Trump threatens retaliation over travel warnings against US

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I am not making this up......here is my favorite part --
Warnings, which are of varying degrees of intensity, have come from a list of countries that include Uruguay, Venezuela, Japan, Germany, Ireland, Canada and New Zealand.
In an advisory issued Wednesday, Amnesty International said: "Depending on the traveler's gender identity, race, country of origin, ethnic background, or sexual orientation, they may be at higher risk of being targeted with gun violence, and should plan accordingly."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...arnings-against-us/ar-AAFAcEi?ocid=spartandhp

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump threatened undefined retaliation Friday against countries and organizations that issue travel warnings on the United States because of gun violence.

"If they did that, we'd just reciprocate," Trump said during a wide-ranging impromptu gaggle with reporters at the White House, en route to fundraisers in New York.

He added: "We are a very reciprocal nation with me as the head. When somebody does something negative to us in terms of a country, we do it to them."

Amnesty International and a growing list of countries have begun issuing warnings about travel to the United States because of gun violence, including mass shootings over the weekend in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.

Warnings, which are of varying degrees of intensity, have come from a list of countries that include Uruguay, Venezuela, Japan, Germany, Ireland, Canada and New Zealand.

In an advisory issued Wednesday, Amnesty International said: "Depending on the traveler's gender identity, race, country of origin, ethnic background, or sexual orientation, they may be at higher risk of being targeted with gun violence, and should plan accordingly."

Trump did not specify any particular country, or what he might do to retaliate.

Trump also said he received another "beautiful letter" from Kim Jong Un, in which the North Korea leader protested recent "war games" – joint military exercises – between the United States and South Korea.

Trump said he sympathized with Kim's complaint, saying he "never liked" the exercises because "I don't like paying for" them. He said he approved the recent round of exercises because he thought they were necessary.

Trump also questioned whether September trade talks would take place between the United States and China, as they are locked in a renewed tariff war.

While both sides still want a trade agreement, Trump said, "we'll see whether or not we keep our meeting in September ... We are winning and winning big."

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Am back in South east Asia and more and more people think of the USA as a shithole country.

Funny thing I had to replace my fridge and washing machine last year and they cost 35% of what they costed stateside for exact same models.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
He added: "We are a very reciprocal nation with me as the head. When somebody does something negative to us in terms of a country, we do it to them."
Only he would think that protecting one's citizens from harm as a negative.

Reactions: jman19

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm surprised this story hasn't gained more traction. I guess nearly all of us Americans have worn out our senses of outrage over what Trump does and says by now.

Personally I have to admit to have modified my personal behavior recently. I won't go to Walmart during busy periods. Also my wife and I love to go to "ethnic" fairs, now we think twice. I know people who are literally scared every time they leave their home because of gun carrying nuts. One told me a story of leaving a town library toddler event because some fool insisted by being present and strapped. MAGA my ass.

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
Since Trump started being Trump on the presidential chair I stopped traveling to USA.

USA don't want my money anymore. No problem, plenty of places to visit :)

Reactions: cytg111

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm surprised this story hasn't gained more traction. I guess nearly all of us Americans have worn out our senses of outrage over what Trump does and says by now.

Personally I have to admit to have modified my personal behavior recently. I won't go to Walmart during busy periods. Also my wife and I love to go to "ethnic" fairs, now we think twice. I know people who are literally scared every time they leave their home because of gun carrying nuts. One told me a story of leaving a town library toddler event because some fool insisted by being present and strapped. MAGA my ass.

What I find most sad about this is that's in a similar vein as 9/11 and how we changed much of what we do, and accept, essentially awarding victory to the terrorists. Conservatives continue to terrorize others. As it has always been

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Trump also said he received another "beautiful letter" from Kim Jong Un, in which the North Korea leader protested recent "war games" – joint military exercises – between the United States and South Korea.

Trump said he sympathized with Kim's complaint, saying he "never liked" the exercises because "I don't like paying for" them. He said he approved the recent round of exercises because he thought they were necessary.

