Discussion Trump voters have made a deal with Trump - so how do you win elections?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Have you seen the charts in state after state democrats won the majority of the vote yet GOP maintained majority of seats? Clearly with Republicans rigging the vote, winning elections means nothing.

Republicans get power in states and move to disenfranchise minorities and people of color. And before you dismiss what I just said go back and read the numerous court cases where Republican were caught racially rigging voting rules. Republicans also trying to rig the census to keep white people in power. This is from the notes of the now dead Republican operative who hatched the plan.
https://www.salon.com/2019/06/07/go...-pushed-census-question-aimed-to-help-whites/
Howard Dean understood the need for a ground game and how necessary it is to win local elections, state legislatures and governor’s mansions. For whatever reason, the Democrats veered away from a working strategy.

You are lamenting that a political party is actively working to remain in power while completely ignoring the chain of events that allowed them to do so.

Also, we do not live in a country of majority rule, so the popular vote, while a useful safety blanket, is irrelevant.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
And there is a similar push to tip the scales towards a popular vote allocation, something the Founding Fathers architected against by design.

Funny how that worked out-

TMW2016-12-07color.png

Every system of democracy has its flaws & the GOP intends to exploit all they can identify. They serve the interests of the financial elite at the expense of their well propagandized constituents.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
It's always hilarious to listen to the losers make excuses for why they continually lose.

Not nearly as hilarious as you having to wake up in a 4th world shithole each afternoon knowing you'll never see a fireworks display such as the glorious one we just had...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Howard Dean understood the need for a ground game and how necessary it is to win local elections, state legislatures and governor’s mansions. For whatever reason, the Democrats veered away from a working strategy.

You are lamenting that a political party is actively working to remain in power while completely ignoring the chain of events that allowed them to do so.

Also, we do not live in a country of majority rule, so the popular vote, while a useful safety blanket, is irrelevant.
Staying in power advocating for policies people want vs staying in power by rigging the vote.

Two different things. Wonder which one is the bad one?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Staying in power advocating for policies people want vs staying in power by rigging the vote.

You would have a point if the Democrat’s hands were clean of gerrymandering.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
which have violated the voting rights act, exactly?
Violating the VRA is irrelevant when your only concern is the BothSidesDoIt™ talking point that enables right-wing authoritarians to get what they want.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The feigned helplessness of the conservative court majority tells us who favors gerrymandering & who doesn't.

Expect massive cornholio in states where the GOP has a state govt trifecta & no independent commission. They'll lock in minority rule if they can. The tools to do so are likely much more potent than 10 years ago. The concept of fair play is foreign to the modern GOP.

https://ballotpedia.org/Gubernatorial_and_legislative_party_control_of_state_government

I doubt Dems will approach it with the same sort of partisan vengeance.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
which have violated the voting rights act, exactly?
Maryland is right up there with North Carolina for its partisan gerrymandering, and a fair number of blue states have absurd and archaic absentee ballot requirements that suppress the overseas military vote.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Its no surprise that our resident, "both sides" bitch, ignores scale of the differences between the two parties with regards to gerrymandering.

Here is an article detailing a study it did that can give us a better picture of how bad/extreme the Republicans have become.

https://www.azavea.com/blog/2017/07/19/gerrymandered-states-ranked-efficiency-gap-seat-advantage/

A one seat advantage is one thing but Republicans have taken it to the next level.

seat_advantage_graphic_final-768x584.png

It should also be noted that several "blue states" have implemented bipartisan or non partisan methods for redistricting (see green colored states) now as opposed to cementing their power.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting_commission

1562561387907.png

Reactions: nickqt and Pohemi

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Its no surprise that our resident, "both sides" bitch, ignores scale of the differences between the two parties with regards to gerrymandering.

Here is an article detailing a study it did that can give us a better picture of how bad/extreme the Republicans have become.

https://www.azavea.com/blog/2017/07/19/gerrymandered-states-ranked-efficiency-gap-seat-advantage/

A one seat advantage is one thing but Republicans have taken it to the next level.

seat_advantage_graphic_final-768x584.png

It should also be noted that several "blue states" have implemented bipartisan or non partisan methods for redistricting (see green colored states) now as opposed to cementing their power.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting_commission

View attachment 8140
And the resident waterboy bitch misrepresents data. I see California, Hawaii, Washington and New Jersey as marked in green. “Several”.

Also, even “non-partisan” committees sometimes result in the mapping of districts to help solidify the power of incumbents, as is the case in Washington.

And in California, due to their jungle primary system, Democrats have run ads to support fringe Republican candidates to dilude the playing field, which is simply a variation of gerrymandering. See also the 38th district in Los Angeles. Independent commissions do not always balance cities, counties and neighborhoods with racial, incumbency or political considerations.

Republicans have taken it to the next level to solidify their power in some states, but as I said previously, the Democrats do not have clean hands.

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
And the resident waterboy misrepresents data. I see California, Hawaii, Washington and New Jersey as marked in green. “Several”.

lol. Last I checked, a count of four was included in the range of 'several'. Who is misrepresenting what here?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Aw, the poor little "both sides" bitch cant handle being schooled.

The point, you intellectually lazy bitch, was that the trend on the Democrat side was to move towards an un rigged system where as Republicans have not.

And lol at claiming running ads for an opponent is a form of gerrymandering. Fuck you!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Aw, the poor little "both sides" bitch cant handle being schooled.

The point, you intellectually lazy bitch, was that the trend on the Democrat side was to move towards an un rigged system where as Republicans have not.

And lol at claiming running ads for an opponent is a form of gerrymandering. Fuck you!
To claim the hill you need to take it, waterboy. I love it when the teacher talks dirty.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
He inflated the number and the waterboy semantics game begins.

No, he didn't. You are imagining being slighted by misrepresentation that did not occur. He stated several. Four is several. Stop with the pathetically weak and pointless duh-version.

Reactions: umbrella39

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
No, he didn't. You are imagining being slighted by misrepresentation that did not occur. He stated several. Four is several. Stop with the pathetically weak and pointless duh-version.

American Slang for Numbers

a couple = 2
a few = 3
several = 4
a handful = 5 maybe more
a bunch = 10 or so
a shit ton = as many as you can possibly carry and hurry your ass up with them.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Fine, he provided “several” (four). I challenged two of the four with a “plethora” of inconvenient facts (WA and CA), mostly because I’ve lived in both states so I am a bit more in tune with the local politics shenanigans that break the narrative.

I can’t speak to Hawaii, and New Jersey has plenty of other problems when it comes to political tribalism...Bob Menendez comes to mind.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

The bad one is whichever ends up with Dems in power.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I provided 12 parsecs of counterpoints and you still want to argue about semantics?

Aka, I was wrong about "several" and want to forget I said anything about it.

Dems aren't perfect, so it's cool if GOP just goes and shows Dems how it's REALLY done, cuz lol both sides.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Maryland is right up there with North Carolina for its partisan gerrymandering, and a fair number of blue states have absurd and archaic absentee ballot requirements that suppress the overseas military vote.

Nobody here has defended the Maryland gerrymander. It seems highly likely that some red states also have archaic absentee voter rules, leftovers from the past that were not created to favor current partisanship. You obviously can't prove intent by any of them. There are only about 1.3M active service members, anyway.