Trump's rise reveals Republican "low taxes" mantra isn't actually supported by base

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I don't know why anyone would care what Trump's base thinks. The opinions of the stupidest people in America are worth as much as they are, 0.

The bigger question is how do we know that Trump's base thinks? Frankly I have yet to see any evidence supporting such a bold conclusion.

And that there is exactly why the Trumps of the world are so popular and dangerous, because they can effectively channel the frustration and anger of all those "stupidest people in America" who where thrown overboard by the self serving Republicans and Democrats after they promised them American pie in the sky bullshit in order to get their vote for the last 30 years.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Your stereotypes, hyperbole and simplistic caricatures of complex issues preclude the possibility of honest and reasonable discussion. But, for some reason, you don't seem to get this. Do yourself a favor and think about what I'm saying to you for a few minutes.

Hogwash. What you're saying is that Krugman is always wrong, except when he's right, which has been most of the time over the last 10 years.

When bot Bernie Sanders & Donald Trump strike a resonance in the electorate over top tier taxes it has to scare the shit out of the people financing America's right wing. Not that it matters in terms of their lifestyles. It just matters in terms of running up the score & hogging the pie.

Nov 30, 2006
What, 3.5 out of 4 not good enough for you?

So please let us know who your 4.0/4.0 right-wing economic heroes are.
Holy shit...is he really comparing himself to the likes of Peter Shiff and James Turk (neither of which is an economist) who predicted hyperinflation! Wow...using that as his benchmark, he should have rated himself a 4.0+++! Life lesson....instead of taking Krugman's word for how great he is, perhaps you should spend a little time researching what other economists think of him.

There's a lot of very solid economists out there...if you can't find them, you aren't looking very hard.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Holy shit...is he really comparing himself to the likes of Peter Shiff and James Turk (neither of which is an economist) who predicted hyperinflation! Wow...using that as his benchmark, he should have rated himself a 4.0+++! Life lesson....instead of taking Krugman's word for how great he is, perhaps you should spend a little time researching what other economists think of him.

There's a lot of very solid economists out there...if you can't find them, you aren't looking very hard.
Why not help us out? You know, economists who - early on - predicted the aftermath of the Great Recession and of the various measures to counteract it more accurately than Krugman did.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Why not help us out? You know, economists who - early on - predicted the aftermath of the Great Recession and of the various measures to counteract it more accurately than Krugman did.
He probably won't. But trust DSF they are the best and brightest unlike that hack at the NYT. The greatest ever he will tell you.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I gave you a long list of people who were dead wrong about the housing bubble, many economists among them. Many of them have been dead wrong about inflation, as well.

They're like you- when ideology & experience collide, stick to the ideology no matter what.

Truthiness reigns supreme on the right, make no mistake about that.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Can OP retitle the thread please? Clearly this is the "watch DSF back pedal" thread.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Unrelated but funny. I just saw some conservative strategist just say Trump is not conservative, he wants to secure the boarder which is a conservative goal but he wants to use big Government to do it.

I just caught the end I didn't get his name.

Is there any issue where Trump hasn't said that he as President, and thus Big Government, is the answer?
The guy is the ultimate populist, and not conservative by any stretch of the imagination.
But then again, who among the GOP candidates is? They're little more than the ethnic purity party now. Traditional conservative values, like small government and lower taxes, are clearly in the back seat.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
About the same number of times I've been quoted as an authority on a subject that's completely outside of my field. Paul Krugman is a hack....deal with it.

UWKxKnq.jpg

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Is there any issue where Trump hasn't said that he as President, and thus Big Government, is the answer?
The guy is the ultimate populist, and not conservative by any stretch of the imagination.
But then again, who among the GOP candidates is? They're little more than the ethnic purity party now. Traditional conservative values, like small government and lower taxes, are clearly in the back seat.

I think part of that problem is that most recognize that they have been hoodwinked. The "small government" guys are idiots that are just captured by the system that ultimately end up owing the system anyway. Rand Paul is a loon.

The social conservatives are realizing that they won't get anywhere without coming more centrist.

The trickle down bullshittery is being exposed for what it is, and thus, is being marginalized.

What's hilarious is that the liberals are the ones who are being inflexible at this point.

Ethnic purity? Bitch, please, 45% of this country, more than Hillary, 30% of hispanics, 25% of blacks, 40% of Asians, aren't all for ethnic purity. They are for jobs and simple economics.

Your pathetic attempt to polarize and marginalize is being exposed for the idiocy it is. You liberals are running out of excuses to blame racism and even black people are getting tired of it.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I think part of that problem is that most recognize that they have been hoodwinked. The "small government" guys are idiots that are just captured by the system that ultimately end up owing the system anyway. Rand Paul is a loon.

The social conservatives are realizing that they won't get anywhere without coming more centrist.

The trickle down bullshittery is being exposed for what it is, and thus, is being marginalized.

What's hilarious is that the liberals are the ones who are being inflexible at this point.

Ethnic purity? Bitch, please, 45% of this country, more than Hillary, 30% of hispanics, 25% of blacks, 40% of Asians, aren't all for ethnic purity. They are for jobs and simple economics.

Your pathetic attempt to polarize and marginalize is being exposed for the idiocy it is. You liberals are running out of excuses to blame racism and even black people are getting tired of it.

Whoa!

Even black people are getting tired of it?

You can't help separating them out, can you?

You're hilarious. I love your posts.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Whoa!

Even black people are getting tired of it?

You can't help separating them out, can you?

You're hilarious. I love your posts.

It is pretty hilarious. Trump is on the way to garner more black support than the previous several R candidates. Why?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Hey, if you freak shows are finally willing to admit that you believe in big government spending and entitlement in order to shield you from the risks inherent to capitalism and competition in the global marketplace, I'm all for it.
Just stop lying then that you believe in small government, low taxes, capitalism, free markets, and freedom then, because you obviously don't believe in any of those. Just government protectionism.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Hey, if you freak shows are finally willing to admit that you believe in big government spending and entitlement in order to shield you from the risks inherent to capitalism and competition in the global marketplace, I'm all for it.
Just stop lying then that you believe in small government, low taxes, capitalism, free markets, and freedom then, because you obviously don't believe in any of those. Just government protectionism.
Not sure who you are talking about, I've always been for higher taxes for the rich, lower taxes for middle class, single payer, mostly free markets...etc.

People are re-prioritizing. Hopefully it sticks.