Trump says likely to support ending federal ban on marijuana

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If he legalizes there’s his re-election right there.

Thanks for bringing this issue to the fore, Donald. Now we're going to beat the shit out of your party with it.

Everybody realizes, I hope, that nothing will happen before the election but that.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Trumpendulum swings one way one day other way other day. Untruthful and unpredictable. Fools only believe.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Trump says blablablaObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablab
Most of it is jibberish but if you listen close enough you can hear him putting his neck in the noose every single day...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Trump says blablablaObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablabObstructionofJusticeblablablablab
Most of it is jibberish but if you listen close enough you can hear him putting his neck in the noose every single day...

No collusion!

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Trump can speak with the sec of the HHS and get the rescheduling process going if he supports this kind of thing until Congress goes along with it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Trump can speak with the sec of the HHS and get the rescheduling process going if he supports this kind of thing until Congress goes along with it.

Lol....that's a foreign language to Trump, and sure AF sessions won't help with this

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Lol....that's a foreign language to Trump, and sure AF sessions won't help with this

Sessions doesn't have to help. He "shall" reschedule as the HHS Sec determines. That word is in the law. He can resign or do. There is no third option. That's how the process works and I expect Trump to do the same as his predecessors, that is to say, nothing.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sessions doesn't have to help. He "shall" reschedule as the HHS Sec determines. That word is in the law. He can resign or do. There is no third option. That's how the process works and I expect Trump to do the same as his predecessors, that is to say, nothing.
Understood, but you know Trump doesn't really know how this stuff works and is relying on others to tell him what to do....

For me, this will be too little too late, even if it comes to fruition. Trump has proven to be a class a gas bag for decades, and has held true to form while in office. He says a lot, but what actually comes of it.

Even hope of me, as an independent, flipping to support someone like Trump has long since dried up. Between the complete failure to even attempt to make good on campaign promises, and his fallback to the Republican playbook, he's not the Maverick he wishes to be, or touted to the election.

States have already moved forward with this. The feds hold policies that we're written out of greed, hate, and spite....and are a relic of an older generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Understood, but you know Trump doesn't really know how this stuff works and is relying on others to tell him what to do....

For me, this will be too little too late, even if it comes to fruition. Trump has proven to be a class a gas bag for decades, and has held true to form while in office. He says a lot, but what actually comes of it.

Even hope of me, as an independent, flipping to support someone like Trump has long since dried up. Between the complete failure to even attempt to make good on campaign promises, and his fallback to the Republican playbook, he's not the Maverick he wishes to be, or touted to the election.

States have already moved forward with this. The feds hold policies that we're written out of greed, hate, and spite....and are a relic of an older generation.

Even if he's sincere, which he's never, Trump hasn't the attention span necessary. I'm saying what could happen, but I'll vote for him if he gets this done before the end of the year. Well I won't, but I'd be surprised.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Too many conservatives still think its the devils weed and may lead to hard drugs. That imo is the only stumbling block to full legality country wide. Wasnt Jeff Sessions about to join the KKK until he discovered some of them smoked the stuff? Unfortunately that may be a lingering mindset of many (hard core) conservatives, that weed is more objectionable than the KKK. :D

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's diversionary. It's perfectly obvious that legalization must be a political decision rather than a bureaucratic one. It's also obvious that our GOP congress won't do it. Their investment in the propaganda of prohibition is huge.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
That's diversionary. It's perfectly obvious that legalization must be a political decision rather than a bureaucratic one. It's also obvious that our GOP congress won't do it. Their investment in the propaganda of prohibition is huge.

