Trump War Against Trans Americans Continues as CDC Replaces LGBTQ References with LGB

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, I am disagreeing with you. That’s still allowed, right?

You are not disagreeing with me, you’re just making nonsensical straw men. Nobody has ever argued that the CDC wouldn’t have reason to distinguish between sex and gender and they do so frequently. What we are saying is that there was no reason to do so in any of the circumstances in the OP.

Reactions: Anarchist Mae

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You are not disagreeing with me, you’re just making nonsensical straw men. Nobody has ever argued that the CDC wouldn’t have reason to distinguish between sex and gender and they do so frequently. What we are saying is that there was no reason to do so in any of the circumstances in the OP.
Yes, and the OP and I had a pleasant exchange sharing different perspectives on that topic, during which I acknowledged that Trump is wrong.

What was that about strawmen?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, and the OP and I had a pleasant exchange sharing different perspectives on that topic, during which I acknowledged that Trump is wrong.

What was that about strawmen?

That you pretended that anyone was arguing the CDC should never distinguish between sex and gender.

I mean they don’t get much more obvious than that.

Anarchist Mae

Apr 4, 2017
mae.codes
I didn’t pretend anything.

You've taken this discussion and turned it into "well trump is gross, but what if there's a good reason!" Which, no, there isn't a good reason to drop anything from LGBTQIA+ except to be an arse to a particular group of people that you don't like, which, shockingly is what everyone is talking about and what you're writing low key apology for.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You've taken this discussion and turned it into "well trump is gross, but what if there's a good reason!" Which, no, there isn't a good reason to drop anything from LGBTQIA+ except to be an arse to a particular group of people that you don't like, which, shockingly is what everyone is talking about and what you're writing low key apology for.
Go back and read the chronology of the conversation.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Stop writing apologia for transphobes.
Having a reasonable conversation around biology, identity and sexuality is not transphobia.

Transphobia is deliberately ignoring preferred pronouns, discriminating against trans people or otherwise being disrespectful towards them.

Acknowledging the rationale for cisgender women’s sports is not transphobia.

Anarchist Mae

Apr 4, 2017
mae.codes
Having a reasonable conversation around biology, identity and sexuality is not transphobia.

Transphobia is deliberately ignoring preferred pronouns, discriminating against trans people or otherwise being disrespectful towards them.

Acknowledging the rationale for cisgender women’s sports is not transphobia.

Sure it's not, so long as there's actually something to back it up other than speculation, but there's not. In effect it is transphobia and always has been, it isn't used for rational debate but to help otherise trans people so that they can be targeted by discrimination. It's a convenient thing that reactionaries have latched on to in order to scare the crap out of ordinary people.

But that is besides the point, because you've been writing apologia for trans people from LGBTQIA+ despite the fact that trans people have faced the exact same discrimination as LGB and QIA people.

I don't really care what your intent was in doing so, because in effect it is playing into the hands of right wing reactionaries who'd rather people like myself were dead.

My life, and the lives of people like me are not a platform for you to debate on.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Sure it's not, so long as there's actually something to back it up other than speculation, but there's not. In effect it is transphobia and always has been, it isn't used for rational debate but to help otherise trans people so that they can be targeted by discrimination. It's a convenient thing that reactionaries have latched on to in order to scare the crap out of ordinary people.

But that is besides the point, because you've been writing apologia for trans people from LGBTQIA+ despite the fact that trans people have faced the exact same discrimination as LGB and QIA people.

I don't really care what your intent was in doing so, because in effect it is playing into the hands of right wing reactionaries who'd rather people like myself were dead.

My life, and the lives of people like me are not a platform for you to debate on.
Your life is not open to debate, but cisgender women have a right to protect the spaces they created for themselves in the face of discrimination, which is why some 2nd wave femininsts have a different perspective on this topic.
Sure ya did, you pretend like you read the article.
Stop pretending like you have a point

Anarchist Mae

Apr 4, 2017
mae.codes
Your life is not open to debate, but cisgender women have a right to protect the spaces they created for themselves in the face of discrimination, which is why some 2nd wave femininsts have a different perspective on this topic.

A perspective that's not backed up by the science. The problem of 'trans women in womens sports' can be solved by writing rules to address it.

That's not why this ever comes up, this only ever comes up as a right wing talking point, as an attempt to exclude trans people from the rest of society too. These people want to bar trans women from all women's spaces, bathrooms, battered shelters, homeless shelters, anything they can think of.

You don't need to play devils advocate for every position, sometimes it's ok to say no, that's a position not worth entertaining. And if you are going to entertain it, you'd better do more than just sling rhetoric, how about some science that backs up your position, how about anything tangible.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
A perspective that's not backed up by the science. The problem of 'trans women in womens sports' can be solved by writing rules to address it.

That's not why this ever comes up, this only ever comes up as a right wing talking point, as an attempt to exclude trans people from the rest of society too. These people want to bar trans women from all women's spaces, bathrooms, battered shelters, homeless shelters, anything they can think of.

You don't need to play devils advocate for every position, sometimes it's ok to say no, that's a position not worth entertaining. And if you are going to entertain it, you'd better do more than just sling rhetoric, how about some science that backs up your position, how about anything tangible.
It’s really not my place to decide, so take my comments in the spirit of discussion.

Let’s move past sports. You made an earlier comment about trans men. I have found that the more trans men adopt stereotypical male behaviors, the more male society accepts them. From style of dress to tattoos to haircuts to vices (they all seem to dip or smoke) to how they speak about cisgender women...they’re path to acceptance is easier than trans women.

Yet if you talk to some cisgender gay men, they resent this dynamic as they’ve not traditionally experienced acceptance by cisgender hetero males. I know a few cisgender gay men who actually resent even the idea of trans men who identity as gay.

I recognize that the far right has an agenda to erase the trans community. I agree that our society will find answers to these questions.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
My daughter casually mentioned that there's a trans student at her junior high the same way she'd mention someone has a new haircut or something. Older people can't fathom how younger people just dgaf about that any more.

Yeah, one of my daughter’s college dorm mates is a trans woman. It doesn’t seem to be a big deal to her.