Trump says he doesn't care about predicted US national debt explosion because ‘I won't be here’

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What does Andrew Cuomo (I assume you mean Andrew) have to do with Donald Trump weaseling out of a criminal conviction with the assistance of a large, extremely well-paid legal team and a certain amount of fundamental, if quiet, sympathy-on-the-street for "Donald Trump the real estate developer" versus "Donald Trump the 'embarrassing' politician"?

Trump will have his fortune stripped and NYis already going after his financials. Back in the late 70's and 80's sure, Trump was hot. He might have taken the state in a Presidential race but Hillary who wasn't exactly the golden goddess beat him by more than 20 percent.

Perhaps you underestimate the Emperor of New York in terms of power. Remember the SAFE act where Cuomo (obviously Andrew) created law out of his ass and allowed no debate and intentionally prevented public input on a major piece of legislation simply because in his mind it was too important for what passed for democratic process to interfere with his fiat?

If our state law agencies bring felony charges then the judge sentences, not the jury, not the fed- a judge answerable to the powers of NY.

Reactions: Bitek

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Mind you, if you really wanted to make Trump's life miserable, just cut off his internet access and Fox News. He'll be despondent within 24 hours.

Without Fox News, would the President even have thoughts of his own? Would he remember how?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Obama and company spent years reducing our deficit following the 2008 disaster.

Trump and company are increasing our deficit.

The facts and figures say otherwise.

Just a few things to note.

Bush took over a good economy with a balanced budget from Clinton, cut taxes for rich and increased the debt 101%

Obama took over an economy that was melting down and increased debt 74%. Deficit was going down when Obama left.

Trump took over a good economy, cut taxes for the rich and the deficit is spiking...

Rinse and repeat

Clinton did a great job.

Bush had 9/11 to contend with. You can’t expect to fight a war on terror with no money.

You can say when Trump took office the deficit went down which may or may not be due to Obama’s efforts. You can’t say Trump is blowing up the deficit because it’s hardly moved since he took office.

You can say the economy Obama had to deal with is why the deficit increased so much. However it literally doubled under him and there are no great ‘projects’ built by him to show for it.

Last edited:

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
51384-Figure1-HomePage.png

53651-home-cover.png

All readily available from the CBO website:
https://www.cbo.gov/topics/budget

Reactions: Bitek

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I just did and it says under Obama $10 trillion dollar increase.

Under Trump $1.5 trillion.

What am I missing?

You're missing the fact that Trump & the GOP have reversed the trend of lower deficits YOY that Obama established.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
The thing I want to point out with the CBO actual debt changes is the rate of change. It is true that the total debt increased under Obama - but look at the rate of increase - by the time he left office, he handed a gem of starting point to Trump - There was a perfect opportunity to change the pace. Now take a look at the projections under "current law." Debt is increasing again. this is coming from the current Congress with Republicans at the helm.

Check out the other graph - No doubt deficits were ridiculously high in 2008 - no point in disputing that - it clearly is marked on the chart - that is the Great Recession - if we didn't spent we would have collapsed. Now follow the trend for the subsequent years - see a pattern? now take a look at the projected forecast, again based on current law. Again see a trend?

We can cherry-pick data points all we want - the point of the matter is our income does not match our expenses. Whether we increase taxes or decrease our expenses there is one certainty - unless we change our current habits in this government we will end up just like Italy and be forced into austerity measures. Personally, I don't like the fact that China, or any other country for that matter, owns our debt.

We want to make america great again? how about we learn to control our income and expenses followed by appropriate support for the great people of this country with measures to ensure health and well-being without discriminating against those who look different. this country was founded on the principle "all men and women are created equal." Granted, we are not there yet, but we have made a heck-of-a-lot of progress since the time of slavery and we still have a long way to go.

We want to stop welfare moms, mass shooting, crime, illegal drugs, etc? Then we need to look at supporting families and teaching parents how to raise children and support them in the process. the rich don't need help and if you want to be scriptural about it, didn't Jesus say, "the healthy don't need a doctor?" The middle and low class are suffering and suffering at the expense of paying off the rich. Here's another graph that puts things into perspective:

WealthPercentiles.jpg

Reactions: Bitek and paperfist

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
You're missing the fact that Trump & the GOP have reversed the trend of lower deficits YOY that Obama established.

I'm just going to use your own quote against you:

You clearly believe things that aren't true-

Reversed the trend? According to your own chart Obama added $8,335,071,012,541.80 to the debt. Prior to that the debt stood at $9,007,653,372,262.48 for all other presidents combined! Maybe on a planet with no gravity you can say that's a reversal...

