Trump says he'll work with Congress to stop mass shootings

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
That is a crock of you know what!! How many times has he backpedaled on his word?? How many times has he lied about doing anything about gun control!! Stuff like this cannot be made up!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-hell-congress-stop-173911864.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump expressed a commitment Sunday, hours after the latest deadly mass shooting, to work with a divided Congress to "stop the menace of mass attacks." He said any measures must satisfy the competing goals of protecting public safety and the constitutional right to gun ownership and seemed to cast fresh doubt on the merits of instituting more thorough background checks for gun purchases.
Trump spoke shortly after the death toll in Saturday's rampage in West Texas rose to seven as authorities worked to understand why a man pulled over for a traffic infraction opened fire on state troopers and fled. He shot more than 20 people before he was killed by police. A motive has not been released.
The president said it would be "wonderful to say" he'd work to "eliminate" mass shootings, but acknowledged that that was unlikely.
"We want to substantially reduce the violent crime," Trump said at the top of a briefing about Hurricane Dorian at Federal Emergency Management Agency headquarters in Washington.
Trump's commitment to gun control has been in doubt ever since 17 students and adults were killed in a shooting at a Parkland, Florida, high school on Valentine's Day in 2018. Trump came out in favor of stronger background checks after the shooting, but then quickly retreated under pressure from the National Rifle Association, the politically powerfully gun owners' lobby that strongly backed his bid to become president.
More recently, he has waffled on the merits of stronger background checks for gun purchases in the aftermath of back-to-back shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, that killed more than 30 people about a month ago. Instead, Trump sought to elevate mental health issues over access to guns.
"For the most part, sadly, if you look at the last four or five (shootings) going back even five or six or seven years, for the most part, as strong as you make your background checks, they would not have stopped any of it," he said. "So it's a big problem. It's a mental problem. It's a big problem."
Trump mentioned the need for "strong measures to keep weapons out of the hands of dangerous and deranged individuals" along with changes to a mental health system he described as "broken." He also called for ensuring that criminals with guns "are put behind bars and kept off the streets."
"Public safety is our No. 1 priority, always wanting to protect our Second Amendment. So important," he said, referring to the constitutional amendment that established the right to keep and bear arms.
Trump told reporters earlier Sunday that he's been speaking to lawmakers from both political parties and "people want to do something." He said the administration is "looking at a lot of different things" and hopes to have a package ready by the time Congress returns to session next week.
The Republican-controlled Senate has refused to take up several gun-control bills that passed the Democratic-controlled House this year, and the GOP historically has opposed many efforts to strengthen the nation's gun laws.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called on the Republican-controlled Senate to "end its obstruction" and send the gun violence measures to Trump.
Republican Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania said he has discussed the issue with Trump and described the president as "very interested in doing something meaningful." Toomey has long pushed a bipartisan bill with Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia to expand background checks and said he remains interested in measures to keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them.
"We're going to take a very serious run at it," he said.
Others, like Republican Sen. Rick Scott of Florida, argued that Congress should use his state as a model.
Scott, who was governor at the time of the Parkland school shooting, said officials sat down within days of the massacre with law enforcement, mental health counselors and educators. Legislation was quickly passed and signed into law, including a "red-flag" statute that would allow authorities to confiscate weapons from individuals deemed by the courts to be a threat to themselves or others.
Scott said he doesn't want to take guns away from law-abiding citizens, but added that "we've got to figure out how we get guns away from mentally ill people who want to harm others or themselves."
In the days immediately after the August shootings in Texas and Ohio, Trump said he was eager to implement "very meaningful background checks," saying there was "tremendous support" for it. He also said he disagreed with the NRA's stance that such legislation would open the door to infringing on Second Amendment rights.
But the president has also acknowledged that his core supporters support gun rights, which highlights the challenge he has to balance the politics of gun control before he stands for reelection in November 2020.
Toomey was interviewed on ABC's "This Week," and Scott spoke on NBC's "Meet the Press."
___

Jul 9, 2009
"He said any measures must satisfy the competing goals of protecting public safety and the constitutional right to gun ownership and seemed to cast fresh doubt on the merits of instituting more thorough background checks for gun purchases. "

What are you proposing to stop all mass shootings?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
"He said any measures must satisfy the competing goals of protecting public safety and the constitutional right to gun ownership and seemed to cast fresh doubt on the merits of instituting more thorough background checks for gun purchases. "

Either you get rid of the guns or you get rid of the people. I know of one person already..

Last edited:
Reactions: njdevilsfan87

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
IMO, we've gone past the tipping point. I don't see how we are going to stop anyone from doing what they want.

Mental illness is on the rise
Guns are everywhere and prevalent
Having freedom is great, but comes with drawbacks
People are easily triggered anymore

So, unless we set up cameras on every corner, our names are in some type of registry, and the cops are allowed to come into your home unannounced and search for guns I don't see how this issue will ever be solved. It's not. This is just more feel good government bullshit. Look at us! we care about the general public. Trump is doing what he can to make America safe. Don't you feel safe? I told you Trump cared! Yea... I feel safe. Trump is kepping the bad guys away. I can now sleep at night. Yaaaaaaaahhhh!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
All we need is a minor tilt to the left that removes money from politics and returns democracy to the people.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

So let me get this straight just for the record! Now remember you can only have one choice......this has gone way beyond having your cake and eating It too...…….
You would rather have guns which granted are a constitutional right, in place of children being allowed to go to school without fear of being shot?
Families going out to dinner without fear of being shot?
Loved ones living their lives and accomplishing something without fear of being shot?
There is really no alternative argument ! It is very simple -- guns or no guns?
Children living with no fear of of being shot or children living in fear?
Guns or no guns?
I doubt you will answer this without some sort of deflection or stammering or changing the subject!

