Trump to military 'You’re a bunch of dopes and babies' 'You’re all losers' 'You don’t know how to win anymore.'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I SAID...Kick me in the Jimmy!!!

22avtw.gif
I hated that show but it had its moments.

Reactions: Meghan54

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I didn't say our allies see no benefit, just that I doubt they see a benefit that's consistent with paying dramatically more for US involvement.

South Korea is a rich country and could certainly build nuclear weapons and defend themselves that way if they wanted to. They don't do it because America asked them not to and pledged other protection in exchange. Because of their decision to take US troops instead of nukes the US not only gains powerful bases in the area but exerts a high level of control over all military engagements there.

So when the US asks South Korea to pay up for protecting it when the only reason it needs us for protection is that they did what we asked them to I'm sure one of their primary answers is 'BRB, nukes'. I imagine Japan would say the same. The point in the end is that people in America tend to focus on what we give as part of this arrangement and ignore what we get (and in many cases have demanded).

Assuming SK is 1 inch away from pursuing nuclear weapons. Imo, that is a very big jump in regional escalation and burden on SK.

I'm sure there is space in-between where we are now and nukes.

We should always be looking to move into this space, not just with military power (hard power), but business and cultural influence (soft power.)

IMO, one of Trump's (and the right) greatest weaknesses and mistakes is that he can only think in terms of hard power and do not properly value soft power. This is where China is greatly outplaying us. It's why we are losing Iraq to Iran.

Why should China worry about our presence in a scattering of bases while they are locking up SE Asia and Africa in terms of trade, cultural influence and material supply chains?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's odd. That guy knows how to make enemies. But his supporters (so they tell me) forgive him everything, doesn't matter what it is, because.... Well, because it's easier to support the unsupportable than to have to explain your support of anything if you're incompetent. Incompetence is rife and rampant, folks.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey c'mon guys. I'd just like to remind everyone that Trump went to a military prep school, receiving "more training militarily than a lot of the guys that go into the military."

Checkmate combat vets and Pentagon leadership. Tell it to the bone spurs.
Trump is self-described as loving a fight, i.e. fighting. He's not much good at cooperation, at actually working with folks. He's combative. Look at his tweets (something I try hard not to but can't avoid when I check the news). Combative. it's his m.o. Expect no more because you won't get it.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
“We were starting to get out on the wrong path, and we really needed to have a course correction and needed to educate, to teach, to help him understand the reason and basis for a lot of these things,” said one senior official involved in the planning. “We needed to change how he thinks about this, to course correct. Everybody was on board, 100 percent agreed with that sentiment. [But] they were dismayed and in shock when not only did it not have the intended effect, but he dug in his heels and pushed it even further on the spectrum, further solidifying his views.”
He truly is a reflection of his base.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Assuming SK is 1 inch away from pursuing nuclear weapons. Imo, that is a very big jump in regional escalation and burden on SK.

I'm sure there is space in-between where we are now and nukes.

According to wiki (so take that for what you will) South Korea could have nukes in 1-3 years if they put their minds to it. I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap and I'm sure there is space as you say but the fact that South Korea could rapidly develop a self-defense capability that does not require the US certainly informs the relationship. The more we push them to pay the more the South Korean public asks why they shouldn't just spend that money on nukes instead.

We should always be looking to move into this space, not just with military power (hard power), but business and cultural influence (soft power.)

IMO, one of Trump's (and the right) greatest weaknesses and mistakes is that he can only think in terms of hard power and do not properly value soft power. This is where China is greatly outplaying us. It's why we are losing Iraq to Iran.

Why should China worry about our presence in a scattering of bases while they are locking up SE Asia and Africa in terms of trade, cultural influence and material supply chains?

I'm sure China still worries about our bases but yes a long time ago America realized the best way to make allies was through economic ties. Apparently we forgot that in January 2017.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Saved for the next time a rightwinger complains on how the left does not support the military.

Has anyone from the GOP spoke against his comments yet or are they waiting for their talking points.

