Trump paid $750 in taxes in 2016 and 2017.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Everyone does their best to pay the least amount of taxes every year. Why should Trump be any different? People purchase rental property and other things to have tax write offs. If Trump had paid 2 million dollars every year, would that make him look smart? Most of the richest companies pay very little taxes. This just tells me that Trump is smart and knows how to work the system. We can all take a lesson from him on how to pay as little tax as possible.

Did you forget the sarcasm tag?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Everyone does their best to pay the least amount of taxes every year. Why should Trump be any different? People purchase rental property and other things to have tax write offs. If Trump had paid 2 million dollars every year, would that make him look smart? Most of the richest companies pay very little taxes. This just tells me that Trump is smart and knows how to work the system. We can all take a lesson from him on how to pay as little tax as possible.

What lesson is that?

Be a clown living on credit?
Lose more money than anyone else in the country and have write-offs for years?
Lie, scam, defraud and cheat everyone around you?

If it's just a game to you, and you don't think the country actually needs taxation, then just abolish all taxes and just print money to cover all the nation's bills.

Otherwise your are saying only the rich and powerful who can pay for armies of lawyers and lobbyists shouldn't have to pay, and it's the working class that should take it on the chin.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009

10 years ago I would agree. Now not so much.
Tax cut after tax cut I never see any significant change in my taxes due. Sure maybe $200 or if I am lucky $350.
Today people who think like you describe are suckers. They keep believing that someday they’ll have tens of millions and be able to roll around in all that money tax free. They are the same people who shout about the biggest tax cuts ever but will never say what their total earning were for the year to verify their claim of saving thousands of dollars.

Edit: one of the Bush cuts got me around a $1k tax savings, I think but again that’s a nice savings but it certainly isn’t no life changing.

Edit 2: come on the President owns a helicopter, two jets, at least one limo and likely more, he has gold trimmed rooms and A FUCKING GOLD TOILET.
To me and I believe most someone with those items should consistently pay more than $1k in federal taxes per year.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Seriously guys, if you are thinking an analysis of these tax returns will not result in finding serious criminal activity you are making a foolish bet.
You really think that the CPA firm that did Trumps taxes reported criminal activity to the federal government and no action was taken?

• Haha
Reactions: ivwshane

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
This must be hitting home. Fox is silent on it and running stories about Trump asking why isn't the mainstream press reporting on Hunter's scandals? Also Ben Carson: Trump's vision of healthcare for America is amazing. Oh and Chicago another story about violence in Chicago.
Ah was wondering how they were spinning this. Plugging their ears and lalalala. I can't hear you.

Yes he's a failed businessman. But he's a snake and squirreled away probably several hundred million in off shore accounts. And if he's forced to sell all his properties, that will push him over a billion.

But poor Baron. He's going to be the poorest of his kids. Hopefully Melania saved up.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Even just interest in a shitty bank account on $1B would result in more than $750 in taxes.
Yes it would, and that has absolutely zero to do with his taxable income. Gains are offset by cost of doing business, losses, and deprecation. You can have a billion dollars of revenue, a billion dollars in the bank, and still have zero income.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
You really think that the CPA firm that did Trumps taxes reported criminal activity to the federal government and no action was taken?

Like that would be the first CPA firm which ever advised anyone on doing something shady. You seem to forget that many firms have been fined and there are just a few CPAs in the federal pen.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
This must be hitting home. Fox is silent on it and running stories about Trump asking why isn't the mainstream press reporting on Hunter's scandals? Also Ben Carson: Trump's vision of healthcare for America is amazing. Oh and Chicago another story about violence in Chicago.

I went looking for the Fox headline on it this morning; at least on the mobile site, I had to scroll pretty far to find something. The weekend sports news headlines took priority...

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Ah was wondering how they were spinning this. Plugging their ears and lalalala. I can't hear you.

Yes he's a failed businessman. But he's a snake and squirreled away probably several hundred million in off shore accounts. And if he's forced to sell all his properties, that will push him over a billion.

But poor Baron. He's going to be the poorest of his kids. Hopefully Melania saved up.

WH: “Engineering, divert full power to the deflector shields!!!”

Fox: “Aye aye, Captain!”
01c2ccb619ad9fec43a5e3b512929e1f.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Related but off topic.
Kind of strange how the AMT was designed to catch behavior like this but now it is far more prone to catch a household like mine than the Presidents.

This is the AMT running into a host of tax regulations around real estate that can turn profits into losses that can be carried for years masking future profits. Developers have some of the most favorable tax treatments of all.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Yes it would, and that has absolutely zero to do with his taxable income. Gains are offset by cost of doing business, losses, and deprecation. You can have a billion dollars of revenue, a billion dollars in the bank, and still have zero income.

If you know anything about business, you cannot run multiple business that lose money, even for tax purposes and continue to have the cash to support these losing operations. Cash runs dry. Could be why he has $421,000,000 in upcoming loans due. Seems it a paper tiger. Roar!

Reactions: Meghan54

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Yeh, it's the ultimate expression of patriotism, obviously.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No, why would I think that? How exactly do you think that people with accountants so frequently get in trouble for tax crimes and the accountants don’t go to jail with them? The CPA relies on the information given them.

Again, the evidence is very strong that Trump committed major tax fraud earlier in life. Is your argument that he decided to stop? If so, why? Also, if you think accountants would notify the feds, why didn’t they notify them before?

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
From the Times article:

Mr. Trump harvested that refund bonanza by declaring huge business losses — a total of $1.4 billion from his core businesses for 2008 and 2009 — that tax laws had prevented him from using in prior years.

But to turn that long arc of failure into a giant refund check, he relied on some deft accounting footwork and an unwitting gift from an unlikely source — Mr. Obama.

Related, from 2017:

You'll find more online. For example,

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How do you feel about the parts of his returns that appear to be illegal? Was that smart to do?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It’s baffling to me that people would think because a CPA prepared someone’s return that would mean they didn’t commit tax fraud, or that if they did the CPA was in on it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's almost like tax laws were written for wealthy real estate investors.
True, but even for wealthy real estate investors the amount Trump was paying in taxes is INCREDIBLY and suspiciously low.

He is either a failed businessman, a tax cheat, or both.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Did you pay more than trump did in taxes? I bet you did. Does that make you an idiot? Do you think it’s ok that a “billionaire” paid less in taxes for a whole year than you do for a whole month?

Unless you are anti American and hate our democracy, paying taxes is the very least this country asks of us. Do you hate this country and our democracy?

Our forefathers started the revolutionary war because they were being taxed but had no representation and had no say in the happenings of their lives with respect to government. Don’t you think the person in the US who has the most representation in our government should at least be posting more than you, someone who probably is least represented in our government? If not why?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
His net worth is still 2.5B.

No matter how much you want to tell yourself that you're smarter and hes dumb.... He still has more than you. Let that sink in. You're not special.... Other than being a snowflake.

lol, donald trump would be far richer today if he had invested his inheritance in an index fund rather than going into business and he isn't worth '2.5 billion', his wealth is a house of cards stacked with a shit ton of debt.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
One of the illegalities Trump is accused of is undervaluing assets for taxes and overvaluing the same assets for loans. Completely illegal. CPA is in no position to know the true value of any asset.