the TV off and set the sound bar to AUX input. However, no sound gets through.

The BR player's manual isn't clear on whether it likes the idea of having two audio outputs connected at once.

To make things more complicated, I tried hooking up the sound bar to my phone via AUX and the same lead I use between my hi-fi and PC upstairs (photo to 3.5mm headphone jack), but still nothing from the sound bar. I then tested the same cable between my hi-fi and phone and it works fine.

It seems to me like the sound bar's AUX input is faulty; I don't get any pop out of it even if I unplug the cable before switching the sound bar off. It seems to me like I ought to be able to test the sound bar's AUX with a phone anyway.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Not familiar with the SB but wouldnt it have an input select function? Perhaps in the remote?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You need to switch input no? Also you may need to configure BRD player on sound output.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Yup, it's set to AUX (and we switch inputs all the time from TV to Bluetooth for example), still nothing.