Trump says he could meet with North Korea’s leader

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don't think he has any actual idea of what he's saying at any given time. It's just all stream of consciousness rambling coupled with a profound ignorance of the world outside his old bubble.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't think he has any actual idea of what he's saying at any given time. It's just all stream of consciousness rambling coupled with a profound ignorance of the world outside his old bubble.

That's the thing. It's not that he offered to meet with Kim at all, Obama said he would in 2007 and there would be conditions. No, the thing is that he changes from a tone from war to "I'd be honored" in a moment. Bizarre.

Reactions: cytg111

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I present you exhibit A. It really does explain all things Trump.
Although, you can still meet people you're threatening. That's how you make a better deal.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That's the thing. It's not that he offered to meet with Kim at all, Obama said he would in 2007 and there would be conditions. No, the thing is that he changes from a tone from war to "I'd be honored" in a moment. Bizarre.

Many Presidents have met with authoritarian leaders, even ones we didn't get along with. I don't recall any modern president openly praising such people repeatedly and consistently.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

It's not that he's meeting with Kim is an issue in itself and Obama made a similar offer back in 2007 but that Trump went from getting all military whoop ass on Kim one day and is "honored" the next. Whiplash is unpleasant.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Although, you can still meet people you're threatening. That's how you make a better deal.

The point has been made by some people that he truly has no beliefs, philosophy, or intellectual structure underpinning his actions. Only things that are expedient for the perception of his yuuuuge success or otherwise ego boosting are worthy of attention.

Thus far the great dealmaker can't even carry his own party let alone the foreign governments though.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If I recall there was handwringing on the right when then candidate Obama said he would "talk" with our enemies. Must be another one of those conservative "philosophical policy flips" now that Obama is out of office.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
If I recall there was handwringing on the right when then candidate Obama said he would "talk" with our enemies. Must be another one of those conservative "philosophical policy flips" now that Obama is out of office.

Trump isn't a Conservative though as he has no philosophy. If the "deal" meant being anti gun and pro abortion he'd make that swap in a moment. Start a war one minute and honored the next. Think of Trump as an protist with orange flagella. Moving with chemotaxis he goes to whatever source of "nourishment" requires the least expenditure of reserves to acquire. It doesn't matter if the food has an ideology at all. Naturally Conservatives will not like this at all however the way power plays out they cannot afford to beat the drums loudly at all.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Thus far the great dealmaker can't even carry his own party let alone the foreign governments though.

"His party" is a hell of a stretch. He's more like an infection they picked up by wadding through the mud for so long.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's not that he's meeting with Kim is an issue in itself and Obama made a similar offer back in 2007 but that Trump went from getting all military whoop ass on Kim one day and is "honored" the next. Whiplash is unpleasant.

Yes, talking to people should never be viewed as a bad thing. I never understood why conservatives were mad at Obama for saying he would talk to people. Talking costs very little!

I think my main concern with Trump here is that I have no confidence in him as a dealmaker or a negotiator. He simply lacks sufficient knowledge of the issues to intelligently negotiate and he shows no capacity or desire to learn them. It's probably better if he doesn't try because he will likely lose. This has shown up repeatedly when he keeps getting rolled in negotiations in Congress.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think my main concern with Trump here is that I have no confidence in him as a dealmaker or a negotiator. He simply lacks sufficient knowledge of the issues to intelligently negotiate and he shows no capacity or desire to learn them. It's probably better if he doesn't try because he will likely lose. This has shown up repeatedly when he keeps getting rolled in negotiations in Congress.

Can't wait to see the total debacle that the NAFTA negotiations will turn out to be. I expect the US will end up with LESS generous terms than we have now.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

This. The unpredictability. Deeply disturbing.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

The only thing the guy has been remotely successful at was a reality TV show for a season. His entire MO is to keep people in suspense or on guard for what surprise has in store for them. While that's a fine tactic to keep an alcoholic housewife enthralled, it doesn't really scale up to an international political stage quite so well.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
C30-1SUUcAAc38f.jpg

I for one would welcome viewing this illustrious meeting of the minds.

Reactions: Meghan54