Trump Orders Head of DC National Guard to Resign at 12:01 PM Inauguration Day

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Big Gold Letters spelling TRUMP on the front lawn would be likely, with billboards with directions to the Old Library (I mean new Trump hotel) and to the new Russian backed Lobbying (Opps consulting firm) right around the corner also.

Здравствуйте!

Actually, the bolded should reference the Russian American Chamber of Commerce (RACC).

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Big Gold Letters spelling TRUMP on the front lawn would be likely, with billboards with directions to the Old Library (I mean new Trump hotel) and to the new Russian backed Lobbying (Opps consulting firm) right around the corner also.

Здравствуйте!

идиот!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The left complains that President-elect Trump isn't draining the swamp, and then when he starts to drain the swamp they complain he's a callous bastard for draining the swamp.

What purpose was served in firing him? How does it form part of the "draining the swamp" metaphor?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The thread title is wrong. Trump had nothing to do with it and has no power to dismiss anyone, until after he's sworn in. The order came from the Pentagon, as for whatever reason, the Army wanted to replace him.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/13/head-dc-national-guard-to-step-down-during-inauguration.html

"The Post reported that there have been contradictory stories about the behind-the-scenes developments leading to the decision. A person close to the Trump transition team reportedly said transition officials wanted to keep him, but the Army pushed for a replacement. Schwartz reportedly said the orders came in an email from the Pentagon. He will be replaced by a brigadier general at 12:01 p.m."

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Trump is probably afraid that he'll be toppled by protests like the other Putin puppet in Ukraine was, so he wants his loyalists in charge of the DC militia.

It's much worse than that.....

...of course the dude doesn't make a case for it, but he did make a cup od tea. :colbert:

Feb 4, 2009
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies' if this has been said.

If Obama made the same request how many Red State gun guys plus Lying Ted would be going all Jade Helm anticipating a coup?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
The left complains that President-elect Trump isn't draining the swamp, and then when he starts to drain the swamp they complain he's a callous bastard for draining the swamp.
It's purely a control issue. They are not wired with a good coping mechanism to deal with things that aren't going their way.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
The thread title is wrong. Trump had nothing to do with it and has no power to dismiss anyone, until after he's sworn in. The order came from the Pentagon, as for whatever reason, the Army wanted to replace him.
Now, the same people lamenting that Trump had given this order before being sworn in will be lamenting that Trump didn't reverse this perceived travesty before being sworn in.

Oh, and they fell for fake news yet again.

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006

Yes, because telling a person appointed by George Bush and kept on by Obama that he has to leave the very second the day after Inauguration instead of waiting until the inauguration celebration is over is petty politics. Relinquishing command in the middle of the celebration/event is not ideal, even if you have a ready successor. He's in charge of security and will be busy, not idly sitting at a desk sucking his thumb.

Even if it was the military's idea I would think like most people they would wait until the celebration/event is over and then have the event transferred. Trump's transition team didn't object so yes, this is on them.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Of course Trump can appoint who he likes, but he going about it in a half assed manor. People in positions like these are not "The Swamp".

He is busy creating another swamp at the moment, while randomly wrecking things with little to no thought of what will be a replacement, just because he is able to.

"You're Fired", etc.
Could this be the makings of Donald's new TV show "DC Apprentice?":eek: Furthermore, will he deliver his state of the union addresses via twitter?

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Trump is probably afraid that he'll be toppled by protests like the other Putin puppet in Ukraine was, so he wants his loyalists in charge of the DC militia.
Bingo. He knows there are going to be major protests. He wants his thug in there to quell the crowds. I think I may actually watch this Inauguration for a change and gets some popcorn.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Sure. Trump wants to replace everyone he can, doesn't stop to think about the potential consequences, and doesn't care about how it impacts the lives of the people being replaced.
The next 4 years will be run this way.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
My sister told me she wanted to join the Navy back in November. She has since changed her mind as she does not want to serve under Trump. We were days away from a planned trip to a recruitment center so she could ask questions and get more information about enlisting.

Oh well.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/13/head-dc-national-guard-to-step-down-during-inauguration.html

"The Post reported that there have been contradictory stories about the behind-the-scenes developments leading to the decision. A person close to the Trump transition team reportedly said transition officials wanted to keep him, but the Army pushed for a replacement. Schwartz reportedly said the orders came in an email from the Pentagon. He will be replaced by a brigadier general at 12:01 p.m."

Maj. Gen. Errol Schwartz, a political appointee, says the timing is "very unusual,” considering he’ll send Guardsmen out to protect Trump and hundreds of thousands of others on Inauguration Day but must resign the minute after Trump is sworn in Jan. 20 at noon.

“My troops will be on the street,” he told The Washington Post. “I’ll see them off, but I won’t be able to welcome them back to the armory.”

However, the head of the District's National Guard serves at the pleasure of the president, unlike the commanders of state-level National Guard units.

And a senior Defense Department official tells Fox News that the Trump presidential transition team, after learning about the situation, offered Schwartz, a Bush appointee, a few additional days on the job but that he refused.

A person close to the team reportedly said members indeed wanted to keep Schwartz but that the Army pushed for a replacement.

A senior Defense official also told Fox that the Army was neither consulted nor notified about the Schwartz decision.

“The Army leadership had nothing to do with the decision," the official said.

Schwartz reportedly said the final orders came in an email from the Pentagon.

Like hundreds of other political appointees, Schwartz must tender his resignation and leave his post immediately after Trump, a Republican, officially takes office.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/1...-having-to-step-down-during-inauguration.html

My troops will be on the street,” said Schwartz, who turned 65 in October. “I’ll see them off, but I won’t be able to welcome them back to the armory.” He said he would “never plan to leave a mission in the middle of a battle.
Schwartz said he will work up until that moment, and then plans to retire from the Army. “I’m a soldier,” he said. “I’m a presidential appointee. Therefore, the president has the power to remove me.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...b5164beba6b_story.html?utm_term=.01d9025290c1

The head of the District of Columbia National Guard has been ordered to step down immediately after President-elect Donald Trump takes office.

A guard spokesman, Maj. Byron Coward, said Friday that Maj. Gen. Errol Schwartz will be stepping down at 12:01 p.m. on Jan. 20, just after Trump is sworn in.

Unlike the commanders of state-level National Guard units, the head of the District's National Guard serves at the pleasure of the president. At the time Schwartz departs, he will be in the midst of commanding thousands of Guard troops from the District and around the country who are providing support for the inauguration.

Schwartz told The Washington Post in an interview "the timing is very unusual" but that he's following orders.

"I'm a soldier," he told the newspaper, adding that he has not been told why he was asked to step down.
https://www.armytimes.com/articles/head-of-dc-national-guard-to-step-down-during-trump-inauguration

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Food grade fluorescent yellow is cheaply available. Hmmm.

$20 says he doesn't make it a year before some enterprising person attaches a canister of bright yellow tracer dye to a drone and sends it into one of the WH fountains.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
My sister told me she wanted to join the Navy back in November. She has since changed her mind as she does not want to serve under Trump. We were days away from a planned trip to a recruitment center so she could ask questions and get more information about enlisting.

Oh well.
that is sad.

Serving is a calling for many. Politics shouldn't get involved in this decision.

Serving should be an honour because you do it for your country, not your elected leader.