Trump says he is halting funding for the World Health Organization

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You do realize that our president (that you desperately despise regardless of his decisions) made actions faster and more diligent than the WHO, right?

WHO is a giant piece of shit that serves zero purpose other than politically convincing morons.
If you would stop sucking Trump's ass for a moment...

Jan. 30, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus a global health emergency. WHO has only done so five times since gaining that power in 2005.

February 25
As Coronavirus ravages South Korea, Iran and Italy in late February, President Trump tweets the virus is under control and the stock market is starting to look very good.
“We’re very close to a vaccine,” he said on February 25.

Before you start sucking, please explain Trump's Feb 25 statement juxtoposed to WHO's warning Jan 30. Was Trump's statement anywhere close to the truth?

Now you can go back to sucking

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All the trashing of the WHO is based on bad information from China. Why has nobody mentioned holding China accountable? Why don't we keep flights to/from China closed until they eliminate those wet markets?

Did the WHO do everything correct? Probably not but China holds the majority of culpability for the virus's creation, initial spread, release and lack of transparency. WHO is too easy a punching bag.

Reactions: soundforbjt

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I would review the facts about the WHO in relation to China during the month of January. This editorial is making the case that both China and WHO are guilty of wrongdoing here.

While the author is likely conservative, he does present some facts. The factual meat of it is quoted below.

There's no way that China actually believed that "human-to-human transmission" wasn't happening as of January 14. If that's what they said, they lied. It seems WHO pretty much rubber stamped everything they said.

That's not an editorial. It's a slanted opinion piece from an editor or the right wing National Review. They bash China every chance they get.

Mar 11, 2004
LOL, I thought I did click on CNN - doh! Was trying to find the news source I read a few weeks ago where cremations were up by 10-20K in Hubei province. But, if that story is debunked - I recant.

I don't think its been debunked exactly, just that it never had much tangible to start with, while having a lot of hallmarks of conspiracy shit.

You notice Trump is no longer calling it China virus or Wuhan virus or any other China names, right? China put smack down on Trump. I'm pretty sure they told him to fuck off and if he kept saying it, they were going to withhold export of PPE from China. PPE supplies Trump desperately needed and wanted from China. China even made Trump apologize. Of course Trump made his half apology but that was amazing coming from Trump. China owned Trump and made him say uncle. Of course, no one talks about it but it's clear that's what happened behind the scenes.

Absolutely. I think it was more than that too (I don't think Turmp gives a shit about that stuff). China straight up threatened the US about a month or so ago when right wingers were doing their racist dogwhistling shit trying to rename it the China/Wuhan virus. I think they likely sent more firm threats through means that would be taken much more seriously and it got the message to Turmp.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they just threatened to shut down the daughters branded shit. Seems like Turmp would take that threat seriously.

I would agree that it seems the WHO needs new leadership. Good summary of the missteps here:

BUT I would counter that cutting funding is exactly the wrong strategy. This is what happens when idiots like Trump (and his GOP predecessors in Congress) reject the United Nations and take a nativist "America First" tack to world affairs. We end up losing our leadership position, and the WHO gets weaker as a result. As the article points out, we haven't had a US rep on the WHO board since 2018. I guess it just wasn't a priority for this Administration until the coronavirus erupted. China has become quite adept at stepping in whenever the US backs down from the world stage. Trumpism has helped China establish their own world order and undermine human rights.

So, those of you who cheer a weaker United Nations and defunding whatever we don't agree with--well this is the result.

Exactly, that will just make them even more under the influence of China and others. And it has basically no benefits for us, and very likely has very real negative consequences.

Its not like we can claim some moral superiority here. Our President has been nothing but a raging shitheaded buffoon for the entirety of this crisis. He actively has done all the things that people bitching about the WHO are claiming is why they're doing that, many of them openly defending Turmp at every turn as well.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You linked a timeline? I wonder when it starts? Hmm.
If you actually looked at it you would know. Better yet, if you read people's reply fully, you would have seen it. It starts on the WHO's involvement, which so happens to be the end of December.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
All the trashing of the WHO is based on bad information from China. Why has nobody mentioned holding China accountable? Why don't we keep flights to/from China closed until they eliminate those wet markets?

Did the WHO do everything correct? Probably not but China holds the majority of culpability for the virus's creation, initial spread, release and lack of transparency. WHO is too easy a punching bag.
Bingo. Look at it from the WHO’s perspective. They have a potential epidemic and China is stonewalling. Which causes less damage, moderating their stance towards China to get access and information or call them out for their reticence to be transparent and continue to be stonewalled.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You do realize that our president (that you desperately despise regardless of his decisions) made actions faster and more diligent than the WHO, right?

WHO is a giant piece of shit that serves zero purpose other than politically convincing morons.

