TRy to stop me Asus PG279Q

SelenaGomez

May 30, 2016
Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy the Asus PG279Q? I play games FPS and MMORPG's. Should I buy another monitor instead? M GPU is a EVGA GTX 1070 SC

sinisterDei

Jun 18, 2001
The only reason I don't buy that monitor is because it's expensive as fuck. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best monitor on the market - it's just expensive.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If the price isn't an issue, you shouldn't buy the PG279Q because the PG348Q exists.

SelenaGomez

May 30, 2016
I have nevr had an IPS monitor is hope the glow doesnt bother me. I wont know until i try. But its an expensive trial.

The PG348Q is not my cup of tea. I dont want curved or ultra wide.

MY main concern is something newer and better will be released in a couple months time. I could definitly wait to buy somethign but if nothign is coming out then i dont want to wait.

sinisterDei

Jun 18, 2001
*Something* is always coming out. By that logic nobody buys anything. The question you should ask instead is, if it costs $X dollars, will you receive X amount of enjoyment. If the answer is yes, then go for it. If you don't think so, then you better buy something that costs less $X.

SelenaGomez

May 30, 2016
No there really hasnt been any big leap for a while now. I dont mean a new monitor. I mean some new technology or big leap in performance that is coming out in the next few months,

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
So this thread lingered in my head until I finally said "why not". I picked up a refurb'd PG279Q from Newegg (about $200 off of list).

Now, I'm not done. I didn't expect perfection. Frankly, I expected some backlight bleed, because 1) its a refurb, and 2) I have a 2007 Dell IPS that has what I'd call mild backlight bleed in one corner and moderate in another.... Sooo, expectations appropriately (?) set.

The PG297Q is a beautiful monitor. Coming from my 20.5" screen is nothing short of shocking. Great colors, the rez, and that refresh rate. All fantastic.

BUT, the backlight bleed on the bottom left is mild/moderate, and the bottom right corner is atrocious. Running a black background, the bottom right is such a bright, light grey that its almost white. It's ridiculous.

And equally concerning, the Turbo button (sets the refresh rate) is intermittently responsive - sometimes you push it and something happens; most of the time, nothing happens. I think it may be broken already. I'd almost be okay with that too, and just run the monitor in constant 144 Hz (why not?), but it also tends to reset itself when you return to desktop. I think I know how the button got broken (picturing the prior owner mashing it in frustration).

So, what to do? Will Newegg replace if they don't have any in stock currently (they were out last I checked), or just issue a refund? I accrued some serious wife agro with this purchase, so I need to be careful how I play this.

Advice, ridicule, and words of encouragement all appreciated.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Major IPS glow in the lower right is very common on those displays and the equivalent Acer models. Make sure its not IPS glow. People mistake it for backlight bleed. If it's IPS glow, it will be viewing angle dependent. Move your head to be directly in front of the lower right area, and the glow should subside. If it's backlight bleed, it will be equally visible no matter how you look at it.
I don't know what returning a refurbished model would involve. I guess they'd have to have another refurb in stock? I'm not sure. Is budget an issue? I'd suggest returning it and getting the PG348Q =)

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
My budget was about $200 less than I spent on this monitor (I was looking in the $300-$400 range). When I saw it was $200 cheaper on refurb, I reached for it, because I never thought I'd have a monitor that nice. Also, the 348Q is amazing, but I couldn't push 30 fps on that thing in BF1 with my rig. Seriously. I might only get 20. Maybe less. I'm all for buying long term, since I buy and hold, but I don't wanna suffer in the short term with my current rig, or dump a 1060 I just bought a few months ago. IMO monitors have outpaced other hardware. The rig you need to push those $1200 monitors is ridiculous. I'm thinking top specs across the board plus 1080 SLI, at minimum. {edit - nevermind, I thought that was the new 4k model, its just UWQHD - but still!)

Maybe I didn't understand IPS glow was. What I can tell you is that during boot up, the monitor shows no signal during POST (which is weird after seeing POST for so many years - I was DVI connected before, now display port, of course), it glows an intensely bright, very light grey. I'll be honest and say I don't like that at all.

Next I tested the backlight bleed with the first google hit I got: http://lightbleedtest.com/ It's basically just a black background, but just for arguments sake.... I'm getting a little bit of bleed in the bottom corners. Top corners are fine. Its noticeably worse than the one LinusTech tested (I saw his review). It's not horrible... I could probably live with it.

The refresh rate dropping to 60 at desktop and the unresponsive turbo button may be the undoing. I only have 30 days to figure this out, but it doesn't look promising.

Thanks for the advice BTW. I'm stupidly agonizing over this - I am thinking they are gonna say, "yeah sorry" and just refund me. And then my PG279Q dream will die. :sniffle:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
What is the Turbo button supposed to do? If it is not working as it should I would return it for a replacement or a refund. It is too much $$$ to spend on an imperfect product.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Get the PG278Q if you play a lot of FPS games. The 278Q, being TN has a better response time than the 279Q which is IPS. The 278Q is 3D ready as well, if you're into that sorta thing.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
So, a bit of an update... The driver was somehow resetting the default res to 60 Hz. Uninstall/Reinstall fixed. Now I run the panel at 144 Hz all the time (native). The turbo button switches the refresh rate from 60 to 120 to 144. I don't use it anymore.

Next I calibrated it, trying a couple of recommendations I saw online. One of them looks really good, so happy with that.

And the backlight bleed has either reduced or I'm getting used to it. I only ever notice it in the bottom right corner on pure blacks.

For gaming, it is ridiculously good. No offense to the guy who pitched the TN panel, but hell no. That thing may have a slightly better response time but the input lag on those was tested and it's worse than the IPS model. I love the gsync (sooo smooth), and the massive screen. My only complaint is that I don't have a 1080 to push it. I rarely get more than 70-75 fps in BF1. Would love to try it with gsync and 120 fps. It's so smooth now I can only imagine. Oh, and it's made a noticeable difference in my K/D ratio. Didn't expect that, but I'm not imagining it.. the numbers are there.

Cliffs: fixed it/set it up properly, and am starting to fall in love.

Reactions: Arachnotronic