My guess is they are too spineless to actually have a brain to speak their mind (or what is right thing to do)

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Saved for the next time a rightwinger complains on how the left does not support the military.

Has anyone from the GOP spoke against his comments yet or are they waiting for their talking points.

My guess is they are too spineless to actually have a brain to speak their mind (or what is right thing to do)

The talking point is this: this was reported by the "liberal media." Either they are lying or the people they are talking to are lying. Trump never said it.

There is no need to ever listen to what they say because we already know what they're going to say before they say it.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
I can't believe I forgot this...

Uh, LIBTARDS, you report this fake news of disrespecting our military... Well, where was the LIBTARD outrage for when Obama disrespected this BRAVE Marine?!

What the fuck is this fucking bullshit?!

RRREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

"Embarrassed by president's salute! So arrogant! #LatteSalute" wrote one user, @EmilyDickerson, on Twitter. "As an Iraq vet, seeing OB's #LatteSalutemakes me sick! He repeatedly show disrespect to my fellow service members," wrote @GeoKat.

Oh, but Trump's spitting in the face of our Armed forces, over and over again; naw, not a big deal.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
The talking point is this: this was reported by the "liberal media." Either they are lying or the people they are talking to are lying. Trump never said it.

There is no need to ever listen to what they say because we already know what they're going to say before they say it.

Lemme cliff note it for you..

FAKE NEWS

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
In that whole verbal diarrhea that Trump had with the military leaders, one point I do somewhat agree with is that Afghanistan is a loser war. It seems like our idiot leaders at the time went into that region without any understanding of how that region works nor the fact that we can't "win" a war in that area. History repeats itself and Russia, who is a much more ruthless country than we are, couldn't win in Afghanistan. Once Obama was in office, we should've fully pulled out of both Iraq and Afghanistan. Personally, we should be out of the Middle East entirely since no one there is our ally but because of the $$$ being made instagibbing Muslims, we're still there. We need to leave that area entirely and shift the funds going to the military because of that region into something more important, like education, infrastructure, health care, etc.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
The idea that the US is some rube getting soaked by other countries for their national defense is extremely naive. We are there for our purposes, not theirs.

Let's not pretend it's everyone's interest in the US. Bolton said he'd rather spend on stupid wars and the military than domestic expenditures even if it's just shitty outcomes in the ME. There are people like that in both the military and politics. Republicans also benefit massively from the nationalism and jingoism that comes from it. Then we have the problem of the military-industrial complex of course.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Hilarity would be if South Korea gives us the boot and stops subsidizing the US defense industry.
Too bad Japan doesn't give us the boot as well.

Imagine if every country told the US "No thanks"?
Probably see the Navy finally getting some love and actual seat at the table after 40 years of aimless wandering as everyone's bitch.

However, if all those countries decide to flip the bird to US arms manufacturers we'd get to see out defense industry collapse
WTF?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
It was a drive by post and I can understand the "WTF". I could actually have a serious conversation on this if you are up to it. Too much exposure to the trump supporters on this place has led me not putting effort into a lot of discussions nowadays since the Trump supporters still left on this Forum are way off the deepend. Unworthy of even serious response. (I highly promote the ignore function)
My position boils down to this.
The United States can afford all these shiney new toys because of the intricacies of our role as the worlds leading ARMs dealer.
The United States also benefits from our bases overseas as that puts eyes and ears close to China and Russia. we don't give a rats ass about protecting SK from NK. we care about strategic positioning in regards to our actual competitors.
Placing systems in SK, whether its mssile defense or listening post gives us early warning in case china threatens our assets in that entire hemisphere.
A detection network in South Korea provides us a base of operations for all sorts of networks.
Okinawa is nice jumping off point for all sort of our military endeavors.

For Trump, his staff as well as his supporters to treat these relationships as some sort of one sided "The United States is your security guard" is simplistic, childish retard speak that I have no patience for.
when I say "Hillarity would be..." its the let the children get the outcome they deserve so that the reality of why we have these relationships around the world and they benefits they provide can be exposed.
As for my comment on the US Navy.
Navy and the Defense department need to get their shit together. All these stupid land bases have resulted in our Navy not really seeing the attention it deserves from a planning and doctrine perspective.

