Trump shoots down renaming Army posts named for Confederate leaders

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No surprise at all:
Slavery is good vs Slavery is bad.
Lynching is good vs Lynching is bad.

Traitorous insurrection is good vs... well I think we all can see which "perspective" you have chosen to defend.
I have never been in doubt. Slavery is awful. Guess what? It still exists today, it's widespread, it's part and parcel to cultures all over the world. It's not sanctioned, however. Malcolm X in his wonderful autobiography among other things portrayed black culture in northeastern major cities. They called their jobs "slaves." Because they paid so poorly, they had no potential for advancement, the working conditions were so terrible, and treatment was so bad.

Terrific book to open your eyes to the scourge of slavery on America, written in 1853. It is extremely well written. You can get the Kindle version right now for 60 cents:

Reactions: feralkid

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
And now I see that Oxford University protesters are demanding the removal of Cecil Rhodes statue from the building. I guess they need to do away with the Rhodes Scholarships and everyone that received one should tear it up too.

Cecil Rhodes was a raging asshole, even by the standards of his times.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
This confederate flag business is troubling. I think waving a confederate flag in front of African Americans is the equivalent of waving a swastika flag in front of Jews. I went to Kentucky and Tennessee several months back and I was astonished at the number of confederate flags on display, especially in people's front yards.

This rationale of honoring their history is very strange. The southern states have been under the US flag for 221 years, and the confederate flag for 4. Why the fascination with commemorating 4 years of a 225 year history which was not exactly their finest hour anyway? The state of Texas was under the Lone Star flag for 10 years. I bet you don't see a 20th as many lone star flags being flown in Texas as confederate flags.

If they really aren't waving this around as a symbol white supremacy, then it's difficult to understand the rationale because historical commemoration clearly isn't it.
I live in NC, drive through the country side and you will see them on many single wide trailers.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
An editorial in WaPo today makes another good observation about the notion that any of this has to do with history.

When you put up a statue to someone or name a military base for him, you’re not making a value-free statement that "this was an important figure in American history.”

If that were true, you’d be sending your kids to Benedict Arnold Elementary School and playing Frisbee in Osama bin Laden Park. We put up statues of people and name things for them not to remind everyone that they existed, but so they can be venerated, celebrated and honored.

Exactly.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Not long after the war was over, the South and it's sympathizers starting running a disinformation campaign that promoted ideas such as the Civil War was about States rights, slavery wasn't as bad as the North made it out to be, Black people were sometimes better than poor whites, Grant was a drunken imbecile, the North only won the because if it's industrial might, southern generals were better strategists than the northern ones, etc. By the end of the 1800's/early 1900's it not only led to such things as Jim Crow laws but also the numerous confederate statues that pervaded the US, many in area that had no ties to the Confederacy or the Civil War. That campaign still continues to this day.
That's all I was ever taught as the official reason for the Civil War growing up in the Old Dominion.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
86-14, Senate passes defense bill including Warren provision requiring that military bases named after Confederate generals change their name. Veto proof majority.
He can still veto it!! Then the senate must vote to overturn the veto! Nothing is veto proof!

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
i found it funny as well, but if you are going to correct someone, you might want to make sure that what you post is indeed correct.

not that i am surprised, just another unnecessary and easily verified error on your part.

it's y'all, not ya'll

Ooops!

Got me.
:(

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
That is not what you said the first time? You said it was a VETO proof majority.....capiche??

OK. I'm not arguing about it... capiche?

I quoted the link provided in the post by KMFJD.

Why does everything have to be an argument with you?
Are you really that miserable?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
A laughable veto threat on the NDAA to protect Confederate generals has to be one of the bizarre self owns any president has managed in the last several decades.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Depending on how your screen is formatted and how tired you are, this thread initially looks like "Trump Shoots Down Army Posts"

Reactions: zinfamous

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It blows my mind that we named military bases off of traitors in the first place.
Does it really though? The civil war was fought for white supremacy. When the war ended the white supremacists were defeated, but they never went away.

Reactions: hal2kilo