Trump Spoke to Witnesses About Matters They Discussed With Special Counsel (Asked one to lie)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Apparently he just can't help himself.

And the hole he digs gets deeper and deeper.

I would say the case for obstruction is now open and shut.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/...priebus-mcgahn.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

In one episode, the president told an aide that the White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, should issue a statement denying a New York Times article in January. The article said Mr. McGahn told investigators that the president once asked him to fire the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III. Mr. McGahn never released a statement and later had to remind the president that he had indeed asked Mr. McGahn to see that Mr. Mueller was dismissed, the people said.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm not sure I understand the article. In the first instance the description ends with "people said". An I reading that sideways or what? In the second event it appears Trump asked if they had been nice to the fellow. What am I missing here?

Jan 25, 2011
Title is a bit... misleading for lack of a better word. He seems to have asked McGahn to lie to the press, not to Mueller. He wanted McGahn to deny the NYT report that he told Mueller Trump asked him to fire Mueller.

I can’t see any of what’s reported rising to the level of obstruction. All he tried to do is lie to his believers but he does that every day and they don’t care anyway. They will deny anything that paints Trump in a negative light on their own. They don’t need his convincing.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
But what's the chances there's not more damning information to this story?

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
I'm not sure I understand the article. In the first instance the description ends with "people said". An I reading that sideways or what? In the second event it appears Trump asked if they had been nice to the fellow. What am I missing here?

Why do you even bother?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why do you even bother?
Because I was somewhat confused. I read the headline and expected an explosive story in which Trump was nailed in witness tampering, obstruction, and probably not brushing twice daily. What I read was Bob and Harry chatting at the water cooler and a rumor. I was sure I missed something, some critical piece of information that would tie it all together. It was less than a nothing burger, it was a cup of tepid water. An ingrown hair on Trumps backside would be a bigger story than this. It was so lame I figured there just had to be more to it. I was wrong.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Second part of this.....
In the other episode, Mr. Trump asked his former chief of staff, Reince Priebus, how his interview had gone with the special counsel’s investigators and whether they had been “nice,” according to two people familiar with the discussion.

That action can taint followup questioning by Mueller. It's called witness tampering.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Second part of this.....

That action can taint followup questioning by Mueller. It's called witness tampering.
Yes, I’m sure Donny just wanted to know if they were nice to them, not what they asked them.

Feb 4, 2009
Per the legal experts I heard last night on the radio, it’s not against the law for him to speak with witnesses but no lawyer recommends it.
Simple summary is even if you are not trying to tamper with the witness one misspoken word or action that was not intended can lead to witness tampering and this is an area of law where intent doesn’t make you innocent
Just another example of Dear Leader being an expert at everything and not accepting feedback from certified experts

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Because I was somewhat confused. I read the headline and expected an explosive story in which Trump was nailed in witness tampering, obstruction, and probably not brushing twice daily. What I read was Bob and Harry chatting at the water cooler and a rumor. I was sure I missed something, some critical piece of information that would tie it all together. It was less than a nothing burger, it was a cup of tepid water. An ingrown hair on Trumps backside would be a bigger story than this. It was so lame I figured there just had to be more to it. I was wrong.
I don't understand your confusion. Trump asked the White House Council to lie to the press about Trump asking him to get rid of Mueller. Why would he do that if he were not trying to hide the fact Trump attempted to obstruct justice just as he did by firing Comey. It didn't happen because the McGahn threatened to quit and McGahn had to remind the President that he DID ask him to see to the firing of Mueller. Additionally, McGahn not only refused to lie but made sure he was pressured to do so was known by others including Mueller.

It is obvious in my opinion at least, that Trump will be charged with obstruction but the charges of money laundering, collusion with a foreign government to effect the outcome of elections, etc. will take more time to investigate. Trump is dead but his brain doesn't know it yet. For the sake of the nation's dignity he must be impeached.

Reactions: cytg111

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Yes, I’m sure Donny just wanted to know if they were nice to them, not what they asked them.
LOL! Exactly, that sounds exactly like him.

