Trump want to open Tyson meat plant in Waterloo IA that caused 90% of the town's COVID-19 cases

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Enjoy your burger you ghouls.

it’s no big deal just put them back on the line because we need our meat. Over 300 cases and 8 deaths so far in one meat packing plant in Greeley, CO.

Have any members here calling for blue collar workers to get back to work for shit wages stepped into their shoes and taken on the risks they face?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Guys this is simple, he thinks the bad economy will sink him, not COVID deaths. If killing more people will help the economy he is 100% on board. He also seems to realize he’s losing the election so he will take on greater and greater risk to the country to win because the downside doesn’t matter to him

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Guys this is simple, he thinks the bad economy will sink him, not COVID deaths. If killing more people will help the economy he is 100% on board. He also seems to realize he’s losing the election so he will take on greater and greater risk to the country to win because the downside doesn’t matter to him

What he doesn't realize is that there is no way to resurrect this economy in time for the election. We can end the restrictions today, everywhere, and the economy will still be a shambles in November. And to make matters worse, his own party is blocking further attempts at stimulus.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What he doesn't realize is that there is no way to resurrect this economy in time for the election. We can end the restrictions today, everywhere, and the economy will still be a shambles in November. And to make matters worse, his own party is blocking further attempts at stimulus.
I disagree. I think it is UNLIKELY that the economy can get back to where it was by the election but it isn’t impossible.

What I’m saying is from his perspective it doesn’t matter. If the economy doesn’t come back he loses and losing is indictment and death. Therefore he’s free to take every risk possible.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Probably saw the report that some are making more off unemployment than they were getting paid. Can't have that! Government can't undercut demand for labor!

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I disagree. I think it is UNLIKELY that the economy can get back to where it was by the election but it isn’t impossible.

What I’m saying is from his perspective it doesn’t matter. If the economy doesn’t come back he loses and losing is indictment and death. Therefore he’s free to take every risk possible.

I'd be surprised if you can find an economist to back a projection that the economy experiences full recovery to pre-COVID January by then, given that the virus is not going away and will continue to depress consumer spending through voluntary fear-based social distancing. In fact, I doubt the economy would fully recover by then even if the virus went away today, because I've never seen nor heard of a recovery that fast.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'd be surprised if you can find an economist to back a projection that the economy experiences full recovery to pre-COVID January by then, given that the virus is not going away and will continue to depress consumer spending through voluntary fear-based social distancing. In fact, I doubt the economy would fully recover by then even if the virus went away today, because I've never seen nor heard of a recovery that fast.

I generally agree but something I saw today made a good point. The Q3 evaluation will be made 5 days before the election and after such an enormous contraction its likely to see a major rebound so we are likely to see ‘ECONOMIC EXPLOSION’ headlines despite the fact that the economy will be smaller than in March. We should consider that.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Don't discount the likelihood of a second wave being in full force by November. More likely this contraction seems like hiccup in comparison.

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I generally agree but something I saw today made a good point. The Q3 evaluation will be made 5 days before the election and after such an enormous contraction its likely to see a major rebound so we are likely to see ‘ECONOMIC EXPLOSION’ headlines despite the fact that the economy will be smaller than in March. We should consider that.

OK, that's not really recovery, but I do see your point. It's something Trump can exploit. My thinking is that the likelihood of that happening is going to depend on the status of the pandemic at that time. If we're in another big wave, I don't see much recovery happening around election time. If not, maybe so.

But that goes back to my point. Trump thinks it's just the restrictions which are damaging the economy. He doesn't see that it's the virus, and that if he doesn't tend to it properly, he's going to have a worse economic situation in November.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Don't discount the likelihood of a second wave being in full force by November. More likely this contraction seems like hiccup in comparison.

Shee-it. The first wave has only begun. We just put a flat spot on the curve, time shifted it into the future, which is now. The horrifying power of this pandemic will be on us rather shortly.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Shee-it. The first wave has only begun. We just put a flat spot on the curve, time shifted it into the future, which is now. The horrifying power of this pandemic will be on us rather shortly.

Yea, I thought the same. I think the fall is going to be very bad. I live at the shore, and I've seen so many tourist who are coming to our shore in droves without a care. In large groups. Not wearing masks. Not taking this seriously. It will be our downfall no doubt.