Trump wants to invade.....

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
He's proposed stop and frisk nationwide, profiling, and chided companies for not opening their encryption to authorities (part of the "close up the internet talk").

That's also just the tip of the iceberg of blatantly unconstitutional things he's proposed.

And if he did that I would agree it would be unconstitutional. I have seen and read nothing linking that to what is being said about Chicago. You would not need Feds to do any of those activities, so sending in Feds does not appear connected. I do not see why its the only conclusion you can come too.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And if he did that I would agree it would be unconstitutional. I have seen and read nothing linking that to what is being said about Chicago. You would not need Feds to do any of those activities, so sending in Feds does not appear connected. I do not see why its the only conclusion you can come too.

See other post.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
See other post.

Again, it can be read in far more ways. Ill grant you he could want those things, but he could also be talking about a lot more. You saying its the only conclusion you can see must mean you are blind.

Here is an example. The Right loves to believe that minorities are given passes in life because they are minorities. He could believe that they are being PC because they are taking it easy on these groups, which make up the vast majority of violent criminals in Chicago. That is speculation but so is your view on his meaning. You are arguing that there is only one possible meaning here and that is incorrect.

You are sounding just like the guys on the Right that think the government is out to take their freedom away. I would agree that Trump is far more likely to do it compared to someone like Obama, but until we see something specific you are speculating.

Realize that I'm not saying Trump is a nice guy who just wants hugs for everyone. Save your outrage for things he actually does. You are crying wolf about every tweet. If he slowly does stupid things, you are going to have people tune you out like a frog that slowly boils alive.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Here is an example. The Right loves to believe that minorities are given passes in life because they are minorities. He could believe that they are being PC because they are taking it easy on these groups, which make up the vast majority of violent criminals in Chicago. That is speculation but so is your view on his meaning. You are arguing that there is only one possible meaning here and that is incorrect.

You just laid out a rationale for racial profiling in the conduct of law enforcement, which is illegal.

Anyway the only reason he really said what he did was because he saw Rahm on Fox News and lost his shit because he's a manchild with poor impulse control.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You just laid out a rationale for racial profiling in the conduct of law enforcement, which is illegal.

Are you okay? Saying that Trump might incorrectly believe that violence is high because minorities are given passes would not lead to racial profiling. If cops are staying away from places because the area is mostly made up of minorities, and then they start going into those places would not be racial profiling. It would be police policing all areas equally and not avoiding places.

Anyway the only really he really said what he did was because he saw Rahm on Fox News and lost his shit because he's a manchild with poor impulse control.

Thats more reasonable. I doubt Trump likes someone taking his spotlight.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Are you okay? Saying that Trump might incorrectly believe that violence is high because minorities are given passes would not lead to racial profiling. If cops are staying away from places because the area is mostly made up of minorities, and then they start going into those places would not be racial profiling. It would be police policing all areas equally and not avoiding places.

Uneven enforcement based on race qualifies as profiling.

Thats more reasonable. I doubt Trump likes someone taking his spotlight.

He is incapable of shrugging off any criticism, especially when it's on TV.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Uneven enforcement based on race qualifies as profiling.

I am not sure if you are okay. You realize the hypothetical I set us is that they are not currently enforcing equally right? His argument would be that minorities are not being policed and his feds would make the police enforce equally.

He is incapable of shrugging off any criticism, especially when it's on TV.

Okay, I think we have been in agreement but that has nothing to do with the main point. Trump is an idiot, but as of yet you cannot say there is only one way to view his actions.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I am not sure if you are okay. You realize the hypothetical I set us is that they are not currently enforcing equally right? His argument would be that minorities are not being policed and his feds would make the police enforce equally.

The DOJ report agreed that they are not enforcing equally, just in the opposite direction of your theory.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Which is why I said he would incorrectly believe...

Are you reading what I write?

If he directs federal agents on the basis of that belief it would, which appears to be his meaning.

I'm good on this now since we clearly aren't going to come to agreement.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If he directs federal agents on the basis of that belief it would, which appears to be his meaning.

I'm good on this now since we clearly aren't going to come to agreement.

Directing the FBI to look into equality of policing would not. You are assuming his agents are there to replace police.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
He's proposed stop and frisk nationwide, profiling, and chided companies for not opening their encryption to authorities (part of the "close up the internet talk").

That's also just the tip of the iceberg of blatantly unconstitutional things he's proposed.

Stop and frisk is not unconstitutional but implementing it incorrectly is.

Reactions: AHamick

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This is more than flirting with "abuse of power" territory.

Trump will grab that by the pussy.

Look, my point is this... Trump is very likely to do dumb shit. It does not mean that he has signaled he wants to invade Chicago. His tweet does not show anything yet. Slow down and call his BS as it happens.

The tax on mexico and this wall BS is far worse and we should really be on that, not this Chicago thing.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Again, it can be read in far more ways. Ill grant you he could want those things, but he could also be talking about a lot more. You saying its the only conclusion you can see must mean you are blind.

You are sounding just like the guys on the Right that think the government is out to take their freedom away. I would agree that Trump is far more likely to do it compared to someone like Obama, but until we see something specific you are speculating.

Realize that I'm not saying Trump is a nice guy who just wants hugs for everyone. Save your outrage for things he actually does. You are crying wolf about every tweet. If he slowly does stupid things, you are going to have people tune you out like a frog that slowly boils alive.

"He's not authoritarian because he might be stopped from doing authoritarian shit he says he wants to do by the law, or there's some charitable completely out of character interpretation that might not be illegal" --conservative apologist looking for any excuse to blame this on leftards

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
We have had more shootings in my hood, two of them today. The community is going to protest and they have also called a meeting with the police and alderman. Chicago ave is a bit of a shooting gallery at this point.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In political philosophy, the phrase consent of the governed refers to the idea that a government's legitimacy and moral right to use state power is only justified and legal when consented to by the people or society over which that political power is exercised. This theory of consent is historically contrasted to the divine right of kings and has often been invoked against the legitimacy of colonialism. Article 21 of the United Nation's 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that "The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government".

Comitatus Act is a United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) signed on June 18, 1878 by PresidentRutherford B. Hayes. The purpose of the act – in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807 – is to limit the powers of the federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce domestic policies within the United States. It was passed as an amendment to an army appropriation bill following the end of Reconstruction, and was subsequently updated in 1956 and 1981.

"Ohio"

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are cutting us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
We have had more shootings in my hood, two of them today. The community is going to protest and they have also called a meeting with the police and alderman. Chicago ave is a bit of a shooting gallery at this point.
Depending on how far West on Chicago Ave you are it's extremely bad. Chicago Ave runs straight through the worst neighborhoods on the west side.

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
Depending on how far West on Chicago Ave you are it's extremely bad. Chicago Ave runs straight through the worst neighborhoods on the west side.

I'm good in tha hood till i.....

But anyway not too far West I live near chicago ave/damen. I worked in humboldt for 4 years tho. The community had their meeting, not sure what came of it.