They know who he is. This defending of him is a lie every time. They know that too.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I don't understand your confusion. Trump asked the White House Council to lie to the press about Trump asking him to get rid of Mueller. Why would he do that if he were not trying to hide the fact Trump attempted to obstruct justice just as he did by firing Comey. It didn't happen because the McGahn threatened to quit and McGahn had to remind the President that he DID ask him to see to the firing of Mueller. Additionally, McGahn not only refused to lie but made sure he was pressured to do so was known by others including Mueller.

It is obvious in my opinion at least, that Trump will be charged with obstruction but the charges of money laundering, collusion with a foreign government to effect the outcome of elections, etc. will take more time to investigate. Trump is dead but his brain doesn't know it yet. For the sake of the nation's dignity he must be impeached.
nvm, didn't note who I was responding to.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

Lots of questions, I don't have the answer to any of them. I don't have the time or the inclination to read page after page of speculation. Until Mueller finishes the investigation, we don't know anything. Most of the information is from "unnamed sources" or "people close to the investigation". To me, both of those are code words for rumor.
The story we're discussing here ended with "people said". A half decent rumor monger could do better than that. From my point of view, that gives the story exactly zero credibility.
I'm not driven by what I wish was the truth, I don't search for bits of information that confirm my preconceived beliefs. I'll wait for actual charges to be filled before I voice my condemnation of Trump. I understand that that's a very unpopular position to take around here, but I've never been much of a follower.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Lots of questions, I don't have the answer to any of them. I don't have the time or the inclination to read page after page of speculation. Until Mueller finishes the investigation, we don't know anything. Most of the information is from "unnamed sources" or "people close to the investigation". To me, both of those are code words for rumor.
The story we're discussing here ended with "people said". A half decent rumor monger could do better than that. From my point of view, that gives the story exactly zero credibility.
I'm not driven by what I wish was the truth, I don't search for bits of information that confirm my preconceived beliefs. I'll wait for actual charges to be filled before I voice my condemnation of Trump. I understand that that's a very unpopular position to take around here, but I've never been much of a follower.
Fair enough. I do have such an inclination and am apparently way ahead of you on the curve. I see Trump going down or the Republicans turning a blind eye. But it couldn't be more obvious that he is guilty. I salute you for not drawing conclusions in an ignorant state. I think you will have the information you need in the next few months.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Fair enough. I do have such an inclination and am apparently way ahead of you on the curve. I see Trump going down or the Republicans turning a blind eye. But it couldn't be more obvious that he is guilty. I salute you for not drawing conclusions in an ignorant state. I think you will have the information you need in the next few months.
Time will tell my friend. I hope they don't drag this out for years then pull a Comey on us.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Your cognitive dissonance.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I think when they book trump into prison and strip search him. The officers will find "property of Vlad the impaler" tattooed across the Donald's orange butt cheeks.

Ok. That's it for me. Nighty. Night.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Yup, say what you want about the guy, but it has to be said that Trump is always sensitive to the feelings and well-being of others.

I think when they book trump into prison and strip search him. The officers will find "property of Vlad the impaler" tattooed across the Donald's orange butt cheeks.

May I be the first to say, "ew".

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Title is a bit... misleading for lack of a better word. He seems to have asked McGahn to lie to the press, not to Mueller. He wanted McGahn to deny the NYT report that he told Mueller Trump asked him to fire Mueller.

I can’t see any of what’s reported rising to the level of obstruction. All he tried to do is lie to his believers but he does that every day and they don’t care anyway. They will deny anything that paints Trump in a negative light on their own. They don’t need his convincing.

Why even be surprised anymore? He constantly posts "misleading", or outright untruthful topics. Following up in the post. I've come to expect, and largely ignore this sad tactic. Curiously, he is only upset about conduct he posts about if Republicans are the alleged wrong doers. Which proves time and time again he's fake, bias, and has an agenda. Speaking of spreading misinformation. But oh those Russian trolls! Must be ok if it's an American troll.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000

Along the way you missed a lot of proof though like don jr and how many others meeting with russians and lying about it. Trump firing comey, then you got all these so called rumor stories that have been proven along the way. Seems to me your just willfully ignoring it til it smacks you in the face.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Seems to me your just willfully ignoring it til it smacks you in the face.

Nope, first is the denial and suggestions that "anonymous sources" must be fake news, then comes the wilful ignorance. That way one can rinse and repeat.