So, spend billions for a "big beautiful" military and not spend any money for training? He probably wants them all stateside for parades.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
"We have never been so respected"

Foreign views of the US have totally plummeted during his presidency. Except for like Israel who he's given everything they ever wanted.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So, spend billions for a "big beautiful" military and not spend any money for training? He probably wants them all stateside for parades.
alm down wallflower!! It is obvious you did not read through the whole thread on you would have picked up on my sarcastic remark!!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
^This. Totally over Trump's uncontrollable stream of outrage. I watch very little cable news now as it’s all about Trump. I wish he would be 'disappeared'.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
What does this even mean?

If a country like Aruba put out a travel warning to their citizens saying not to travel to the US due to gun violence, that Trump will put out a warning telling us not to travel to Aruba due to their gun violence, which would just be a lie, since Aruba is one of the safest Caribbean countries to travel to?

He is such a child. My mind is still just completely blown as to how this guy is the president of the country. It doesn't compute how he is in office still.

Reactions: darkswordsman17
Mar 11, 2004

If a country like Aruba put out a travel warning to their citizens saying not to travel to the US due to gun violence, that Trump will put out a warning telling us not to travel to Aruba due to their gun violence, which would just be a lie, since Aruba is one of the safest Caribbean countries to travel to?

He is such a child. My mind is still just completely blown as to how this guy is the president of the country. It doesn't compute how he is in office still.

Its because most people have tuned politics out as much as possible. My sister for instance was trying to go off about the media talking about the story of Turmp's Japanese trip where they had them cover up the McCain on the ship, and I tried to explain to her that its a story because Turmp made it a story by being such a petulant child and then lying about it, wherein the military had to come out and go "nope the administration asked us to do that". She also tried going on about one of the abortion laws that a liberal state passed (enabling doctors to perform an abortion in medical emergencies late in the pregnancy), and I tried to explain to her that came about after conservatives have been pushing laws banning abortion as much as possible (including deliberately ignoring doctors talking about medical emergency ones; plus there was the one where they were trying to force doctors to have to do a medical procedure that doesn't exist and is likely impossible to have work - the one where instead of an abortion they're supposed to take the embryo and implant it into another person so they can carry it to term). Her and her fiance are terrible at vetting their information.

She talks about how she tunes out politics and then I have to constantly explain to her the actual situations because she'll catch one small totally bullshit angle to something and believes it. My other siblings are just as bad if not worse.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Aruba will pay for the American travel warning.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

Actually, I was telling the family the other day that we should leave So-Cal-Riverside and move to El Paso or Dayton (or was it Toledo?) as soon as possible, because lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place . . .

Even the travel advisories from that growing number of countries is not surprising. Trump has destroyed in a couple years a world-wide reputation that has taken a century to build. We're the laughing stocks of the world, if even laughing stocks that should be approached with caution.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002

Personally I'm not paying attention to Trump antics as much as I used to. I used to religiously read every news story and even frequented his twitter feed to see what he's up to. But I realized that it was bad for my mental health and ultimately pointless - Trump is going to Trump no matter what I do. I know what he is, no point in endangering my mental wellbeing by paying attention to him.

So for now I'm just biding my time until 2020 elections. We're almost 3/4 of the way through his first term. Elections are in a year and hopefully he'll be out (along with the GOP controlled senate) in a year and a half.

Remember people - Vote, Vote as if your life depended on it because it very well might.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Personally I'm not paying attention to Trump antics as much as I used to. I used to religiously read every news story and even frequented his twitter feed to see what he's up to. But I realized that it was bad for my mental health and ultimately pointless - Trump is going to Trump no matter what I do. I know what he is, no point in endangering my mental wellbeing by paying attention to him.

So for now I'm just biding my time until 2020 elections. We're almost 3/4 of the way through his first term. Elections are in a year and hopefully he'll be out (along with the GOP controlled senate) in a year and a half.

Remember people - Vote, Vote as if your life depended on it because it very well might.
Yes . . . good point. I was thinking of a bumper-sticker or bumper-poster:

"There are two types of Assholes in America . . . Trump supporters, and people who don't vote . . ."