Trumps tweeted "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF" and i cant believe I agree with him

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Keep fighting a battle of intelligence with just 3 brain cells.

There was plenty of published & peer reviewed information out of China in January. Just too many arrogant westerners (and I include my own government and their "experts" in that), chose to ignore it.
So by your own admission, this was a failure on a global scale

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
So by your own admission, this was a failure on a global scale

A failure of many governments and their arrogant experts.

Those that had functioning systems with clear leadership capable of either making or delegating decisions so they could be swift and decisive - Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea to name a few - have done alright.

The USA will fare the worst out of all developed countries from this. Your already at 40k cases and haven't really started taking severe measures yet. That 40k will be 80k by the start of the weekend and likely 120k by the end of the weekend.

China only gave you 2-3 months warning, Europe gave you a month. Are you leaders that stupid they needed more time?

But sure you keep clapping like a seal at whatever Agent Orange does and cry as your precious stock market keeps sliding.

Reactions: Muse

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Blaming China works better?
No more than exclusively blaming Trump. He and his administration of course share some of the blame, but the politically motivated Monday morning quarterbacking isn’t exactly helping either.

This pandemic is a stark reminder that American exceptionalism can’t stop an invisible enemy that we’ve grown complacent in fearing.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
but the politically motivated Monday morning quarterbacking isn’t exactly helping either.

BULL.

He had months. Same as Johnson in the UK.

I on my own, in a field I'm not an expert in, would have done a far better job than both them put together. I was outlining (not here) what needed to be done and done quickly at the start of February. It wasn't and here we are.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No more than exclusively blaming Trump. He and his administration of course share some of the blame, but the politically motivated Monday morning quarterbacking isn’t exactly helping either.

This pandemic is a stark reminder that American exceptionalism can’t stop an invisible enemy that we’ve grown complacent in fearing.

He denied the problem even existed long after China went into full lockdown. The US is poised to be the newest and worst basket case due to his inability to lead. The Buck stops with him.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
BULL.

He had months. Same as Johnson in the UK.

I on my own, in a field I'm not an expert in, would have done a far better job than both them put together. I was outlining (not here) what needed to be done and done quickly at the start of February. It wasn't and here we are.
You cited Hong Kong as a success story. They’re now facing a potential second spike, and witnessing increased xenophobic rhetoric against westerners. The city has essentially and effectively shut down. I don’t see a western society able to mirror the Hong Kong, South Korea or Singapore models, and because we live in a transient global economy, they can’t sustain their quarantines indefinitely.

This is a global pandemic. At this point, resources are better directed at developing treatment protocols and a vaccine. Containment is wishful thinking.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It's funny looking at any news organization other than Fox. They are all looking at the numbers and the curve and asking each other seriously if it's possible we could all be going back to work by Easter.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
He denied the problem even existed long after China went into full lockdown. The US is poised to be the newest and worst basket case due to his inability to lead. The Buck stops with him.
China is having mixed results with lockdown. Western society will simply never accept a full lockdown. The beaches from Florida to California were packed last weekend. Children are still congregating on playgrounds. I blame the people who are not sheltering in place.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
You cited Hong Kong as a success story.

Yep

They’re now facing a potential second spike, and witnessing increased xenophobic rhetoric against westerners. The city has essentially and effectively shut down. I don’t see a western society able to mirror the Hong Kong, South Korea or Singapore models, and because we live in a transient global economy, they can’t sustain their quarantines indefinitely.

They have a spike because they announced quarantine measures for any new arrivals into the place. Mistake being that wasn't initiated instantly.

So there was a bump in travel and people travelled back with the virus.

This is a global pandemic. At this point, resources are better directed at developing treatment protocols and a vaccine. Containment is wishful thinking.

Ahh, yep. Special kind of stupid.

There won't be a vaccine for minimum 12 months, perhaps 18 months and more likely 24+ months.

Left without mitigation measures, this will blow through the entire population of the USA in less than 3.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
China is having mixed results with lockdown.

I may have to upgrade "special kind of stupid".

Have you looked at any of the case curves?

Do you have the slightest notion of what you are talking about?

-1x-1.png

As clear a marker as could possibly be about the effectiveness of a lockdown.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

-1x-1.png

You make the assumption that the poster you responding to has integrity and cares about facts. He'll move the goal posts several times (while denying doing do) and finally when that doesn't work anymore he'll start telling you that you are disingenuous. He used to post some good stuff but over the last 2 years has completely lost it. Its better to ignore the trolling because that's all it is at this point.

Reactions: ivwshane

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Anyone notice the stellar job done by NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo?