Respectfully....

Last edited:

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
That article makes for hilarious reading.

It's like a real version of the 'gorilla channel' spoof thing that was written a couple of years ago.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Trump is self-described as loving a fight, i.e. fighting. He's not much good at cooperation, at actually working with folks. He's combative. Look at his tweets (something I try hard not to but can't avoid when I check the news). Combative. it's his m.o. Expect no more because you won't get it.

Oh I expect very little from this traitor, care even less for his self-descriptions, but more to the point you don't have to be good at cooperation to not insult the people you claim to admire and support like no other.

For a CiC to speak like that to the ranks is awful. That it also comes from an entitled, bloated, private school attending, draft dodgin POS chickenhawk? Ugh. Leave it to repug governance to do a number on our recruitment quotas, just like with Cheney and Bush.

Reactions: Pohemi

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
One unmistakable pattern that's plainly visible in this administration is that many of Trump's aides have remained on the job far longer than they wanted to, forced to make choices they never imagined they'd have to, trying to be the guardrails against this president's impulsiveness and corruption.

From Sessions to Mattis, to Cohn, to McMaster, to Kelly, to Tillerson and so on...They agreed to join the administration because they believed that they could find a way to make meaningful contributions - not necessarily to their country as a whole, but to their cause at least. In each case, they all wore out their welcome because there was ultimately a moment at which they realized they were asked to live and work for a bully like mob boss/con man in the realm of the absurd. In every case, this pattern has played itself out over and over and over again. It's pretty obvious to those paying attention how this White House operates.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Does he have the right vague concepts? If you’re referring to US overseas deployments he’s clearly fine with them, he just thinks other countries should be paying us protection money like a mob outfit.

Yep sending 3500 soldiers to guard KSA oil fields was totally cool because they were paying Trump. No word on who would pay if they were injured/killed in the line of duty.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
There was Admiral James Stavridis former NATO Supreme Allied Commander, commenting on president bonespurs,
who told these Generals in 2017, "I wouldn't go to war with you people", when he wouldn't go to war all because of bonespurs.

Jun 18, 2000
I could see Trump's supporters lapping this shit up. You think they care he critized military leaders or heads of state? That's his entire shtick.

Doesn't take a lot of gymnastics to think boots on the ground will praise him for slamming the generals that "tie their hands" from winning the war. Not like it's a narrative we haven't heard before.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump groups everyone into four groups:

1. Donald Trump: the great central figure of the universe

2. People who are useful to Donald Trump: they're good

3. People who cause problems for Donald Trump; "I don't know them and never met them - somebody should remove them.

4. People who are neither good or bad for Donald Trump: these people don't matter

The only "group" Donald Trump does things for is the first one. He doesn't do things for people in the second group; they exist to do things for him. And if they stop being useful to him, like by getting arrested while committing a crime for him, they immediately drop down to the third or fourth group.

You could work loyally for Trump for forty years and then one day you'd need a small favor. And it would never occur to him to give you the favor, even if it cost him nothing. Because giving you a favor would not benefit him and benefiting himself is the only motivation he has.

Trump in - The Art of the Deal : "If anyone is happy besides me, the deal failed because I must have left something on the table"

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I can't believe I forgot this...

Uh, LIBTARDS, you report this fake news of disrespecting our military... Well, where was the LIBTARD outrage for when Obama disrespected this BRAVE Marine?!

What the fuck is this fucking bullshit?!

RRREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Oh, but Trump's spitting in the face of our Armed forces, over and over again; naw, not a big deal.
Trump disrespecting the military is fake?? Let me clue what's left of your brain in.

Trump is the guy who...

Trashed gold star families. In case your ignorance overwhelms, these are families who lost a loved one in service.

Trashed a POW for being captured.

Now, tell me again who disrespects military?