Trump said ‘samurai’ Japan should have shot down overflying North Korean missiles

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
At least he didn't go around calling everyone "Charlie" while gifting them with fuji cameras because "He's been told that the Japanese people are very found of taking pictures with cameras".

Trump said ‘samurai’ Japan should have shot down overflying North Korean missiles
Kyodo, Staff Report

WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump has said Japan should have shot down the North Korean missiles that flew over the country before landing in the Pacific Ocean earlier this year, diplomatic sources have said, despite the difficulties and potential ramifications of doing so.

The revelation came ahead of Trump’s arrival in Japan on Sunday at the start of his five-nation trip to Asia. Threats from North Korea’s nuclear weapons and missile development programs were set to be high on the agenda in his talks with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Monday.

Trump questioned Japan’s decision not to shoot down the missiles when he met or spoke by phone with leaders from Southeast Asian countries over recent months to discuss how to respond to the threats from North Korea, the sources said.

The U.S. president said he could not understand why a country of samurai warriors did not shoot down the missiles, the sources said.

In defiance of international sanctions imposed to compel Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear weapons and missile development programs, North Korea test-launched ballistic missiles on Aug. 29 and Sept. 15 that flew over Hokkaido before falling into the Pacific Ocean.

However, the Self-Defense Forces did not try to intercept the missiles, with the government saying the SDF had monitored the rockets from launch and judged they would not land on Japanese territory.

But the altitude and speed of the missiles would have made it very difficult to destroy them in flight, while failure would have been embarrassing for Japan and encouraging to North Korea.

Defense Ministry officials confirmed this view and said there were also legal issues to clear.

On Sept. 3, the North conducted its sixth and most powerful nuclear test by detonating what it said was a hydrogen bomb that could be mounted on an intercontinental ballistic missile.

While the United States and its allies and partners have been pressing North Korea to denuclearize, the Trump administration says it is keeping all options — including military action — on the table in dealing with the situation.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-overflying-north-korea-missiles#.Wf-MJohrxaQ

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well I know that I didn't expect him not to completely embarrass our country while on his little international golf vacation.

Reactions: Chocu1a

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
giphy.gif

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yup, MAGA really makes us look great to the world with our awesome president who's so much smarter than everyone else out there.

/s

Feb 4, 2009
While it doesn't sound out of character and it's totally believable, I'm having trouble finding Trump saying this anywhere else.
Suspected fake news

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
New outlets might be busy trying to cover the monthly "White guy kills a bunch of people" story.
Pretty typical cover these days. Non-terrorist white guy kills a bunch of people in an act absolutely not like terrorism in anyway.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Pretty typical cover these days. Non-terrorist white guy kills a bunch of people in an act absolutely not like terrorism in anyway.

There is always going to be that lull where everyone is waiting for the big 3 to be answered.
"Has funny name?"
"Is brown?"
"Said Allah in past 12 months?"

Plus there is no point in pushing out non related stories because everyone is on social media liking everyone else's "Thoughts and prayers" posts.
I was honestly surprised there were Americans posting on here
We're supposed to be liking stuff with prayer emojiis and stuff.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Actually i think we should shoot down their missiles immediately after they are launched. Eventually they would figure out they would never be able to successfully attack anyone.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Actually i think we should shoot down their missiles immediately after they are launched. Eventually they would figure out they would never be able to successfully attack anyone.
But (as the article stated) one failure and they're emboldened, and our side is embarrassed. Missile interception is hardly reliable enough to sway anyone's policies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I swear this man is getting DUMBER every day he spends in office!

Maybe he should stay at the golf course......

Reactions: KMFJD

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Someone tell him they haven't had any samurai in Japan for 150 years. And while they're at it, they should also remind him to put on his pants before he leaves in the morning, and make sure he ate all his vegetables.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I swear this man is getting DUMBER every day he spends in office!

Maybe he should stay at the golf course......
I heard on some news show that they canceled an interview on 60 Minutes this year because he’s lost a step since winning the election, have no idea if it’s true but I wouldn’t doubt it b

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Didn't trump at one point try and claim that anti ballistic missile systems have a 97%?? Probability of shooting down incoming NK missiles? Because that sort of thing is really easy to do especially in the movies with CGI and stuff.

Even though in real life shooting down missiles is a little bit more difficult than what the defence contractors are telling the Donald during power point presentations?

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I can picture that power point presentation. There would be lots of stick figures and slides that have "pew, pew, pew" on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meghan54

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Wonder if Trump visited the women's panty vending machine while in Japan.

Trump: Let me put this dollar in this here machine.

Vending Machine: "Your dollar bill too crinkly."

Trump: Let me try again.

Vending Machine : "You too funny."

Got that bit from Family Guy. :)

Reactions: Meghan54

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
You guys act like Trump is supposed to come out speaking like an educated man ....tsk tsk. He is the product of privileged wealth superiority and Vietnam War era bone spurs proving that money buys a whole lot of stuff.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You guys act like Trump is supposed to come out speaking like an educated man ....tsk tsk. He is the product of privileged wealth superiority and Vietnam War era bone spurs proving that money buys a whole lot of stuff.

He did spend quite a bit of time in school so that is not a lot to expect.