Discussion Trump voters have made a deal with Trump - so how do you win elections?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
It is quite obvious by now with Mitch McConnel blocking and stealing a SCOTUS seat that Trump voters have made a deal that they want the SCOTUS above anything else and no other issues matter.

It doesn't matter how much of a minority they are or they get, they will always win elections because of SCOTUS and it's legally protecting gerrymandering.

To be honest I don't see a single Trump voter not voting for Trump this time around unless they died. So how do you win elections? Can you even win elections?

Reactions: nickqt and Burpo

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It is quite obvious by now with Mitch McConnel blocking and stealing a SCOTUS seat that Trump voters have made a deal that they want the SCOTUS above anything else and no other issues matter.

It doesn't matter how much of a minority they are or they get, they will always win elections because of SCOTUS and it's legally protecting gerrymandering.

To be honest I don't see a single Trump voter not voting for Trump this time around unless they died. So how do you win elections? Can you even win elections?
There's a lot of 'heartland' parts of middle America that are full of farmers currently getting bent over the barrel due to Trump's escapades. If a candidate can capitalize on that rather than parading through the accepted safe spaces of their constituents (let's be honest, 90% of city populations hate trump) that'd be a good way to yank a lot of pissed off Republicans over, even for one election cycle.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

You’re theory completely neglects the fact that the conservative members of SCOTUS, even in majority, never enact the judicial apocalypse often feared and cited by liberals. RGB just released a statement praising Kavanaugh for appointing all female clerks.

Wolf!

Reactions: Challenger

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You’re theory completely neglects the fact that the conservative members of SCOTUS, even in majority, never enact the judicial apocalypse often feared and cited by liberals. RGB just released a statement praising Kavanaugh for appointing all female clerks.

Wolf!

Yes but she, breyer and sotomayor are easily replaceable by Trump in a 2nd term, and that'd leave a 8-1 Trumpian majority.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Yes but she, breyer and sotomayor are easily replaceable by Trump in a 2nd term, and that'd leave a 8-1 Trumpian majority.
Elections have consequences. A lot of “what-ifs” in that scenario. If Trump is able to win a second term, I don’t know what to say.

Reactions: simpletron

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
would help if:
-running a better/ at least a smarter more likable candidate than Hillary Clinton. If you think about it.. a guy like Trump should have been very easy to beat. That being said .. I voted for Trump and if today was election day, I would vote for him again.. for me, the economy/jobs were an issue of highest priority and whether you like it or not Trump has delivered. I can live with some of the stupid things he says... just doesn't bother me as much as it does others

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Wolf!

Bullshit. Kavanaugh's choice of clerks has nothing to do with the Court's feigned helplessness wrt gerrymandering. For Republicans in places where they control the state govt it's basically a rape license.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
would help if:
-running a better/ at least a smarter more likable candidate than Hillary Clinton. If you think about it.. a guy like Trump should have been very easy to beat. That being said .. I voted for Trump and if today was election day, I would vote for him again.. for me, the economy/jobs were an issue of highest priority and whether you like it or not Trump has delivered. I can live with some of the stupid things he says... just doesn't bother me as much as it does others
Your insistence on a candidate being 'likable' proves that you will be snowed by the next silver-tongued shitbird that struts past your gaze. Your lack of thought is distressing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Elections have consequences. A lot of “what-ifs” in that scenario. If Trump is able to win a second term, I don’t know what to say.

Excusing the blatantly partisan action of the conservative court majority will only help him do that.

Reactions: umbrella39

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The only way to best trump is to get out the vote. Democrats should be working on a get out the vote campaign immediately.

Trump supporters and those who would vote for trump are a minority, a minority that actually votes. If people don't participate then there is nothing that can be done.

Reactions: tweaker2

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
That being said .. I voted for Trump and if today was election day, I would vote for him again.. for me, the economy/jobs were an issue of highest priority and whether you like it or not Trump has delivered. I can live with some of the stupid things he says... just doesn't bother me as much as it does others

Proving my point in OP perfectly.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
WTF is the OP talking about?

