Trump wants a 20% tariff on Mexico to pay for the Wall

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
A tariff is not Mexico paying for the wall. It's American consumers paying for the wall through higher prices on goods.
Glad you noticed. Anyone want to guess quantity of manufacturing from American Companies owing factories on Mexican soil and if the tariff will hit them too?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Everyone's capable of taking another's life, usually impulse control steps in before that happens, though. That control could be due to repercussions, moral reasons, discipline, or whatever else. Some don't have that impulse control (schizophrenics), and some have a weapon that makes you capable of acting before said impulse control kicks in.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
Bush administration used to shoot them, however, after Katrina disaster he started to hire them through greedy contractors to clean the mess.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
So the wall will get paid for by what will end up being a regressive tax? How conservative.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Having possibilities come into your mind is different than having the urge to do something. Are you saying its cathartic to think about murdering someone, or just that one of many thoughts pop into your mind?
It's "Fuck I want to kill this guy."

I am not a shrink so I don't know what you are looking for.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Ok, so GM sells cars to a dealer and the dealer sells to someone who runs through a crowd. Sue GM for selling to the dealer. Doesn't work.

I get what you are trying to say, but I think that analogy is a bit too simple; it isn't really the equivalent of illegal gun distribution. And cars are far more regulated than guns. Just look at safety regulations and drivers licenses.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-trade-war-with-mexico-and-china-2017-1

It's going to get ugly. In the end, Trump is going to have to pick either the business side or the people who put him in office. Business leaders need free trade to be profitable. They need open borders. On the other side, he has his supporters who want closed borders, closed markets and the destruction of the status quo.

It's gonna be a long 4 years.

His supporters want the yewstabees. Little do they realize that Trump & the Repubs want it like it yewstabee circa 1894.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
A tariff is not Mexico paying for the wall. It's American consumers paying for the wall through higher prices on goods.

Partially. The tariff also has the affect of Americans buying less of that product... Which hurts Mexico. It is a no win for both sides. That said, China gets away with it.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
Partially. The tariff also has the affect of Americans buying less of that product... Which hurts Mexico. It is a no win for both sides. That said, China gets away with it.

So the net effects are:

1) Mexican businesses lose out a bit, as do American consumers
2) Mexico still doesn't pay for the wall
3) Americans pay for the wall and the tariff on imports

How is this seen as acceptable? It's a knee jerk reaction from a manchild who can't get his way on a stupid promise he, himself, made.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
So the net effects are:

1) Mexican businesses lose out a bit, as do American consumers
2) Mexico still doesn't pay for the wall
3) Americans pay for the wall and the tariff on imports

How is this seen as acceptable? It's a knee jerk reaction from a manchild who can't get his way on a stupid promise he, himself, made.

Correct, we're paying for this crap (if indeed the tariff plan goes through). A tax on US consumers without calling it one.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, I honestly think that while there are some valid complaints about the sheer size and scope of Mexican migration to the USA in recent decades, like, for the most part they are hard working and they more or less play by natural rules. Not perfectly, but business is business and everyone cuts corners in actuality without malice or evil intent. Which means that this anti-Mexican populism isn't especially legitimate IMO. I'm more with George W. Bush regarding Mexicans.