Trump Orders Head of DC National Guard to Resign at 12:01 PM Inauguration Day

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
Sure. Trump wants to replace everyone he can, doesn't stop to think about the potential consequences, and doesn't care about how it impacts the lives of the people being replaced.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Guy is a total loser, he doesn't even have his troops out on the streets maintaining order. So weak. MAGA!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'd just quit the day before. Right to quit... Err.. Work or something. Toddler in Chief continues his temper tantrum.

Reactions: Homerboy

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is there a link to a more believable source that might have more information on what is actually going on? Seems to me that the transition team wants to clean house and get rid of all political appointees asap, but they probably didn't think it through all the way. Having people stay on for a little while to ensure coverage after they tender their resignation makes a lot of sense to me, but what do I know.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Is there a link to a more believable source that might have more information on what is actually going on? Seems to me that the transition team wants to clean house and get rid of all political appointees asap, but they probably didn't think it through all the way. Having people stay on for a little while to ensure coverage after they tender their resignation makes a lot of sense to me, but what do I know.
I'll admit I'm not familiar with the source I linked. I'm sorta out of pocket right now so wasnt able to research much more than what's here. I'd love to see more info on this myself.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'll admit I'm not familiar with the source I linked. I'm sorta out of pocket right now so wasnt able to research much more than what's here. I'd love to see more info on this myself.

Unless someone on the transition team has a beef with this guy in particular, I can't see any logical reason why you wouldn't just let them stay on to ensure a smooth transition. Nobody ever accused this transition team of thinking things through though ;)

Reactions: Homerboy

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
The commanding officer of the DC National Guard is a presidential appointee. Like all other appointees, their job ends when a new president takes the oath of office. It is up to the new president how long any previous appointee remains in office. In Trumps case, it appears most if not all appointees will leave at or shortly after he is sworn into office. Nothing special here.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The commanding officer of the DC National Guard is a presidential appointee. Like all other appointees, their job ends when a new president takes the oath of office. It is up to the new president how long any previous appointee remains in office. In Trumps case, it appears most if not all appointees will leave at or shortly after he is sworn into office. Nothing special here.

Do you think this is normal? If so, why?

Jan 25, 2011
Except that historically they resign but serve until replaced. The Trump team wants every appointee gone the minute he's sworn in. This leaves countless posts unfilled. Read the article.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Learn to read:

"It is custom that presidential appointees tender their resignations effective January 20, when a new president is sworn in, but usually many are asked to stay in their positions until they are replaced – especially those with highly sensitive jobs.

For example, the Trump transition team did not ask the two civilian heads of a little-known agency that is responsible for ensuring America's nuclear arms are secure, to stay in their posts. Those jobs will be unfilled the moment Trump is sworn in.

There appears to be a strong intention to ensure that no Obama appointees remain in place whatsoever. Overseas ambassadors often are either asked to stay or ask to stay until their children finish the school year. All those requests were denied outright by the Trump team, with no consideration for family needs."

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Learn to read:

"It is custom that presidential appointees tender their resignations effective January 20, when a new president is sworn in, but usually many are asked to stay in their positions until they are replaced – especially those with highly sensitive jobs.

For example, the Trump transition team did not ask the two civilian heads of a little-known agency that is responsible for ensuring America's nuclear arms are secure, to stay in their posts. Those jobs will be unfilled the moment Trump is sworn in.

There appears to be a strong intention to ensure that no Obama appointees remain in place whatsoever. Overseas ambassadors often are either asked to stay or ask to stay until their children finish the school year. All those requests were denied outright by the Trump team, with no consideration for family needs."

Callous authoritarianism? From the Donald? Say it ain't so!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Here's the source article linked in your link. It's slightly less biased that the one you linked to.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dc-national-guard-chief-removed-inauguration

And from that article:

“I’m a soldier,” he said. “I’m a presidential appointee, therefore the president has the power to remove me.”

Trump's team has also ordered all politically appointed diplomats to leave their posts by Inauguration Day, breaking with tradition of allowing some ambassadors to stay on as their children finish out the school year.
This falls into the category of draining the swamp.

Jul 9, 2009
The left complains that President-elect Trump isn't draining the swamp, and then when he starts to drain the swamp they complain he's a callous bastard for draining the swamp.