Democrats won the election in 2018. The very THING that can be gerrymandered is in Democrat control. Ergo, if there is some negative impact to it all, it is negligible.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Excusing the blatantly partisan action of the conservative court majority will only help him do that.
What decisions do you find blatantly partisan? If anything, the conservative majority has yet to hand Trump anything resembling a judicial victory.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Democrats won the election in 2018. The very THING that can be gerrymandered is in Democrat control. Ergo, if there is some negative impact to it all, it is negligible.

Look at the scotus decision. Do you really think they won't gerrymander more come 2020?

But my point is more about SCOTUS putting its hand on elections in the future like bush v gore.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

You make it sound as though it were a single election, in a single place. Those gerrymandering cases ended up at the SCOTUS because of past (although recent) actions of GOP state legislatures. Those states are still fucked, and now those state level governments have open season.

Reactions: umbrella39

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
Proving my point in OP perfectly.

I dont know if it proves your point... but I tend to agree with your point... I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump gets re- elected . I was very surprised he won in 16

For the most part, people who voted for Trump probably like the job hes doing... Just like those who voted for Obama like the job he did .. so, he got re-elected

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
...I voted for Trump and if today was election day, I would vote for him again.. for me, the economy/jobs were an issue of highest priority and whether you like it or not Trump has delivered. I can live with some of the stupid things he says... just doesn't bother me as much as it does others

So all the other shit he's done and is doing can be given a pass, because he takes credit for an economy that was already on an upslope when Obama left office. Gotchya. Single issue voters... /sigh

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Get 100k more voters out in the key places that he squeaked by in last time?
I disagree with your theory though, IMO there are definitely some Trump voters that could vote the other way. Not a large swath, but some.
I dont know if it proves your point... but I tend to agree with your point... I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump gets re- elected . I was very surprised he won in 16

For the most part, people who voted for Trump probably like the job hes doing... Just like those who voted for Obama like the job he did .. so, he got re-elected
The main thing they enjoy is that he's making liberals angry, and that's really the most important thing. Sticking it to the other side.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
would help if:
-running a better/ at least a smarter more likable candidate than Hillary Clinton. If you think about it.. a guy like Trump should have been very easy to beat. That being said .. I voted for Trump and if today was election day, I would vote for him again.. for me, the economy/jobs were an issue of highest priority and whether you like it or not Trump has delivered.
What specific policies from Trump suddenly made the economy boom (I'm not talking about sugar rush tax cuts for short term gains)? Was the economy slumping under Obama?
Has the trade war been a success?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Well for one thing, districts (gerrymandered or not) generally only pertain to local elections. Secondly, gerrymandered districts eventually become obsolete because people move, change their voting patterns, and are generally unpredictable.

Regarding the SCOTUS, if I'd had my way we never would've filled the 9th seat at all, with anyone. Just leave it at 8. The SCOTUS is entirely too powerful, and it's no surprise that every time a justice dies or retires the fate of the universe hangs in the balance. I'd be much happier with 4-4 deadlocks over a 5-person legislature.

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
...The main thing they enjoy is that he's making liberals angry, and that's really the most important thing. Sticking it to the other side.

This. And there are literally millions of voters in the US with this as their biggest motivation.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
What specific policies from Trump suddenly made the economy boom (I'm not talking about sugar rush tax cuts for short term gains)? Was the economy slumping under Obama?

Did you think Trump voters listen to facts? It's all perception.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Well for one thing, districts (gerrymandered or not) generally only pertain to local elections. Secondly, gerrymandered districts eventually become obsolete because people move, change their voting patterns, and are generally unpredictable.

People tend to move more in Urban/ Suburban America but not in Rural America.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
The main thing they enjoy is that he's making liberals angry, and that's really the most important thing. Sticking it to the other side.

This is the most important part of your post.

All of it makes sense if you pretend that Obummer was in the office starting in 2001 and he left office in 2012.

Reactions: tweaker2 and nickqt

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There's a lot of 'heartland' parts of middle America that are full of farmers currently getting bent over the barrel due to Trump's escapades. If a candidate can capitalize on that rather than parading through the accepted safe spaces of their constituents (let's be honest, 90% of city populations hate trump) that'd be a good way to yank a lot of pissed off Republicans over, even for one election cycle.
If I have to choose between getting bent over a barrel and voting Democrat, I'll take the barrel every day and twice on Sunday.