Trump says he is halting funding for the World Health Organization

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
100% this. The WHO did nothing but make it worse by accepting and repeating everything China said in the beginning. Tedros is Xi Jinping's flunkie.

Admonishing USA for stopping flights from Wuhan was just unforgivably stupid.

The USA needs to start funding WHO again the moment this guy is gone.

The best part is that it wasn't really a travel ban, anyway-

But they hurt Donnie's Fee-fees, so they must be punished, obviously. That's unforgivable.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The best part is that it wasn't really a travel ban, anyway-

But they hurt Donnie's Fee-fees, so they must be punished, obviously. That's unforgivable.
He didn't ban Americans from Wuhan/China immediately for obvious reasons. We couldn't leave them stranded in China. Let them come home and quarantine / observe closely.

Reactions: pcgeek11

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
100% this. The WHO did nothing but make it worse by accepting and repeating everything China said in the beginning. Tedros is Xi Jinping's flunkie.

Admonishing USA for stopping flights from Wuhan was just unforgivably stupid.

The USA needs to start funding WHO again the moment this guy is gone.
Even if what you say is true, Trump will never re-start the funding...

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
He didn't ban Americans from Wuhan/China immediately for obvious reasons. We couldn't leave them stranded in China. Let them come home and quarantine / observe closely.
ahahahahaaaaa....Ichinisan said a funny!! rofl-dog.gif

Mar 11, 2004
That's like asking for evidence of all the bribes Trump took. We all know Trump is corrupt as hell and took millions in bribes. I'm almost certain Trump tipped off his insiders and friends to his market moving tweets the past 3 years as Presidents so they could front run.

This viral video says all that needs to be said about WHO.

Were you the one trying to claim that people shouldn't get vaccinated because of anti-biotic resistance in diseases?

Mar 11, 2004
What a STUPID time to do this. I have my own doubts about China's transparency**; and I wouldn't be surprised to find that in some ways the WHO is compromised, but seriously NOW.
Wait, I'm in a Trump thread, 10s shocked :rolleyes:

** https://www.ccn.com/billionaire-whistleblower-wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll-is-over-50000/ and others.

I'm not sure if you thought that was CNN or something, but I'm pretty sure that's the same shit that right wing sites were trying to spread awhile back (alongside the 25 million accounts removed from some Chinese telecom company).

I wouldn't consider that a legit news source, and that claim is not new.

Oh its a bitcoin media entity (with apparently some shady stuff last year, possibly having been bought by a PR firm based in UAE). Full of op-eds including "invest in gold" and other nonsense.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm not sure if you thought that was CNN or something, but I'm pretty sure that's the same shit that right wing sites were trying to spread awhile back (alongside the 25 million accounts removed from some Chinese telecom company).

I wouldn't consider that a legit news source, and that claim is not new.
LOL, I thought I did click on CNN - doh! Was trying to find the news source I read a few weeks ago where cremations were up by 10-20K in Hubei province. But, if that story is debunked - I recant.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

lol. Apologist apologize.

He didn't even read the linked piece. The sad truth is that the virus escaped China in December before they really understood what they were dealing with. It's completely unreasonable to demand that they should have figured it out between Dec 1 & Dec 31, when they announced it to the world. They went to extraordinary lengths to limit the spread with methods Americans wouldn't even begin to put up with. So have Taiwan & S Korea. They all had a plan. Trump's plan is to power bullshit his way thru it like everything else.

I honestly suspect that the reason we don't have more testing is that we simply don't have the manufacturing capacity to do it more than we are, same as PPE &ventilators. The forces of Capitalism offshored it long ago. Policy completely ignored the idea that such capacity and stockpiles were actually a strategic resource. The GOP won't fund such things. Shee-it. Don't need no public health bullshit in Libertopia, anyway.

OTOH, we def have the means & supplies to bomb the shit out of motherfuckers most anywhere on a day's notice, tops. Priorities!

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I would review the facts about the WHO in relation to China during the month of January. This editorial is making the case that both China and WHO are guilty of wrongdoing here.

While the author is likely conservative, he does present some facts. The factual meat of it is quoted below.

On Jan. 14, WHO tweeted that “preliminary investigations” by Chinese authorities had found no evidence of human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus. Several days later, it reported “limited” human-to-human transmission, although it downplayed the finding as typical of respiratory illnesses. So, the WHO endorsed China’s narrative during the crucial early days of its cover-up.