Last question -- Do we have a constitutional right to live without fear of being hurt, attacked or killed??

Peace!!

Last edited:
Reactions: imported_tajmahal

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
He'll come up with some asinine proposal that won't fly with anyone, refuse to do anything else, then blame Pelosi and the Democrats when nothing gets done.

Jul 9, 2009
So let me get this straight just for the record! Now remember you can only have one choice......this has gone way beyond having your cake and eating It too...…….
You would rather have guns which granted are a constitutional right, in place of children being allowed to go to school without fear of being shot?
Families going out to dinner without fear of being shot?
Loved ones living their lives and accomplishing something without fear of being shot?
There is really no alternative argument ! It is very simple -- guns or no guns?
Children living with no fear of of being shot or children living in fear?
Guns or no guns?
I doubt you will answer this without some sort of deflection or stammering or changing the subject!

Last question -- Do we have a constitutional right to live without fear of being hurt, attacked or killed??

Peace!!
Don't blame guns because children are indoctrinated to unreasonable fear. There's a far, far, far, far, far, far greater chance they'll be killed in a medical error from their Doctors or nurses in hospitals than they'll ever be injured with a firearm. (250,000 a year. Fear the Doctors!) Maybe we can start throwing some of them in jail.
https://www.modernhealthcare.com/ar...-250-000-a-year-but-problem-not-being-tracked

and NO, you don't have a Constitutional right to live without fear.

Reactions: njdevilsfan87
Jul 9, 2009
He'll come up with some asinine proposal that won't fly with anyone, refuse to do anything else, then blame Pelosi and the Democrats when nothing gets done.
You're just angry he left the "constitutional" caveat in his response, Obutthole could do it with his phone and a pen.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Stupid question. Laws against murder don't stop all murders.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Don't blame guns because children are indoctrinated to unreasonable fear. There's a far, far, far, far, far, far greater chance they'll be killed in a medical error from their Doctors or nurses in hospitals than they'll ever be injured with a firearm. (250,000 a year. Fear the Doctors!) Maybe we can start throwing some of them in jail.
https://www.modernhealthcare.com/ar...-250-000-a-year-but-problem-not-being-tracked

and NO, you don't have a Constitutional right to live without fear.

As predicted you did deflect! Nobody is talking about other forms of death....the deflection using medical error or being hit by a car or being killed by second hand smoke is just that it is a deflection that has nothing to do with this one point!!
Again name a choice.....your gun or people being killed for no reason other than somebody had access to a gun....

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It is unreasonable to fear your Armed neighbour just because other peoples Armed Neighbours keep shooting people. It is unreasonable to spend Tax $ on Mental Health. It is unreasonable to test the Fitness of a person to own a firearm. It is unreasonable to do anything, Freedom can not exist in a Society where mass shootings are not common place.

Stop being so unreasonable!

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Jul 9, 2009
As predicted you did deflect! Nobody is talking about other forms of death....the deflection using medical error or being hit by a car or being killed by second hand smoke is just that it is a deflection that has nothing to do with this one point!!
Again name a choice.....your gun or people being killed for no reason other than somebody had access to a gun....
You're the one abusing children by driving their fears of unlikely events.
I'll take the Constitution thank you.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You're the one abusing children by driving their fears of unlikely events.
I'll take the Constitution thank you.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "
It is people like you who hold constitution up in defense of not doing anything to halt these kilolings!
Your crowd accuse those who want something done of being the ones who instill fear in children when a chile is smart enough to put one plus one together.....I pity you!!
As Sandorski stated --
It is unreasonable to fear your Armed neighbour just because other peoples Armed Neighbours keep shooting people. It is unreasonable to spend Tax $ on Mental Health. It is unreasonable to test the Fitness of a person to own a firearm. It is unreasonable to do anything, Freedom can not exist in a Society where mass shootings are not common place.
Stop being so unreasonable!

Stand behind the Constitution like some freaking coward and continue to do nothing about gun violence in America!!
It is a sad day when a person is told - I am sorry that you lost your child, but the constitution says this person had a right to have that weapon and the Constitution trumps your right to have a living breathing child!!1
I don`t want all guns to be confiscated -- something needs to be done and it losers like you that are preventing that from happening!! Carry on Comrade!!

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
the trump show keeps rolling along.

Season One: Threatens nuclear war in the final episode.
Season Two: The guy he threatened to nuke is his best friend because he aired well.
Season Three: Previous plotline dropped, some nonsensical trade war plot instead.
Season Four: Eighty percent of the cast has been replaced and we’re going to the moon!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This is one of Trump's more blatant lies as of one hour after the last ones he made that day that either contradicted or doubled down on whatever he said and frankly he doesn't give a shit about it one way or another. Slippery Slick gonna slide his ass out of taking a stand once again.

It's one of those "meh, I'm going to say what needs to be said without pissing off my base and then ignore what I said the moment after I said it". Next!