Trump threatens to COMPLETELY shut down the bo(a)rder.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yeah right. Illegals will still cross the desert, and BP will still have to rescue them and place them on our side. Whereby they'll be released and given a hearing over a year later. All these actions appear the be Court ordered, therefore I do not believe Trump has any power or authority over its continuation. Whatever he can do with the border will NOT stop the illegal crossings.
In other words, Trump's latest threat is just typical GOP hostage-taking. "Give me what I want or the economy gets it."

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
"Finish" the wall? Gawd, He's all over the place on this. Wall, fence, slats, mostly done, being repaired, working great, not working. Any minute he will say the great wall is almost done and he needs that $5 billion to put up the last section. The one with the beautiful door.

Reactions: Aegeon

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yeah right. Illegals will still cross the desert, and BP will still have to rescue them and place them on our side. Whereby they'll be released and given a hearing over a year later. All these actions appear the be Court ordered, therefore I do not believe Trump has any power or authority over its continuation. Whatever he can do with the border will NOT stop the illegal crossings.

In this case, a Wall is required to prevent that initial chain of custody. To prevent catch and release.

So we'll ignore 51ft ladders next to the 50ft wall.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Gotta love it. Shut down the Mexican border? Go for it, Donnie! Shut down the Canadian border while you're at it. Turn back the ships at sea & the planes in the air. Total lockdown, Maximum Security!

Feel the Freedom!

Reactions: alien42

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I kinda want to see this happen. It would affect us pretty bad too I think, unless he's only shutting down the Mexican one, but it would still be entertaining and I don't think it would last very long. He seems to make lot of blanket threats to do ridiculous stuff like this. Like didn't he say at one point he wanted to shut down the internet? lol.

Sometimes I don't agree with some of the stuff Trudeau is doing but then I just have to look on the other side of the fence to see how much worse it could be lol.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I kinda want to see this happen. It would affect us pretty bad too I think, unless he's only shutting down the Mexican one, but it would still be entertaining and I don't think it would last very long. He seems to make lot of blanket threats to do ridiculous stuff like this. Like didn't he say at one point he wanted to shut down the internet? lol.

Sometimes I don't agree with some of the stuff Trudeau is doing but then I just have to look on the other side of the fence to see how much worse it could be lol.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-wants-shut-internet/

Feb 16, 2005
"A beaded curtain has descended across the continent."

Welcome to trumps america
giphy.gif

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
If the southern border is shut down by the feds can California reopen their portion of it by force? Need help from you legal types out there. The new CA governor elect takes office on January 7. The border probably won't get shut down until after that if ever. So can Newsom, the next governor, who is pretty liberal order the border reopened?

I don't think state police or state marshals would obey him. And the national guard needs presidential approval to activated I believe. So can a governor organize a California armed security and investigative department for protection of the state? Would any CA residents here join it knowing it would be used to confront federal authorities at the border?

And of course I hope Newsom starts such an organization if the border is shut down.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Beware unintended consequences!

Speaking of...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi...rgias-immigration-law-backfires/#5ece1d4c404a

The Law Of Unintended Consequences: Georgia's Immigration Law Backfires

To forgo a repeat of last year, when labor shortages triggered an estimated $140 million in agricultural losses, as crops rotted in the fields, officials in Georgia are now dispatching prisoners to the state’s farms to help harvest fruit and vegetables.

(Slave labor)

The labor shortages, which also have affected the hotel and restaurant industries, are a consequence of Georgia’s immigration enforcement law, HB 87, which was passed last year. As State Rep. Matt Ramsey, one of the bill’s authors, said at the time, “Our goal is … to eliminate incentives for illegal aliens to cross into our state.”

Now he and others are learning: Be careful what you wish for, because you may get more than you bargained for.

Georgia’s law, similar to those in Alabama, Arizona and a few other states, gives police the authority to demand immigration documentation from suspects when they detain them for other possible violations. The law also makes it more difficult for businesses to hire workers and creates harsher punishments for those who employ or harbor illegal immigrants.

The Pew Hispanic Center estimated that some 425,000 illegal immigrants lived in Georgia when the legislation was passed – seventh highest in the nation. Those numbers are now down, as hoped for, but the state’s economy is paying a heavy price.

The dirty secret that everybody knew was that most of the state’s agricultural workers were immigrants, many of them illegal. Some lived in the state; others migrated with the harvest from southern Florida up to New York and back. Some of the former have moved away, while many of the latter are bypassing Georgia. Without them, according to a University of Georgia study, farmers were about 40 percent short of the number of workers they needed to harvest last year’s crop.

Despite high unemployment in the state, most Georgians don’t want such back-breaking jobs, nor do they have the necessary skills. According to Dick Minor, president of the Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Grower’s Association, immigrants “are pretty much professional harvesters” with many specializing in particular crops.

Workers are paid by volume, with skilled workers typically earning $15 to $20 an hour. Unskilled workers earn much less, which is why most locals don’t want the jobs.

Georgia’s experience is consistent with economic research on immigration. Although many Americans believe immigrants “steal” our jobs and push down our wages, economists find little evidence of that.

Since 1950 the U.S. labor force has roughly doubled in size, but there has been no long-run increase in unemployment. Most economic studies also find little evidence that increased immigration depresses the wages of U.S. workers. At worst, it might push down the wages of high school dropouts, but even there the effect is small.
Republicants should consider this when wifeypoo won't get them laid after paying 15.00 for a head of lettuce.

Last edited:
Reactions: esquared

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If the southern border is shut down by the feds can California reopen their portion of it by force? Need help from you legal types out there. The new CA governor elect takes office on January 7. The border probably won't get shut down until after that if ever. So can Newsom, the next governor, who is pretty liberal order the border reopened?

I don't think state police or state marshals would obey him. And the national guard needs presidential approval to activated I believe. So can a governor organize a California armed security and investigative department for protection of the state? Would any CA residents here join it knowing it would be used to confront federal authorities at the border?

And of course I hope Newsom starts such an organization if the border is shut down.

No, immigration and border policy is an exclusively federal issue. States cannot lawfully interfere with federal policy there.

The president has no power over state and local police forces but they would not be involved in border enforcement anyway.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, immigration and border policy is an exclusively federal issue. States cannot lawfully interfere with federal policy there.

The president has no power over state and local police forces but they would not be involved in border enforcement anyway.

Agreed. If Trump shuts down the govt long enough, the CBP won't get paid & they'll quit coming to work so Trump can deploy the military to do it. You know, a banana Republican thing.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Agreed. If Trump shuts down the govt long enough, the CBP won't get paid & they'll quit coming to work so Trump can deploy the military to do it. You know, a banana Republican thing.

How long can Donny tread water?

1546048984086.jpeg

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Bring it on. The more damage he does to our economy, the worse he and the GOP will do in 2020.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
A president who misspells “loses” and uses “soooo” as an adjective. How any sane, educated individual could believe this man is fit for the job with his third-grader level english is beyond me.

He actually tweeted yesterday but soon deleted it tweeting 'Pesident' instead of 'President'. He's a dotard.