It's the law. That you don't like it is irrelevant. The political decision was made four and a half decades ago or thereabouts with Congress creating a law that permits this process. I think you are safe enough and that Trump won't do what he is by law permitted to do for whatever reason. Why put tens of thousands more behind bars? What does that do for you? Every President has had this power from Nixon forward. It's just been waiting to be used. Would be ironic if it were Trump though. All it takes is the will to begin the process.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
So...Trump has apparently floated 3 "ideas" this week: legalizing marijuana, pardoning thousands of random people (some of whom may have celebrity lobbyists on their side) and allowing NFL players to pick who they want to pardon. What this looks like is that what these all have in common is: blatant pandering for popularity/votes. Just throwing shit at the wall in an effort to make people love him.

I suspect that this is partly what is motivating him. Trump's still discovering what's inside his toolbox. He's finding tools that we've all known about for a long time, but he's finding novel ways to use those tools. He's using them in ways that were not intended and perhaps not anticipated. "I alone can fix this"

Many of us laughed at that statement, but this is, and has been, his mentality from day one. Trump's message to Americans is basically this:

Look..you guys hired me because I'm a CEO right? As CEO, if I don't like the strategy, I change it. If I don't like the curtains, I replace them. If I don't like the people around me, I fire them. Wouldn't it be great if government was run like a business? Don't you get tired of these sleazebag politicians from dangerous cites you'd never want to visit or even set foot in make promises they don't keep? Don't you wish you could just fire them? There's a way to do that: Give me more power. You wanted change, I'll give it to you, but you must give me more power and like me. That's the deal!

Reactions: Aegeon

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
lol, no.
the guys backwash of filth cannot be cleansed by a simple act of common sense legislation.

It doesnt need to be "cleansed".

Americans are stupid, ignorant, and have incredibly short attention spans. If he gets the bill passed a month before the election he will probably win. All he has to do is stretch this out for two years.

Feb 16, 2005
It doesnt need to be "cleansed".

Americans are stupid, ignorant, and have incredibly short attention spans. If he gets the bill passed a month before the election he will probably win. All he has to do is stretch this out for two years.
I am going to hold out for hope, and hope some or most of the drumpf voters woke the fuck up. I have doubts, but I have more hope.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's the law. That you don't like it is irrelevant. The political decision was made four and a half decades ago or thereabouts with Congress creating a law that permits this process. I think you are safe enough and that Trump won't do what he is by law permitted to do for whatever reason. Why put tens of thousands more behind bars? What does that do for you? Every President has had this power from Nixon forward. It's just been waiting to be used. Would be ironic if it were Trump though. All it takes is the will to begin the process.

The bureaucratic thicket is obviously impenetrable because of the parameters involved. In order to be removed from schedule 1 cannabis would have to be shown to be safe & efficacious for medicinal purposes. That can't be done by presidential decree. Which isn't the point of legalization at all.

I'm confident that Obama looked long & hard at doing that before the Cole memo was released & realized that he couldn't force it to happen. The whole argument is distractional bullshit because what we need is for Congress to act. That's right- they & the President together can pass legislation that moots the federal bureaucracy. The GOP won't touch it with a pole & they control Congress. Expect nothing until after the election & more of the same if they're still in charge.

I'm entirely pleased that Trump was clueless enough to point that out. The whole point of your argument is apparently to protect the GOP from the scorn they rightfully deserve over this issue & many others. It's not really their fault if it could be done some other way, right?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
The bureaucratic thicket is obviously impenetrable because of the parameters involved. In order to be removed from schedule 1 cannabis would have to be shown to be safe & efficacious for medicinal purposes. That can't be done by presidential decree. Which isn't the point of legalization at all.

I'm confident that Obama looked long & hard at doing that before the Cole memo was released & realized that he couldn't force it to happen. The whole argument is distractional bullshit because what we need is for Congress to act. That's right- they & the President together can pass legislation that moots the federal bureaucracy. The GOP won't touch it with a pole & they control Congress. Expect nothing until after the election & more of the same if they're still in charge.

I'm entirely pleased that Trump was clueless enough to point that out. The whole point of your argument is apparently to protect the GOP from the scorn they rightfully deserve over this issue & many others. It's not really their fault if it could be done some other way, right?

