Trump Sues Ways and Means and NY Officials to protect tax returns

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...rk-state-officials-to-protect-his-tax-returns

FN said:
President Trump on Tuesday sued the House Ways and Means Committee and New York state officials for employing an "unconstitutional" law to obtain his state tax returns, after the Treasury Department's move to block his federal records from release.

The president, “in his capacity as a private citizen,” filed suit in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia against the Committee on Ways and Means, New York State Attorney General Letitia James, and commissioner of the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Michael Schmidt, for “declaratory and injunctive relief.”

HOUSE COMMITTEE SUES TRUMP ADMIN FOR PRESIDENT'S TAX RETURNS

The president’s suit comes after the committee chairman, Richard Neal, D-Mass., earlier this month sued the Trump administration, accusing officials of violating federal law by refusing to comply with the panel's requests and subpoenas for the documents.

Days later, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill into law, titled the TRUST Act, which would allow lawmakers on Capitol Hill to obtain Trump’s state tax returns. Under previous law, though, state tax returns were required to remain private with an exception for law enforcement.

“Once it became clear that Treasury would not divulge the President’s federal tax returns, New York passed a law allowing the Committee to get his state returns,” the court filing read, describing the new law that directs the commissioner to grant the committee’s request for Trump’s state tax returns. “That hyper-specific condition was, not coincidentally, already satisfied for the intended target of the Act: President Trump.”

I hope he's granted a very speedy trial.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Have to like how he swears he's the best businessman and totally legit, but is desperate to prevent anyone from seeing the truth about his finances.

Reactions: hal2kilo and pmv

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This is good news.
The president cant be indicted.
But.
Trump the private citizen can.
Glad we got that cleared up :).

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Have to like how he swears he's the best businessman and totally legit, but is desperate to prevent anyone from seeing the truth about his finances.

He needs to hide but NY documents are pretty much the same as Federal and Trump has no standing as anything other than someone who has done business in NY. Trump's best allies right now are Dems themselves who appear to want to make a lot of noise and being seen as doing something but not doing anything of substance. I believe that Mueller can testify in any way about anything and Nancy would impeachment against Trump. Until she proves me wrong then she's his ally in keeping him consequence-free.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It’s mostly a repeat of his other insane arguments along with a few new crazy ones like how Congress doesn’t have the subpoena power for them, which is irrelevant to whether NYS can release them, to how they are violating his first amendment rights, to how the courts should intervene and tell the House how to run its business.

It’s panicked legal nonsense whose only purpose is to run out the clock. I hope the courts realize this and dismiss it quickly.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
No obstruction no obstruction YOUR THE OBSTRUCTION!!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How is it in this age of hacking and 'leaks' no one has leaked his returns yet?

I suspect he has gone to enormous lengths to ensure that they would be difficult to leak or that if they were the leaker would be identified.

Clearly he takes the nonexistent, made up principle of not releasing taxes under audit very seriously.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Clearly, when Trump ran for the office of the presidency, he had absolutely no idea what it meant to be a public servant and had every idea that the public was going to work for him.

Reactions: jman19 and pmv

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Clearly, when Trump ran for the office of the presidency, he had absolutely no idea what it meant to be a public servant and had every idea that the public was going to work for him.
I think he expected unfettered adulation from his "subjects" who were supposed to be eternally grateful to be graced by his mere presence in the White House.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Man, this is weird behavior for someone who would love to show us his tax returns if he weren't being audited.
Exactly. The cost of the lawsuits alone are proof that he really doesn't want them disclosed because they are damaging.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
My guess is that he's doesn't want the public to know who he's been doing business with.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
One thing I don't get...

Once NY signed the law why didn't Congress have their request for the returns ready to beat Trump's suit??

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
One thing I don't get...

Once NY signed the law why didn't Congress have their request for the returns ready to beat Trump's suit??

Same reason they took 4 months to schedule Mueller's testimony on the day before they go on August break for 6 weeks?

If they get any worse at this, you have to suspect they are trying to throw the game.

Reactions: ivwshane

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
One thing I don't get...

Because they're generally a group of bumbling incompetents.

I'm honestly shocked how Nadler was able to convince them to stay on a consistent message for Mueller's testimony. It's the first time that's ever happened with this congress that I'm aware of.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I fully support that Trump needs to reveal his taxes to the public, but this is not the way to do it. This reminds me of the people at the state DMV offices were turning info over to ICE to help deport people. In both cases the ends does not justify the means. Now if some government employee pulled an Edward Snowden and leaked his returns as a public and took the punishment for it, I’d consider them a national hero.