You're asking me to predict the future. If the future is predicted by the projections in this forum then Trump will be impeached Dec 31, 2018 and his budget spending will remain $1.5 Trillion to Obama's $10 Trillion.

If I take your chart and apply my non-mathematician abilities to it I get this:

Obama 2009 $11,909,829,003,511.75
2017 $20,244,900,016,053.51
Total $8,335,071,012,541.80

Trump 2017 $20,244,900,016,053.51
2018 $21,516,058,183,180.23
Total $1,271,158,167,126.70

So Obama on average added $1,041,883,876,567.72 to the debt each year. Trump so far isn't blowing up the debt by your standards.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Except that $9 trillion in debt Obama spent was more than all previous presidents combined.

All that money he spent on health care is driving costs UP.

Car manufacturers bailed out are now going to be laying off workers.

That was pretty responsible spending.

When Obama left office the debt was $20 trillion. It’s gone up $1.5 since Trump took office. That doesn’t sound like someone not caring about the debt.

And from the same OP article:

“As recently as last month, The Washington Post reported the president had urged staff to draw up a list of wide-ranging government cuts to drive spending down.”

There is a reason behind the layoffs. Hint: (what are vehicles mainly made of?)

Bush before him went through 2 recessions...

Even if Trump is a nut job you can't compare what he's doing with final results especially when we are going on unnamed sources.

I'm all in favor of increasing taxes on 'rich' people, but not in a way that Ocasio-Cortez would probably do it.

I think they say rich people will always be rich because they know how. You give a million dollars to everyone and those that were poor before will be poor afterward, the rich will invest it and remain rich.

Your last line you're talking about rich people or our presidents?

Not sure how it saved us money? If you even look in the OT forum here you'll see people sacked with $6,000 or more health care plans not including deductibles. I know on my end self pay has even gone up.

Good point, on one hand if you let them fail people will be out of work and as you see if you bail them out people will be out of work. Though Ford as far as I'm aware didn't get bailed out and aren't laying anyone off.

In my line of work I am often wondering how these people have managed to make the money they make and cannot figure out how to hook up a television set to a cable box, set up a router or program a remote control.

The ones that were "bailed out" ( it was loans) have payed back the taxpayers. Ford did not accept any government assistance but are still laying off last I heard was 3 plants. Ford has stated that they have lost 1 BILLION in profit over the tariff pissing match.
I am sure you could probably do some searching for Ford's estimate on layoff numbers.

Yes, I want us to be less debt burdened and not dependant on other countries. What in essence people here are saying is that it's Trump's fault and responsibility to get us out of massive debt that was largely the responsibility of his predecessor.

Obama's debt increase was rather deep though, cheer? Whatever the number you want to settle on for debt Obama created there's no way that kind of money can be lauded as well spent for the results it created. To be fair it's government spending the money so it never spent as well as the private sector.

The ACA started off well under Obama, but it's no longer in that state now.

If you're going to invest billions of dollars in a car company shouldn't they be lasting especially if you're saying the money Obama spent produced an excellent return on the dollar?

Like I said, Trump was quoted as saying otherwise in the same article that said he didn't care. Only time will tell.

Would investing billions in the car manufacturing industry in America, to have that investment payed back with interest, be considered an excellent return?
The longevity of that investment being in danger due to Executive Orders that equate to EPEEN be an issue?

Edit: fix typo

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
If our state law agencies bring felony charges then the judge sentences, not the jury, not the fed- a judge answerable to the powers of NY.
After a jury convicts.

Frankly, I'm not going to even try to respond to the rest of your post except to say that I think it exhibits a rather, er, fantasy-based understanding of NYS politics and the power of money in our, er, fair city and state...

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Reversed the trend? According to your own chart Obama added $8,335,071,012,541.80 to the debt. Prior to that the debt stood at $9,007,653,372,262.48 for all other presidents combined! Maybe on a planet with no gravity you can say that's a reversal...

You're asking me to predict the future. If the future is predicted by the projections in this forum then Trump will be impeached Dec 31, 2018 and his budget spending will remain $1.5 Trillion to Obama's $10 Trillion.

So Obama on average added $1,041,883,876,567.72 to the debt each year. Trump so far isn't blowing up the debt by your standards.
Your propaganda source is giving you a lump sum, and you are intentionally ignoring the entire point that is being made.
The word you don't understand is "trend"

UEnder GWB, the deficet grew to record levels.
Each year, under Obama, the deficit was reduced.

