Trump threatens to pull federal funding for California wildfires over 'gross mismanagement'

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This idiots ill informed tweets are starting to really piss people off...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/11/politics/california-wildfires-trump-tweets/index.html

People are dying and all he can think of is pissing on the state. And to make matters worse, he doesn't even know what he's talking about. Neither of the fires has anything to do with forest management.

"His comments are reckless and insulting to the firefighters and people being affected," said Harold Schaitberger, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters
The president of the California Professional Firefighters said the message is an attack on some of the people fighting the devastating fires.

"The President's message attacking California and threatening to withhold aid to the victims of the cataclysmic fires is ill-informed, ill-timed and demeaning to those who are suffering as well as the men and women on the front lines," Brian K. Rice said.

"In my view, this shameful attack on California is an attack on all our courageous men and women on the front lines."

He probably thinks Cali doesn't pay its fair share. Any state or country he doesn't like doesn't pay their fair share, in his mind. Reality has no foothold inside that brain.

The knell of doom is that this is a credible opinion of the state of mind (such as it is) of a bit less than half the electorate today.
And they're encouraged to be that way because it's profitable for those who exploit them.

Reactions: Muse

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Some pearls of wisdom from the Wallace interview:

The president said he had seen the firemen at work and saw them raking under trees near the flames of the fires. Trump said that had the areas around the trees been raked out earlier, there would have been no fire burning.

He probably thinks that that’s what forest management is - raking up the grounds beneath the trees. This idiot is not talking about creating defensible space (as the Fire Fighters were doing). He's talking about raking the forest. LMAO. I'm sure he's never been any further into a forest than a mowed law will take him.

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Some pearls of wisdom from the Wallace interview:

The president said he had seen the firemen at work and saw them raking under trees near the flames of the fires. Trump said that had the areas around the trees been raked out earlier, there would have been no fire burning.

He probably thinks that that’s what forest management is - raking up the grounds beneath the trees. This idiot is not talking about creating defensible space (as the Fire Fighters were doing). He's talking about raking the forest. LMAO. I'm sure he's never been any further into a forest than a mowed law will take him.
This Pres's chief function is to legitimatize stupidity. Plenty of Americans are all too onboard with that. So many incompetent people, they will celebrate the opportunity to revel in their camaraderie.

Read the piece in the link... Trump's a bloody nitwit.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
That's incorrect. Forest fires are a natural event, but we put them out as soon as possible and don't manage the fuel load. That's the error. Fuel loads increase dramatically, and when a fire does occur it's a great deal more difficult to put out. Years of that along with high winds and we end up with a firestorm. This is forest management 101.
About twenty miles from me there is a state park that's heavily wooded, I drive through it three or for times a week. Last year they spent months clearing brush and dead wood, along with creating fire breaks. When that area burns, the fire fighters will have a much better chance of controlling the blaze.

Again, it seems to me that your defending a position because it opposes Trump, rather than looking at the actual information. Take Trump out of the discussion, he says plenty of stupid things to be angry about, and in this case one of the stupid thing he said has a grain of truth to it. We need to manage our forests better to reduce the number of devastating wild fires. That isn't a political position, it isn't supporting Trump, it's very basic planing and disaster mitigation.

Uh huh..

[URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/Viper1j/media/Hold%20my%20beer.jpg.html][/URL]

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
well over 70 dead. yesterday we had 600 missing. today the number is 1000. My buddy lost his house.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
well over 70 dead. yesterday we had 600 missing. today the number is 1000. My buddy lost his house.
It's an almost unbelievable disaster. Last I heard was just under ten thousand structures burned. I can't imagine what the final death toll will be, almost certainly in the hundreds.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Orange man bad, I get it. Trump is at fault because he didn't issue an executive order halting climate change. Probably ordered to ignore the problem by Putin.
Are we happy now? Can we discuss just one topic without bringing our bonehead leader into it?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Orange man bad, I get it. Trump is at fault because he didn't issue an executive order halting climate change. Probably ordered to ignore the problem by Putin.
Are we happy now? Can we discuss just one topic without bringing our bonehead leader into it?

can your bonehead leader not inject himself in every topic?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

He DID issue an executive order, rolling back protections for air and water, in addition to pulling out of the Paris Climate Accords. In addition to rolling back environmental protections for coal mines.

