Trumpanzees now want to increase the voting age and other requirements to vote (like bringing back some form of poll tax).

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
1) It's education-related, and therefore bad
2) There isn't anything Republicans have done that they can't blame on Democrats. It's easy when you're utterly bereft of intellectual honesty.
Remember..They've wanted to abolish the Education Dept. for like FOREVER. This is the road to theocracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
While one could say it's a long way from grass-roots Republicans sounding off in surveys, to actual real-world legislation, seems there's reason to worry that if they conclude their multi-decade campaign to overturn Roe vs Wade has culminated in success, they'll be inclined to start thinking about other, once far-fetched, projects.

And what Republicans do today, conservatives here will try and imitate tomorrow. We are now set to have a voter-photo-id law - clearly an idea cribbed from the US right - that serves no purpose other than to suppress the vote of the kind of people who don't vote Tory. I'll have to go through some time-consuming paperwork rigmarole, involving dealing with my inept local authority, to apply for special voting ID, as I don't have a driving licence and my passport expired a long time ago (and I can't afford to apply for a new one purely as voting ID as the cost of them has gone up dramatically).
And while I'll probably go through that palavar as I want to be able to vote in future, I am pretty sure that a lot of my fellow non-driving, non-foreign-travelling, non-affluent voters won't bother or be organised enough to get round to it. Which I suspect is the whole point of this new law.

Precisely the effect the Repubs are gunning for. They've given up pretending to be honorable and full of morality and ethics because Trump exposed what a sham that was simply from being who he is. The conservatives (and I use that term with full knowledge that they aren't anymore) of the nation have decided that in a level political playing field they will lose control of the gov't at the federal level and lose more state gov'ts than they'd care to admit.

So subverting the electoral processes at the state level in every despicable underhanded way they can is not only essential for their hanging on to the power they now have, it's an existential necessity for them to do so given how further and further to the right they're headed, alienating more and more of the people of the nation as the Party of Trump seems unable/unwilling to right the constitutional wrongs they're committing on a daily basis in their effort to drag the nation into a state of fascism of which has become their only hope for staying even remotely relevant as a party.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Just imagine if all those crazy Trumpie candidates, who Trump endorses, were actually elected to office. Then, also imagine Donald Trump getting reelected.
Abortion would be the least of our problems. Trump would immediately declare himself as president for life, Trump would pardon those who took part in the insurrection, and Trump would rewrite history to show the 2020 election was stolen.

Then, republicans would impose the agenda suggested by Rick Scott. Taxing the poor, taxing the fixed income, taxing the elderly.
And Rick Scott knows how to solve the labor problem i.e. the lack of by making people so poor that they have no choice but to go back to work for slave labor under a slave labor environment, with people not holding one slave labor job but force to hold down several slave labor jobs.

Then, give the filthy rich more tax cuts and give business more tax breaks so Trump can once again gather them all at maralago to announce "you all just became a lot richer".

This is the America republicans want. That they desire so desperately. An America where the rich and privileged control everything, the poor have nothing and by the poor I mean the middle class, and Donald Trump goes merrily along as would any carefree oligarch.

The midterms will be a lot of fun....

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just imagine if all those crazy Trumpie candidates, who Trump endorses, were actually elected to office. Then, also imagine Donald Trump getting reelected.
Abortion would be the least of our problems. Trump would immediately declare himself as president for life, Trump would pardon those who took part in the insurrection, and Trump would rewrite history to show the 2020 election was stolen.

Then, republicans would impose the agenda suggested by Rick Scott. Taxing the poor, taxing the fixed income, taxing the elderly.
And Rick Scott knows how to solve the labor problem i.e. the lack of by making people so poor that they have no choice but to go back to work for slave labor under a slave labor environment, with people not holding one slave labor job but force to hold down several slave labor jobs.

Then, give the filthy rich more tax cuts and give business more tax breaks so Trump can once again gather them all at maralago to announce "you all just became a lot richer".

This is the America republicans want. That they desire so desperately. An America where the rich and privileged control everything, the poor have nothing and by the poor I mean the middle class, and Donald Trump goes merrily along as would any carefree oligarch.

It's basically, keep EVERYBODY pregnant, barefoot, and in the kitchen. Us billionaires like it that way.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
He can't just "declare himself as president for life". And I don't think he'd bother pardoning the people who took part in the insurrection unless it personally benefited him in some way either.

Yes, this is what the Republicans want, but you need to take a deep breath and maybe consider medication, you're constantly on the edge of sanity.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
He can't just "declare himself as president for life". And I don't think he'd bother pardoning the people who took part in the insurrection unless it personally benefited him in some way either.

Yes, this is what the Republicans want, but you need to take a deep breath and maybe consider medication, you're constantly on the edge of sanity.
No you need to wake the F up.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
What, no 'You must be a land owner in order to vote.' response in the comments section?
To be honest with you, anyone can own a plot of land, even a 18 year old if their parents are rich. With the comment section theme being removing the right to vote for young people, I do not think land plot requirements would fit in.