Trump slams due process

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
No matter how you present Trumps quote, with or without context. Trimmed...or not.
It's still the same utter stupidity

President Donald Trump said the immigration system is “corrupt” and questioned the need for trials.

In an interview with Fox News that aired Thursday,” Trump said the United States has “the worst immigration laws in the whole world” and he wanted to get rid of the system of “catch and release.” He also said the United States is essentially the only country with judges considering immigration cases.

Fox News and CNN have stories.

“Other countries have—it’s called security people, people that stand there and say you can’t come in,” Trump said. “We have thousands of judges and they need thousands of more judges. The whole system is corrupt. It’s horrible. So you need thousands of judges based on this crazy system. Whoever heard of a system where you put people through trials? Where do these judges come from? You know a judge is a very special person. How do you hire thousands of people to be a judge?

“So, it’s ridiculous. We’re going to change the system, we have no choice for the good of our country.”

According to the Washington Post, there were 334 immigration judges as of mid-April.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...for_immigration_trials_says_system_is_corrupt

However, as we just explained, U.S. immigration judges work under the auspices of the Justice Department. They're not Article III judges or members of the U.S. judicial branch. But they use the adversarial process and are supposed to have independence. (The Justice Department under Sessions has imposed quotas on the number of cases immigration judges must clear.)

Looking at the situation under this lens, and leaving aside the word "judge" for a minute, we found that the U.S. system is remarkably similar to those in many European nations, and experts said the same process is followed by countries in other parts of the world.

Like the United States, Belgium, Britain, Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland all have executive branch officers who are set up to be free from political influence evaluating requests for refugee status or asylum in the first instance, according to a database maintained by the European Program for Integration and Migration.
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...-country-with-thousands-of-immigration-judges

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^Recall how the Right and various Trumptardians on this board and everywhere were shitting their pants the last several years with all of those open boarder European countries and all the refugee mooselmens flooding in and wrecking those countries....but now they have the best immigration laws with "security people" at the borders that just tell those people "No!" and so they go away. If only we had something like that....

The best part is that the very same Trumptardians that have spent these years shitting their pants over the "European invasion" and "Creeping Sharia" will, without hesitation, fervently agree with Trump's current, off-the-cuff assertion of the new reality of things.

Only in Trumptardia!

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
He has done this before. During the campaign, someone asked him if it would be ok to try American citizens accused of terrorism in overseas Military Tribunals. He had pretty obviously never given that any thought, but he ended up saying that sure, that would be ok. As he got warmed up, he mentioned how such people would be clogging up the court system or some such.

American citizens, accused of a crime, clogging up the court system.

The facts that 1) an elected official would think circumventing due process is peachy and 2) a large number of people would support it...this should be terrifying. It's the kind of shit that happens in banana republics. Do I think Trump could actually put some of this crap into place? No, but mainly because I think he is too stupid, and doesn't really believe all this stuff himself (I think he just loves the adulation from his base). Nevertheless, we should see this stuff as a trial run for when a truly smart populist gets into power...and "we" are failing the test. Too many people in this country are willing to give one person WAY too much power.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
This is the shit we save our outrage for not expend it on violent gangs and animals. This is a seriously fucked up thought process.
How is this significant? It's the same kind of verbal diarrhea that the other thread was about.
I know some trees look more interesting than others, but there's a forest of dysfunction in the man's brain and he can order a nuclear strike.

On the flipside, it's good to get a barometer for which of his crap meets your threshold for "actual" problems.

Let's see what he says next and we can keep working on the scale. Do you have feelings about his blaming Dems for his policy that led to the unaccounted for children? Or should we only focus on the policy itself and ignore his flailing to reconcile his own terrible actions with reality?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Coming from a man that loved to threaten to sue people for the smallest and dumbest things...

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
How is this significant? It's the same kind of verbal diarrhea that the other thread was about.
I know some trees look more interesting than others, but there's a forest of dysfunction in the man's brain and he can order a nuclear strike.

On the flipside, it's good to get a barometer for which of his crap meets your threshold for "actual" problems.

Let's see what he says next and we can keep working on the scale. Do you have feelings about his blaming Dems for his policy that led to the unaccounted for children? Or should we only focus on the policy itself and ignore his flailing to reconcile his own terrible actions with reality?

Just keep on listening to me talking and you can create your spreadsheet barometer and show it to me later. I'll grade it on a curve.

Him lying about things being a Dem law that was really his policy is also extremely dangerous - because he has millions of followers who believe it. They are all mini-fascists. I say raise the alert level another notch.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm sure he'd love to get rid of due process so he could put away or get rid of people he hates but so far due process is treating him very nicely. Since if his witch hunt was real we would of found out if he floats by now.
Wow, was that was really good. Might want to get a copyright and sell it.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It’s a key part of the context, id certainly say it’s germane.

No it isn't. The context is he was whining that there was a system of judges to ensure die process was followed as required by the Constitution.

That is all that matters here.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I was thinking that perhaps in Trump's mind that due process was when of his tenants made a payment.:p