Yes, the wildfires can be pretty much laid right on his orange skin.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Donnie Does not know what the hell he's talking about. in other words, more of the same.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Trump injected himself & his disinformation into the situation, hence the thread title.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bonehead leader prefers to be in the conversation, it's his m.o. even if he doesn't know diddly about the issues.

It's not a question of him making an executive order. He's poo pooed climate change all along. Grudgingly admits it might have a "little" effect, at best. Forest management, he says. Well, duh, more than 1/2 the forested land in CA is federal owned. The Camp Fire started on federally owned property. It was their responsibility ot manage that land, not CA. He blamed CA for it, threatened to withhold federal funds because of that. Then it was days before he relented and pledged federal assistance. Meantime, people were dieing, houses burning, it was just apocalyptic. Just bonehead, he shot from the hip and didn't know what he was talking about. Orange man again. And again. It doesn't stop. His words yesterday, I saw some on the news. He's a big, old, white, rich father, patting his children on the head (his base), telling them it will be OK, with proper forest management we will have no more wildfire catastrophes. Yes, he said that. Fuckin' idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Bonehead leader prefers to be in the conversation, it's his m.o. even if he doesn't know diddly about the issues.

It's not a question of him making an executive order. He's poo pooed climate change all along. Grudgingly admits it might have a "little" effect, at best. Forest management, he says. Well, duh, more than 1/2 the forested land in CA is federal owned. The Camp Fire started on federally owned property. It was their responsibility ot manage that land, not CA. He blamed CA for it, threatened to withhold federal funds because of that. Then it was days before he relented and pledged federal assistance. Meantime, people were dieing, houses burning, it was just apocalyptic. Just bonehead, he shot from the hip and didn't know what he was talking about. Orange man again. And again. It doesn't stop. His words yesterday, I saw some on the news. He's a big, old, white, rich father, patting his children on the head (his base), telling them it will be OK, with proper forest management we will have no more wildfire catastrophes. Yes, he said that. Fuckin' idiot.

He actually said, he wanted to put people in the woods to "rake the forest".

If only Mary Trump had swallowed that one load...

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

I still have leaves on the ground and need a new rake.

Home Depot sold out yesterday.

I blame Trump.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Maybe he didn't need to pull back funding for forest management...

I mean, you do know where the buck stops, right? I'm sure that's a phrase you never used during Obama's admin.

Reactions: ivwshane

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I have no doubt tons of things could be done better but it’s silly to criticize people for not doing things they are already doing.

One thing they could do is take more zoning authority away from local governments so they stop rebuilding houses in fire areas.

The ones that burn down are wood structures? If so are they rebuilt in stone?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
1200 missing now. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an event like this where the numbers of missing go up over time.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
We're coming out of an era where man thought that, with the aid of science, he had beat nature.

Then nature changed.

I hope we look again to science for the answer, instead of turning to superstition or faith to save us.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
We're coming out of an era where man thought that, with the aid of science, he had beat nature.

Then nature changed.

I hope we look again to science for the answer, instead of turning to superstition or faith to save us.

trumps tru believers stil wont accept it. We lost a town last year. My other buddy lost his house to mudslides from fires. Its a mess. This is going to happen every year.

so in 2 years i had 1 buddy lose his house to mudslides (that are directly related to fires they just had) - like firefighters cutting through the roof to rescue people type shit.

And this year a buddy lost his house to firestorms.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
1200 missing now. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an event like this where the numbers of missing go up over time.

I think people realize there's a lot of confusion so they wait a few days or a week before reporting anybody missing. We're now 10 days into the Camp Fire. I suspect many of the people reported missing will be found.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thoughts, prayers and rakes for the great state of California.

I cannot believe what I've read and watched over the last week or so. New levels are reached every day.....