Yes, the total balance of the debt increased, but, the year over year deficit was reduced.

The TREND under obama was decreased spending & increased revenue.

Reactions: DaaQ

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Your propaganda source is giving you a lump sum, and you are intentionally ignoring the entire point that is being made.

Yes, the total balance of the debt increased, but, the year over year deficit was reduced.

He's just being purposefully obtuse and intellectually dishonest......as usual for his ilk.

Reactions: UberNeuman

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018

You are missing the point that Trump's tax cuts will not reach maturity until after 2024 when it's possible for a Democratic President may be holding office.
The Republican controlled House and Senate are not stupid in how they designed this tax cut to balloon the deficit years from now when they can use it as a rallying cry to reign in government spending in case they lose the Senate and Executive branch.
See 2010 cycle. An example would be with the law they passed forcing the post office to finance retirement pensions 75 years in advance. With a requirement that it be fully funded by x amount of years from the date of enactment.

Please don't also forget that ALL appropriations, ie budget spending, MUST originate from the House of Representatives. So from 2010 up through whenever the new Congress is sworn in and takes office, ALL spending has come from the majority controlled Republican Congress.
Only thing Obama or Trump for that matter, can do is Veto or sign it. Who gets the blame for shutting down the government? Depends on what media bubble you happen to be stuck in.

Edit: removed double quote

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Hi asshole. You acknowledged that Obama spent so much money in order to dig us out of the recession. Why is Trump spending a similar amount per year?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Thank you.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
After a jury convicts.

Frankly, I'm not going to even try to respond to the rest of your post except to say that I think it exhibits a rather, er, fantasy-based understanding of NYS politics and the power of money in our, er, fair city and state...

As a NYS'er I know we love nothing more than a good public hanging of people like Trump. He's not even a footnote compared to Gotti and Locascio, convicted in a NY court by a NY in less than 14 hours by people who rightly be fearful for their lives. Trump is comic relief by comparison.

But it may be that NY has to wait if Adam Schiff is right. Trump may be arrested the moment he leaves office.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
the good thing is no criminal will ever want to be president again.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As a NYS'er I know we love nothing more than a good public hanging of people like Trump. He's not even a footnote compared to Gotti and Locascio, convicted in a NY court by a NY in less than 14 hours by people who rightly be fearful for their lives. Trump is comic relief by comparison.

But it may be that NY has to wait if Adam Schiff is right. Trump may be arrested the moment he leaves office.

Trump's corruption affects more Americans than Gotti's ever did.

Hell- Trump is international, affecting the whole world.

Recall who put Gotti away, as well...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

He's also ignoring the health of the economy when each took over. Democrats had to fix what the Republicans broke. Trump is repeating the cycle of giving tax breaks to the rich, deficit spikes and the Democrats will be left to fix.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Wonder why Trump's budget deficit is going to hit >$1T in 2020, two years earlier than projected when tax cut passed? Deficits to hit over $1T per year in a booming economy....imagine if a Democrat had done that, instead of Democrats having to clean up Republican budget messes, over and over and over. (And this revision of the budget deficit was done in Apr. '18, and quietly......can't upset the Trumptards.)

U.S. Deficit to Surpass $1 Trillion Two Years Ahead of Estimates, CBO Says

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...cit-to-balloon-to-1-trillion-by-2020-cbo-says

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Bush had 9/11 to contend with. You can’t expect to fight a war on terror with no money.

Yeesh. The sole purpose of the "war on terror" was to give the butthurt American pride something to beat on.

Iraq II did far more to fuel extremism and was a dumb idea on paper even before Iraq was invaded, and neither Iraq or Afghanistan had anything to do with 9/11.

There's no "benefit of hindsight" argument here or legitimate defence of America's actions.

If they had wanted to go into Afghanistan to affect a not-quite-regime-change for the sheer principle of it (ensuring decent education for all and the net benefit of another prospering nation at the global table), that would be something, but then that would have been something that needed to be effectively planned for with a long-term set of potential plans that each span a few decades as well as the economical investment required so that the American economy could handle such a campaign come what may, not to mention realistic funding for the aftermath of sending thousands of troops into a war-like scenario, and not to mention that if they wanted to make such changes in Afghanistan then there would probably be another 50 such countries to do the same in, and while they're at it, why not invest some more in American education?