Trump's estranged niece publishing book about Trump and their childhood

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
From the book...

“His pathologies have rendered him so simple-minded [that] it takes nothing more than repeating to him the things he says to and about himself dozens of times a day—he’s the smartest, the greatest, the best—to get him to do whatever they want, whether it’s … betraying allies, implementing economy-crushing tax cuts, or degrading every institution that’s contributed to the United States’s rise and the flourishing of liberal democracy.”

…In the process, the very thing the American Founders sought to avoid in the experiment they laid out—a public held captive by the whims of a fickle ruler—has come to pass, not in spite of the Constitution’s protections, but precisely because of them. Mary Trump blames her grandfather and her grandmother for the rise of Donald Trump; she also blames the banks that, having vested interests in Trump’s self-mythology, financed him through bad investments and bankruptcies. She blames the media—the tabloids of the 1980s, the television shows of the early 2000s, the political press of 2016—that treated his lies as harmless entertainment. She blames all those who know what he is and still do nothing."

Beyond the obvious money making motive for this book, I think, as with most things for or about Trump, this has an audience of ONE theme. To the extent this book contributes to Trump suffering meltdown after meltdown, or even a case of flared hemorrhoids, I’m all for it.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I’m not really interested as I said earlier her side of the family appears to be very damaged. Maybe more functional but damaged. She doesn’t really have anything new other than innuendo and funny family observations
Kind of how Trump runs the government, On innuendo and observations that has no basis of fact!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
From the book...

“His pathologies have rendered him so simple-minded [that] it takes nothing more than repeating to him the things he says to and about himself dozens of times a day—he’s the smartest, the greatest, the best—to get him to do whatever they want, whether it’s … betraying allies, implementing economy-crushing tax cuts, or degrading every institution that’s contributed to the United States’s rise and the flourishing of liberal democracy.”

…In the process, the very thing the American Founders sought to avoid in the experiment they laid out—a public held captive by the whims of a fickle ruler—has come to pass, not in spite of the Constitution’s protections, but precisely because of them. Mary Trump blames her grandfather and her grandmother for the rise of Donald Trump; she also blames the banks that, having vested interests in Trump’s self-mythology, financed him through bad investments and bankruptcies. She blames the media—the tabloids of the 1980s, the television shows of the early 2000s, the political press of 2016—that treated his lies as harmless entertainment. She blames all those who know what he is and still do nothing."

Beyond the obvious money making motive for this book, I think, as with most things for or about Trump, this has an audience of ONE theme. To the extent this book contributes to Trump suffering meltdown after meltdown, or even a case of flared hemorrhoids, I’m all for it.

Everyone who writes a book gets paid.

Since her observations about Trump are entirely consistent with the public persona we have all unfortunately come to be familiar with, I am inclined to credit every last word of every anecdote she describes about him. I highly doubt she needed to fabricate a single word. Does anyone doubt that a man who cheats in elections, cheats in business, cheats on his taxes, even cheats in beauty pageants he sponsored, also cheated on his SAT's?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Everyone who writes a book gets paid.

Since her observations about Trump are entirely consistent with the public persona we have all unfortunately come to be familiar with, I am inclined to credit every last word of every anecdote she describes about him. I highly doubt she needed to fabricate a single word. Does anyone doubt that a man who cheats in elections, cheats in business, cheats on his taxes, cheats on his wife, cheats at golf, even cheats in beauty pageants he sponsored, also cheated on his SAT's?
ftfy.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Her book is a best seller!

"Mary Trump's tell-all book had sold a staggering 950,000 copies by the end of its first day on sale" ~Simon & Schuster said Thursday."

Holy crap.

That figure, which included pre-sales, as well as e-books and audiobooks, is a new record for Simon & Schuster, the company said.

An all time record for a major publishing house which has been in business since 1924.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Mary Trump already admitted Donald Trump has used anti-semitic slurs and the n-word.

Are we shocked that Donald is an anti-Semite and a racist?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Mary Trump already admitted Donald Trump has used anti-semitic slurs and the n-word.

Are we shocked that Donald is an anti-Semite and a racist?

While I can't recall anything about anti-Semitic slurs before this, IIRC others have said that Trump uses the n-word in private. If memory serves, Michael Cohen was one of them.

Edit: No, from Cohen it was the following remarks:
  • “Black people are too stupid to vote for me.”
  • “Name one country run by a black person that’s not a shithole. Name one city."
  • While traveling through a Chicago neighborhood: “Only the blacks could live like this.”
  • On a black finalist on “The Apprentice”: “There’s no way I can let this black f-g win.”
The homophobic slur in that last one is a bonus because Trump never disappoints.

Reactions: dawp and Aegeon

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I'm about 90 pages into this book now. I have to say, it's a good book. Good in the sense that it is well written and insightful. It's depressing and compelling all at once, like a train wreck that somehow you can't manage to stop looking at.

I've read four other Trump books and this one is the best so far. You can't look at the bits and pieces of dirt being reported in the media and get the gist of it. You have to read the whole narrative and all the context. Like I said earlier, the book is for people who are perhaps perversely fascinated with the question of how someone becomes as bad a person as Trump. This book answers that question very well.

I also read some of the Bolton book but in that case I recommend just reading the blurbs in the media. That is the good stuff, while everything in between is totally unbearable as Bolton is such an ass.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It seems to me that this is a political step. A book is an opportunity for long-term influence on educated people. This book reminded me of the story of Antigone. A tragic story with a logical ending. The book did not help to activate the hearts of the opponent's political forces.
I mean he did lose, after all.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
That's why he never played in any Pro-Am tournaments. He couldn't make the cut without cheating.

For Trump cheating is just a feature of the game to take advantage of. In fact, cheating is a way of life for that crook. It's the one skill he's had to get really good at out of necessity.

Small wonder he fits in so well with the Repub Crime Organization.

Reactions: hal2kilo