Nah. The WHO told, not just Trump, but all Western governments to take this thing seriously, but few of them did.

It's a difficult one because I don't think the WHO is blameless, I think it's a flawed organisation (and does indeed seem scared of upsetting China), but despite its obviously distorted incentives it responded far more rationally than the Trump administration did. You just have to be capable of thinking for yourself and take its flaws into consideration when evaluating what it's saying. It's not capable of doing national government's jobs for them. All international organisations are messy compromises.

I think restricting travel from China was the one correct call Trump made, and that falls under the 'stopped clock' aphorism, because it fitted with his existing prejudices (fortunate the virus outbreak didn't start in Russia). Everything else he got wrong (and he's still getting everything wrong).

And your description above better fits the Republican party.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That's not an editorial. It's a slanted opinion piece from an editor or the right wing National Review. They bash China every chance they get.

I know who he is. I said as much in my post. Opinion pieces by nature are "slanted." Whatever else it contains, it presents a number specific factual allegations. I checked. China did indeed claim on 1/14 that there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission. There is no chance they could have actually come to that conclusion on 1/14 with the information they had. They lied.

Are you going to focus on the facts?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I'll give it to trump, he is good as deflecting. Anyone actually think trump gives a crap about the chump change we contribute to the WHO?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I would agree that it seems the WHO needs new leadership. Good summary of the missteps here:

BUT I would counter that cutting funding is exactly the wrong strategy. This is what happens when idiots like Trump (and his GOP predecessors in Congress) reject the United Nations and take a nativist "America First" tack to world affairs. We end up losing our leadership position, and the WHO gets weaker as a result. As the article points out, we haven't had a US rep on the WHO board since 2018. I guess it just wasn't a priority for this Administration until the coronavirus erupted. China has become quite adept at stepping in whenever the US backs down from the world stage. Trumpism has helped China establish their own world order and undermine human rights.

So, those of you who cheer a weaker United Nations and defunding whatever we don't agree with--well this is the result.
Money talks. I'm sure the other WHO members will quickly replace Tedros if it brings back USA dollars, which they were benefitting from disproportionally because USA was spending so much more than any other WHO member.

I don't know if Trump / USA gave any such ultimatum...but we should.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I agree with the perspective that the WHO,and really all international organizations, are flawed because they often have to deal with countries with leadership and values diametrically opposed to our own. An org with a single core purpose like the WHO is not going to let "petty" world politics in the way of pursuing its core mission At the end of the day however, these organizations have been a net positive for the world over the last 70 years and have allowed coordination among countries that would otherwise be non-existant.

This move to defund the WHO is an enormous strategic and moral failure on our part, and is the kind of thing done by a leader that is stuck 30 years in the past thinking that the US is the only game in town.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I support the move. Who knows how many millions Tedros Adhanom took in as personal bribes from China. These guys are corrupt as hell.

You think The Who has the ability to just go into any country? Why would China need to bribe him when they don’t need to let anyone in.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump is withholding funding to the World Health Organization. He said, "The group had promoted China’s “disinformation” about the virus". "it would have been so easy for them to tell the truth." .... Lol!...comedy gold!. That's coming from someone who has spread anti vaxxer memes and the number one adherent to ... and spreader of birtherism. Hey, A cult leader knows his followers.

His main reason for defunding:

Blame deflectors engaged Captain!, deployed and operational!...None of this is my fault!...I take no responsibility at all! It's Trump's play book. A cult leader knows his followers.

Having said that...The WHO have been slowly colonized by China in the past years or so (Trumps power vacuum, Xi will step in with the funding). They seem to be bending over backwards to support the Chinese and they are strenuously avoiding criticism of China. Their response to the pandemic in its early stages (January-February) has left a lot to be desired and they have completely excluded and ignored Taiwan, even though Taiwan is one of the few success stories when it comes to prevention and management of COVID-19.

Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, a guy with a pretty shady record, including cover-ups of epidemics in his native Ethiopia. Also keep in mind that Ethiopia happens to be one of the biggest recipients of Chinese investments in Africa and their relationship with China is more than good, as their UN voting record on China-related issues shows.

Totally cutting funding is not actually going to bring about the changes that will be needed. Depriving WHO of US dollars isn't the solution. Better to have a seat at the table to investigate WHO's multiple failing versus using Trump's usual bluster.

He needs to get into a fight with someone, anyone, to hide the fact that he doesn't have a clue how to handle the current crisis. He also realized that fighting with the state governors was a losing proposition. So here we are.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
who%20funding.png

That's lot of dollars WHO will not get from the US. Hopefully, this leads to Tedros Adhanom resigning or stepping down from his Director-General position. If I was Trump, that's the condition I would put on the funding. Remove Tedros and get funding. Keep him and get nothing.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay