Trump's US Supreme Court Nominee Thread

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
That assumes both parties are willing to stop, yet from where I’m standing, both sides would love to stop the fight so long as they get in the last punch. Biden has an opportunity to stop the fight by not stacking the courts. Doing so would just be one more escalation in a long string of them.

The thing is the GOP doesn't want to stop even when the get the last punch. If they had any intention of even pretending to want to reestablish norms they would be doing so right now, as there is a very real chance that they would be able to have gotten the last punch in, but instead they are just plowing ahead. It literally makes no sense to hold out an olive branch to someone still kicking you.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
When you steal something you don't get to keep the proceeds. Impeach ACB, replace her with a Biden pick and the war is over. You don't get to leave with a 6-3 court. Do that and no need to stack the courts.

Sounds good to me. How about Kavanaugh first?

Reactions: hal2kilo

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
It’s interesting you say that. Even in dominant blue states, they send a Republican into the governor’s mansion every few years to provide parental supervision.

wrong.
They vote for the candidate, and those blue states R governors are much more moderates than the wackos in other places.

Charlie Baker and Larry Hogan would be considered radical commies in most of the inbred states.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I still think that should democrats take the senate and the presidency, democrats should pull the same shit that republicans pull. First, democrats should pass a law requiring any justice appointed within the last 4 years have the middle name of Fred (for a man) or Freda (for a woman). Should any justice appointed to the US Supreme Court within the previous 4 years fail to meet that requirement then that justice will be removed from the court. Or... was this the law republicans already used to block Obama's nominee? Democrats should pass a new law just off the top of their head, and kick every justice appointed by Trump to the curb. This would be a lot easier than going to all the trouble of expanding the court.

Jul 9, 2009
As Senator Corey Booker said today "this goose is already cooked"

I welcome who will be our next Supreme Court Justice ............ Amy Coney Barrett!

Reactions: pcgeek11

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Not sure there is anything to impeach him on. ACB lied during her testimony and we have video evidence.
there's certainly enough out there to investigate him lying to congress about his involvement in the torture program, warrantless wiretapping, and party fuckwardery regarding judicial appointments.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Jul 9, 2009
Senate Republicans don't know what it means to uphold standards and the Constitution. They will pay for it in a few weeks. Dems take over Senate and ACB can be impeached and convicted for perjury as fast as she was approved.
Bullshit. Read up on what it takes to actually impeach and convict a sitting USSC Justice.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
wrong.
They vote for the candidate, and those blue states R governors are much more moderates than the wackos in other places.

Charlie Baker and Larry Hogan would be considered radical commies in most of the inbred states.
I don’t know of any inbred states. I do know of states that diverge in ideology, some of those states occasionally elect leaders from the other camp when too much group think gets them nowhere.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
When you steal something you don't get to keep the proceeds. Impeach ACB, replace her with a Biden pick and the war is over. You don't get to leave with a 6-3 court. Do that and no need to stack the courts.
There are no grounds for impeachment. I assume at this point Democrats are throwing hail mary passes because Barrett did well on her job interview and under normal circumstances would coast through confirmation. She is no less contentious a choice than Sotomayor or Kagan, and will make a fine judge.

• Haha
Reactions: soundforbjt

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
There are no grounds for impeachment. I assume at this point Democrats are throwing hail mary passes because Barrett did well on her job interview and under normal circumstances would coast through confirmation. She is no less contentious a choice than Sotomayor or Kagan, and will make a fine judge.

She did as good as kavanuagh, without the tears.

Both perjured themselves, not like it matters. It's a shoe in cuz reasons.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If the Dems pack the courts, they are naughty. If they get any good laws passed, a 6-3 Court will strike them all down. That's how it's gonna go. The Founding Fathers never wanted a demagogue as president, which happened because the EC, that was designed to prevent that, but did exactly that. And for that demagogue to get 3 out of the 9 SC justice picks is insane. We are fundamentally broken.