You don't understand the law so perhaps you should stop arguing it. The only thing required is that MJ is not as addictive as other substances such as heroin. Safe and effective is absolutely untrue. All it needs to have is demonstrated medical use. That's done in the case of epilepsy.

Congress acted decades ago. You are inventing a "deep state" conspiracy. My basis for knowledge? In addition to other things, I'm an NY state approved cannabis practitioner. I haven't mentioned Obama because he's out. You can stop with the apologist nonsense. I'm telling you what the law is.

Congress should continue along other lines in the meantime. Why have you decided to misrepresent the facts with an imaginary deep state and introduce requirement not found in the law, condemning potentially thousands more to prison while Congress screws around? Don't bother, there's no excuse for it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You don't understand the law so perhaps you should stop arguing it. The only thing required is that MJ is not as addictive as other substances such as heroin. Safe and effective is absolutely untrue. All it needs to have is demonstrated medical use. That's done in the case of epilepsy.

Congress acted decades ago. You are inventing a "deep state" conspiracy. My basis for knowledge? In addition to other things, I'm an NY state approved cannabis practitioner. I haven't mentioned Obama because he's out. You can stop with the apologist nonsense. I'm telling you what the law is.

Congress should continue along other lines in the meantime. Why have you decided to misrepresent the facts with an imaginary deep state and introduce requirement not found in the law, condemning potentially thousands more to prison while Congress screws around? Don't bother, there's no excuse for it.

Yada, yada, yada.

The federal bureaucracy isn't sticking their neck out & no President can force them to do so. That's as true for Trump as it was for Obama. So if we want change it has to come from Congress. It's also perfectly clear that the GOP will not support such change, certainly not if past performance is any indicator.

You can make all the excuses for them you want but Dems will be beating them over the head with it in the meanwhile, thanks in part to Donald bringing the issue to the top.

Would he really sign such legislation? We'll never know with the GOP in charge.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Yada, yada, yada.

The federal bureaucracy isn't sticking their neck out & no President can force them to do so. That's as true for Trump as it was for Obama. So if we want change it has to come from Congress. It's also perfectly clear that the GOP will not support such change, certainly not if past performance is any indicator.

You can make all the excuses for them you want but Dems will be beating them over the head with it in the meanwhile, thanks in part to Donald bringing the issue to the top.

Would he really sign such legislation? We'll never know with the GOP in charge.

So it's all about Obama. The facts don't matter, the law doesn't matter. It's the DEEP STATE CONSPIRACY operating. Lulz. Looks like Trump is right! The Rothschilds? Illuminati? Trilateral Commission?

Okey doke then.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
So it's all about Obama. The facts don't matter, the law doesn't matter. It's the DEEP STATE CONSPIRACY operating. Lulz. Looks like Trump is right! The Rothschilds? Illuminati? Trilateral Commission?

Okey doke then.

That's not really what's jhnn's saying. The political motivation to sign off on this may be reaching a tipping point, but it will be reluctantly for many politicians who gain favor from one or more of the opponents of MJ legalization. There's billions of dollars at stake.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's not really what's jhnn's saying. The political motivation to sign off on this may be reaching a tipping point, but it will be reluctantly for many politicians who gain favor from one or more of the opponents of MJ legalization. There's billions of dollars at stake.

He knows what I'm saying. He's just running cover for the GOP.

"Don't look at Congress! Look at these other people!"

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'm sure Speaker Ryan will get right on that.
One wonders how this even makes the news. The President is immaterial in this regard.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
He knows what I'm saying. He's just running cover for the GOP.

"Don't look at Congress! Look at these other people!"

His posts from day to day are very confusing. It's like he's only retarded every other day or so... The most enigmatic poster here for sure...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm sure Speaker Ryan will get right on that.
One wonders how this even makes the news. The President is immaterial in this regard.

He would have to sign the legislation. He could even direct his staff to write proposed legislation & have a congressional ally submit it for consideration. Pete Sessions, maybe...