Trying out Kaspersky Anti-Virus? Won't install. Help?

Rerednaw

Mar 10, 2003
I heard that Kaspersky went free for their basic and I was ecstatic to try out their software which had such an amazing rep.

I downloaded from their main site.

Launched the installer...and
"An error has occurred when installing the application could not write value Skin to key \SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\KSS4\environment."

*wah wah trombone*

I'm logged in as myself, the only and primary admin on my Windows 8 (yuck, but it's what was out at the time) laptop. So I don't know how to raise my admin rights any higher, than well admin.

Kaspersky is of unfortunately little help as their link takes you to a "incompatible software" article...which has nothing to do with writing registry keys.

Help please!

Thanks!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Are you running Windows 8 or 8.1? If 8, install the 8.1 upgrade, available from the Store, and then see how things go.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Cool. Is it a pro version? Their website is a little confusing, but it sounds like this free version is only compatible with the pro an enterprise versions of 8.1.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
The Kaspersky Free AV should be fine on 8.0 or 8.1 or 10 ... Did you fully remove whatever Antivirus you had before ?
Most of them offer a free removal tool to be sure all remnants are removed. And when you go to install Kaspersky, right click on the .exe file and select "run as administrator" .. That could be all that is stopping the install

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I heard that Kaspersky went free for their basic and I was ecstatic to try out their software which had such an amazing rep.
o_O
No idea why you would be ecstatic over this software, but, I think they did you a favor by it not installing.

If you still want to install this crapware, being unable to write to the registry means that the software didn't have the correct permission to do that. If you already tried what bruceb said, and ran it as an administrator, and that still fails, that is what happens when malware tries to prevent you from installing something like this.

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
Not sure why people are calling Kaspersky "Crapware" or bad in any way when it was at pretty much top of the charts for decades when it comes to protection. Try booting into safe mode and installing Kaspersky there. If that doesn't work, make sure you remove any antivirus solution you have right now, download another official copy from their website, and you should be able to confirm the installation.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I am sure you read (& posted) on the other AV thread that got closed, basically for the same reasons that were mentioned in it, is why I refer to AV software as crapware.

Reactions: lxskllr