Then, the WHO declined to call the outbreak in China a public health emergency of international concern on Jan. 22, at the same time there were confirmed cases in Taiwan, Australia, Japan, Thailand, and South Korea. After the WHO finally declared the emergency, it proceeded to drag its feet on declaring a pandemic, waiting until March 12.

One of the worst things China did was seal off Hubei province from the rest of the country while flights continued around the world. Was the WHO concerned about that? No, it was fully on board. As a headline in Reuters put it in early February, “WHO chief says widespread travel bans not needed to beat China virus.”

In the course of issuing stern warnings against travel restrictions, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus opined that if “it weren’t for China, the number of cases outside China would have been very much higher.” At the time, a Chinese official harshly criticized travel restrictions, reminding everyone that “all these measures are seriously against recommendation by the WHO.”

Incredibly enough, in late January, Tedros was praising Chinese officials for “the transparency they have demonstrated.” A team of experts lauded China’s response after a mid-February visit to Wuhan, contributing to Beijing’s storyline that it succeeded in containing the virus where everyone else has failed. Despite the emerging consensus that China has lied about its number of cases and deaths, and despite China’s refusal to share key information about the virus, WHO hasn’t said a discouraging word about China’s actions.

There's no way that China actually believed that "human-to-human transmission" wasn't happening as of January 14. If that's what they said, they lied. It seems WHO pretty much rubber stamped everything they said.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
You do realize that our president (that you desperately despise regardless of his decisions) made actions faster and more diligent than the WHO, right?

WHO is a giant piece of shit that serves zero purpose other than politically convincing morons.

Nov 8, 2012
I would review the facts about the WHO in relation to China during the month of January. This editorial is making the case that both China and WHO are guilty of wrongdoing here.

While the author is likely conservative, he does present some facts. The factual meat of it is quoted below.

You're not supposed to read, support, or acknowledge any opinions that do not:
-Worship global organizations such as WHO
-Acknowledge any evidence or facts concerning virus' originating in China
-Question anything that might coincidentally support ANYTHING that Trump may have condemned. This means you support him. That is a big no-no. You now love China. You must now condemn anyone who calls it "China Coronavirus" or "Wuhan Coronavirus" because... reasons....

Needless to say - we will need to quarantine you for questioning facts. Why do you question facts?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
-Question anything that might coincidentally support ANYTHING that Trump may have condemned. This means you support him. That is a big no-no. You now love China. You must now condemn anyone who calls it "China Coronavirus" or "Wuhan Coronavirus" because... reasons....

Needless to say - we will need to quarantine you for questioning facts. Why do you question facts?
Actually the problem has been people claiming they are posting facts without actually providing sources or evidence. “I heard it on a you tube video that you need to google for” isn’t exactly providing sources.

So sorry your feels got fucked at some point.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

You notice Trump is no longer calling it China virus or Wuhan virus or any other China names, right? China put smack down on Trump. I'm pretty sure they told him to fuck off and if he kept saying it, they were going to withhold export of PPE from China. PPE supplies Trump desperately needed and wanted from China. China even made Trump apologize. Of course Trump made his half apology but that was amazing coming from Trump. China owned Trump and made him say uncle. Of course, no one talks about it but it's clear that's what happened behind the scenes.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
You notice Trump is no longer calling it China virus or Wuhan virus or any other China names, right? China put smack down on Trump. I'm pretty sure they told him to fuck off and if he kept saying it, they were going to withhold export of PPE from China. PPE supplies Trump desperately needed and wanted from China. China even made Trump apologize. Of course Trump made his half apology but that was amazing coming from Trump. China owned Trump and made him say uncle. Of course, no one talks about it but it's clear that's what happened behind the scenes.
At work this week we suddenly had plenty of N95s... amazing.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I would agree that it seems the WHO needs new leadership. Good summary of the missteps here:

BUT I would counter that cutting funding is exactly the wrong strategy. This is what happens when idiots like Trump (and his GOP predecessors in Congress) reject the United Nations and take a nativist "America First" tack to world affairs. We end up losing our leadership position, and the WHO gets weaker as a result. As the article points out, we haven't had a US rep on the WHO board since 2018. I guess it just wasn't a priority for this Administration until the coronavirus erupted. China has become quite adept at stepping in whenever the US backs down from the world stage. Trumpism has helped China establish their own world order and undermine human rights.

So, those of you who cheer a weaker United Nations and defunding whatever we don't agree with--well this is the result.