I don't believe the American system is functional anymore. Between underrepresented millions in the House due to the cap on members, to the SC imbalance, to the EC, and the Senate, while well intentioned, is also just way too skewed to smaller states at this point. The world is evolving, the people in the economic engines that are the cities need to be represented more. We aren't going to force the gay lifestyle on these rural folks, we aren't going to force abortions on them, etc... But we need the choice to move forward as a species and a country.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If the Dems pack the courts, they are naughty. If they get any good laws passed, a 6-3 Court will strike them all down. That's how it's gonna go. The Founding Fathers never wanted a demagogue as president, which happened because the EC, that was designed to prevent that, but did exactly that. And for that demagogue to get 3 out of the 9 SC justice picks is insane. We are fundamentally broken.

The Republicans are going to force the Democrats to nuke the legislative filibuster on the first bill going so it will be just a hop, skip, and a jump to expanding the judiciary. The key will be not giving a flying fuck what the Republicans are saying.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump says specific things about how actual election laws are irrelevant and that the entire political system should ignore them in favor of what he thinks the results of the election should be.

GOP political figures, appointees and operatives are deliberately undermining election law and trying to make it as hard as possible for the election to conclude without controversy.

Trump campaign operatives are lobbying Republican-led state governments to legislatively pledge their electors to Trump in the event that the popular vote in their state goes to Biden. This is legally controversial and would almost certainly result in a lawsuit. Likely the GOP strategy would be to try to make the electoral process as controversial as possible and have as many mail-in-voting issues as possible to use as reasoning that state governments have to pledge their delegates.

We don’t know what will happen in court cases, but Trump is saying that he wants ACB on the SCOTUS to rule on this an avoid a 4-4 tie. If a 4-4 tie occurs, lower court rulings would be upheld, which is something Trump is saying he doesn’t want.

Given all of this, saying that he wants ACB on the court to rule in an election case is not something that has no relationship with the real world. There is no way for ACB to not have got the message of what Trump expects from her. This of course doesn’t automatically mean that she will rule for him no matter what, but the expectation is there and the only ethical response as a judge in this situation would be for her to commit to recusing.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Republican John Kennedy - “It’s a sincere question, I’m generally curious, who does the laundry in your house?”

Uh ..Wtf?. seriously?

Wouldn't that be Lindsey Graham?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Things were pretty uncivil at the nation’s inception, we literally had a Founding Father killed in a duel. We fought a civil war. WW2 had a unifying effect on a nation that was starting to diverge, and things got pretty uncivil in the 60s and 90s. If we actually governed by the norms we claim, most of these issues would go away.

That assumes both parties are willing to stop, yet from where I’m standing, both sides would love to stop the fight so long as they get in the last punch. Biden has an opportunity to stop the fight by not stacking the courts. Doing so would just be one more escalation in a long string of them.

Both parties would love to stop?! Lol!! What a delusional idiot!

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Both parties would love to stop?! Lol!! What a delusional idiot!
Agreed. Honestly he's a running meme at this point. Everything is a both sides issue so nothing can ever be fixed and its ok for one side to continue to grossly offend the general american public with its shenanigans.

Reactions: ElFenix

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Agreed. Honestly he's a running meme at this point. Everything is a both sides issue so nothing can ever be fixed and its ok for one side to continue to grossly offend the general american public with its shenanigans.
He is a fascist enabler pretending to be a centrist. Anyone who believes a thing he says is being negligent in their thinking.

He has three modes.

Yawn, fascism is boring, unless some liberal somewhere is graffitiing a statue. Then it's the end of the Republic.

Edgy, as in, my BothSidesDoIt™ just got fucking toasted, so I better show that I'm upset over mean words.

And of course, the go-to BothSidesDoIt™ schtick that is the BigLie that all fascists repeat over and over again so that their fascist tribe can continue throat stomping this country to death while pointing their finger at some imaginary liberal that exists in their fever dreams.

Reactions: ElFenix

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The general american public is so grossly offended that Barrett is actually polling reasonably well, increasingly so even amongst Democrats.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal
Jul 9, 2009
She did as good as kavanuagh, without the tears.

Both perjured themselves, not like it matters. It's a shoe in cuz reasons.
I'm just curious on what pending Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett said that would legally be considered perjury by anyone in the world besides a couple of people at ATP&N ?

I can't find any reference to perjury by her in any other place.

Reactions: pcgeek11