Trump's lawyer just sent a letter to Mueller indicating President is above the law

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
His staff seems to have forgotten all that Nixon stuff. IMO letter was leaked by Trump team not to convince Mueller but to put talking points out into the public

Trump's lawyers even argue he is too busy to answer a subpoena even though Trump is breaking all Presidential records for playing golf. Methinks SC will say Trump has to forego some of that executive time.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/06/02/us/politics/trump-legal-documents.html

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Just read this, are you F-ing kidding me?, Trump's lawyer's are basically saying "it doesn't matter, as POTUS I can break any law", this is legally laughable according to all who have viewed this. Trump's lawyers, (probably Dowd who has since quit) are playing checkers while Mueller is playing 3D chess.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Letter was sent in January but yea.

The argument that crimes aren't crimes if Trump does them is problematic to say the least.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump's lawyers can't let Trump be deposed. He'd trip over his own lies, a crime in itself. I don't think Mueller will try to force it, either. Whatever Mueller comes up with will go to Rosenstein & from there out to Congress & the people. Should Trump refuse testimony to Congress impeachment can proceed on that basis alone.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Trump's lawyers can't let Trump be deposed. He'd trip over his own lies, a crime in itself. I don't think Mueller will try to force it, either. Whatever Mueller comes up with will go to Rosenstein & from there out to Congress & the people. Should Trump refuse testimony to Congress impeachment can proceed on that basis alone.

One necessary step. From impeachment to prison as the crimes warrant.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I don't think a subpoena out of the realm of possibility, at all. The primary reason I suspect Mueller has held off is that they've unraveled a rats nest of illegal shit done by people in his orbit and are working on all of that too. Those indictments will land before they'd subpoena Trump.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I don't think a subpoena out of the realm of possibility, at all. The primary reason I suspect Mueller has held off is that they've unraveled a rats nest of illegal shit done by people in his orbit and are working on all of that too. Those indictments will land before they'd subpoena Trump.

Yea, that's my take as well, shi*, we often see 3-4 different things happening every week, Mueller must see Rudy as a gift from above, sit back and note the carnage. What's different from the Nixon era is Nixon didn't have his own network to air out lies on his behalf. Worse for us is while we wait to hopefully see this clown somehow removed our foreign relations have gone to hell. Our stalwart neighbor Canada is openly railing against tariff's as is the EU. Maybe the hit to business will finally bury this nightmare for good.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
that letter is claiming that the president can order his associates to commit federal crimes and then can order federal law enforcement to ignore those crimes. It should be blindingly obvious to any sane person that this is not only wrong, but anyone arguing this should be removed from office.

In light of this we all know republicans will do nothing.

PS85

Feb 10, 2014
One necessary step. From impeachment to prison as the crimes warrant.
Not a chance.Trump will never finish his first term, he will abscond to Russia before he ever lets them arrest him. Once there, Putin will fix Trump up with his own weekly RT, (Russia Today), network show entitled I Fought The Evil Zionist Globalist New World Order But They Impeached Me Instead.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
And what happened when Clinton said he was too busy? As usual, Republicans are full of shit.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Has Pence been sent down to cryo sleep, like, wherever Cheney built his chambers near the executive suites outside of the Whitehouse? Haven't heard from that guy in forever.

Ditto Melania. Is she sleeping with Pence in cold storage? I'm thinking there is a targeted effort to keep Pence on total radio silence until SHTF, and so they can push him out with as little controversy as necessary. From the beginning, this is always why I think Pence was tapped, anyway. Everyone knew Trump was a fucking crook. His only chance to be elected was Pence--able to step in when the Kochs decide the time is right.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
that letter is claiming that the president can order his associates to commit federal crimes and then can order federal law enforcement to ignore those crimes. It should be blindingly obvious to any sane person that this is not only wrong, but anyone arguing this should be removed from office.

Actually the Republicans are finally bitching about Trump, it's his insane Tarriff's that have them upset. If jobs get affected by this horrific policy they might lose votes, never mind Trump's attempt to trash the entire system of justice, zero F's given about that. Ugh, what s disgrace this country has turned into.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

That's essentially what the defense is laying out, and the law that would put that in check is obstruction of justice. Well, Clinton was already impeached for that related to something vastly less in scope and totally unimportant to national security. That to me seems to completely undo their legal argument, at least to whether Congress should consider it an impeachable offense. But that's a political mechanism. This might be a defense in court if he were charged after leaving office and not pardoned. I think it's a stupid defense, but it helps elucidate to me the strategy that Trump's legal team had. They were making sure Mueller dotted his i's and crossed his t's, and established some degree of transparency such that they couldn't be blindsided, and they used that transparency to proactively submit documents and such to tie up Mueller's team, making it much harder to prove that getting more including Trump's testimony is required. And in attacking various sources, they are wanting to keep very tight reign on what quality of evidence is considered. Since there's a plethora of circumstantial evidence, any small victory in their arguments can be used to try and keep a bunch of crap out. It could work, because Trump is unpredictable and changes positions practically mid-sentence sometimes. If nothing else, there are good stall tactics, and having already crossed those bridges with the special counsel, they'll know how they might play out arguing them to Congress. As we know, he has plenty of shills that will use Trump's inconsistency to individually throw shade on a whole plethora of things. He can make it a purely political show very easily, if it wasn't already that anyway. Which sucks, because 2/3rds vote is required for removal. Perhaps the best hope is his own party turning on him, which doesn't seem too unlikely. Really, they would already have done that many times over if not for his popularity with their base. Really, they shouldn't care. It's not like those people are going to become Bernie Bros if Trump gets knocked out.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Can the president pardon himself? Yea he probably can. Dont like it, change the constitution.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-power-pardon-giuliani/story?id=55611418

specific part is ~8 minutes in.

Uh, no. Nemo iudex in causa sua. Giuliniani knows this, hence "I think the political ramifications of that would be tough. Pardoning other people is one thing. Pardoning yourself is another."

He's trying to keep up appearances for the traitor he works for.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
When you are out for justice against someone who thinks they are above the law, who do you call?

The very man Putin has in his back pocket.
161103-Benson-putin-Seagal-tease_b4qiw4

Damn Putin is playing 20D chess. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: HomerJS