He could have done the job of inspiring and informing the country

I watched his press conference over the weekend (very good, informative and calm) then later watched Trump's.

What a stunning difference...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I watched his press conference over the weekend (very good, informative and calm) then later watched Trump's.

Andrew Cuomo is a giant piece of shit but even as someone who hates him I think he has done a fantastic job in about the hardest circumstances possible.

It’s funny, I hate Cuomo’s policies for the most part but he’s apparently a great leader in a crisis. I generally agree with de Blasio’s policies but what a shit leader when you need him.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

-1x-1.png

Did you even read what I wrote regarding current reports from Hong Kong? What happens to that curve once they start opening their country to flights from western countries?

As I’ve said repeatedly and as evident by the behaviors of western society, total lockdown is simply not going to happen.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Andrew Cuomo is a giant piece of shit but even as someone who hates him I think he has done a fantastic job in about the hardest circumstances possible.

It’s funny, I hate Cuomo’s policies for the most part but he’s apparently a great leader in a crisis. I generally agree with de Blasio’s policies but what a shit leader when you need him.

Even some die hard Trumpers I work with was giving him credit.

Silver lining to all this has been watching increasingly desperate defences and eventual cracking at Trump's actions and demonstrated competence.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You make the assumption that the poster you responding to has integrity and cares about facts. He'll move the goal posts several times (while denying doing do) and finally when that doesn't work anymore he'll start telling you that you are disingenuous. He used to post some good stuff but over the last 2 years has completely lost it. Its better to ignore the trolling because that's all it is at this point.
irony

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Pretty much everyone was, I don't think anyone wanted to be the first one to jump in the pool. Having said that, he's totally gone above and beyond at this point which I appreciate.
Mayor London Breed of San Francisco was, I believe, the first mayor of a major city to direct everyone to stay inside except for essential services purposes. Others followed suit within days. My town was lagging, to my chagrin, but they fell in line. Berkeley, CA. The city council here likes to think they are cutting edge, but they're very often complete idiots. Like, for instance, they banned gas kitchen stoves in new construction. Just the other night at 12:08AM the power went out for 8 hours or so. I had a warm meal because my range is gas.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

Cuomo is great in a press conference, yet there are still flights filled with New Yorkers fleeing to Florida to the extent that the governor of Florida is deploying the national guard to help with self isolation and contact reporting enforcement.

Why hasn’t Cuomo compelled PANYNJ to shut down its airports if NYC is now the epicenter?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Your comments are just foolish. I knew this was coming, just see Contagion: "It's not a matter of if but when." But Trump in his hubris dismantled the pandemic response unit put in place by Obama, saying "I'm a businessman" as justification, he couldn't see paying for something that wasn't being currently used. Preparedness meant nothing to the orange one. Monday morning quarterbacking? Are you mad? I saw this coming back in January. Trump had a chance to do something to ameliorate the situation, instead he tried to minimize the seriousness, did everything he could to hide the dangers from the public. He made decisions with the intent of hiding the extent to which the epidemic was spreading here, dragging his feet on developing and distributing test kits. That was nothing short of criminal. The man should have been removed by the Senate. Now we'll pay for their lack of integrity.

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Such foolishness. I knew this was coming, just see Contagion: "It's not a matter of if but when." But Trump in his hubris dismantled the pandemic response unit put in place by Obama, saying "I'm a businessman" as justification, he couldn't see paying for something that wasn't being currently used. Preparedness meant nothing to the orange one. Monday morning quarterbacking? Are you mad? I saw this coming back in January.
We either shut it all down for a few weeks or brace for it to burn through our society. The federal government should not have to enforce shelter in place guidelines. These half measures are only delaying the inevitable.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We either shut it all down for a few weeks or brace for it to burn through our society. The federal government should not have to enforce shelter in place guidelines. These half measures are only delaying the inevitable.
I honestly don't know WTF you're talking about.

"There is absolutely no inevitability as long as there is a willingness to contemplate what is happening." That from Marshall McCluhan's "The Medium is the Message."

You are smoking some terrible stuff.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

this is how you want to spend your last days on the planet? Defending the orange noob? The united states have been global leaders on a lot of things including pandemic preparedness. Trump canceled that because he's fucking dumb. There really is nothing else.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I'm not going to read through all these pages so I risk saying what has already been said multiple times:
The economy was fucked. No amount of hand wringing will fix that. If we lessen restrictions the death and hospitalization rate will fuck the economy. If we don't, it is fucked too but we might have a working healthcare system instead of smoking ruins.

• Love
Reactions: uclaLabrat and Muse

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

if we are at the point of delaying the inevitable then we should delay so we dont overwhelm the healthcare. You got to be smarter than this.